Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/)
-   -   Catch Can on VM Motori Diesel? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/catch-can-on-vm-motori-diesel-73966.html)

E_Holst 04-12-2014 06:57 PM

Catch Can on VM Motori Diesel?

I have a question for those that have installed catch cans on their VM Motori diesels. Do you actually catch any oil? If so, how much and how often?

The reason I ask is after reviewing service training manual that Milous uploaded in the premium member section, it documents a centrifugal oil separator device built into the crankcase ventilator system that routes cleaned air and allows oil to flow back into the crankcase.

The manual has a couple of diagrams that shows the centrifugal oil separator, baffles, and oil flow. Here is a quote from the manual:
"The 3.0-liter diesel engine uses a centrifugal oil separator to route crankcase gases to the intake manifold. The oil separator is attached to the left side intake camshaft. Crankcase gases flow through the front engine cover into the baffling machined into the front upper left engine cover. The vapors are routed to the fresh air inlet tube and liquid oil flows back down the baffles to the crankcase
So, if you have a catch can, does it actually catch any oil?

I would find it hard to believe that the relatively simple baffle system in an aftermarket catch can would catch more oil than the centrifugal system built into the engine.

-Eric

Rumline 04-14-2014 08:09 PM

Re: Catch Can on VM Motori Diesel?

Good question... :popcorn:

Horse 04-15-2014 05:28 PM

Pull the hose off and have a look how much oil is on the inside.
you may be astounded

zzkazu 04-17-2014 02:52 AM

Have you read this thread..

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/catch...sel-73965.html

Peter.T 06-21-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E_Holst (Post 1007052)
I have a question for those that have installed catch cans on their VM Motori diesels. Do you actually catch any oil? If so, how much and how often?

The reason I ask is after reviewing service training manual that Milous uploaded in the premium member section, it documents a centrifugal oil separator device built into the crankcase ventilator system that routes cleaned air and allows oil to flow back into the crankcase.

The manual has a couple of diagrams that shows the centrifugal oil separator, baffles, and oil flow. Here is a quote from the manual:
"The 3.0-liter diesel engine uses a centrifugal oil separator to route crankcase gases to the intake manifold. The oil separator is attached to the left side intake camshaft. Crankcase gases flow through the front engine cover into the baffling machined into the front upper left engine cover. The vapors are routed to the fresh air inlet tube and liquid oil flows back down the baffles to the crankcase
So, if you have a catch can, does it actually catch any oil?

I would find it hard to believe that the relatively simple baffle system in an aftermarket catch can would catch more oil than the centrifugal system built into the engine.

-Eric

In reply to the above, I have now travelled 2000km since fitting my catch can and it has collected 20ml of oil. That equates to 100ml per 10,000km. I believe through the life of the engine this is significant.

Pete.

hi2nr 06-30-2014 09:22 AM

adding one can't hurt it :D

Starion VR4 07-26-2014 11:12 PM

Ok on Nissan Patrols we use PROVENT OIL SEPARATORS, on a STD Patrol the air from the tappet cover is routed directly back into the inlet before the turbo, the oil mist eventually clogs up the inlet track & oils up the intercooler making it totally(well next to) useless. The PROVENT system has membrane & removes the oil form the air & hence stops the mess in the inlet system.

Read here...
ZD30 Engine Problems

I for one will be using a Provent 200 when my JGC arrives.. the amount of oil I have seen in inlet of some patrols is alarming, once we cleaned them up & installed the system... It never oiled up again .

iboughtajeep 08-01-2014 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starion VR4 (Post 1057219)
Ok on Nissan Patrols we use PROVENT OIL SEPARATORS, on a STD Patrol

Who is "we", and what relevance has the patrol engine with the VM motori engine other than they are both turbo diesel? The VM motori engine is designed to meet a far more stringent set of emissions standards. It also has a far more complex exhaust system...
Im not saying it won't benefit from a catch can, but at which point does one require one?