Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Grease In Both Front Wheels... Normal? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/grease-in-both-front-wheels-normal-73976.html)

PhillyAnt 04-12-2014 11:35 PM

Grease In Both Front Wheels... Normal?

2 Attachment(s)
So I noticed a few days ago that the inside of my front wheels had loads of grease in them. Nothing in the rear wheels. Does anyone know if this is normal for a new Jeep? Should I be concerned? Here are a few pictures.

ENFORCER 04-12-2014 11:39 PM

Re: Grease In Both Front Wheels... Normal?

I would get it checked out, as you may have a problem with the CV boots and may be a sign of something more serious.
The grease could get on the brakes and lead to a much worse situation.

14SummitHemi 04-13-2014 12:53 AM

Yikes, can't imagine that's normal. None on mine at delivery or 6k later. That's fresh looking fling. Dealer NOW my friend.

Blakey 04-13-2014 03:02 AM

That's not normal!!

yoda42 04-13-2014 03:46 AM

As enforcer said it looks like CV joint grease, take it to a dealer before it gets on your brakes

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

jacko15 04-13-2014 09:32 AM

Not normal. The last time I saw something like that on one of my vehicles it was a wheel bearing.

PhillyAnt 04-13-2014 10:22 AM

Oh wonderful. Guess I'm not driving to New York tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

jp467 04-13-2014 10:48 AM

My guess is CV boots. When I had my 2011 the half shafts in the rear had to be replaced due to leaking boots.

PhillyAnt 04-15-2014 01:43 PM

I dropped my Jeep off yesterday to get it checked out. I don't know the full details yet but the dealer just called and told me he put 2 brand new axles on it. He said something about the bands coming off. I was busy so I couldn't really get into detail with him. Is there anything I should ask when I go pick it up? I don't have a bunch of knowledge when it comes to things like this. What does his explanation sound like to you? He said he has never seen anything like this happen.

14SummitHemi 04-15-2014 02:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Probably one of these (~ 1 in. and ~ 4 in. clamp bands on each boot end)..

The one on left is inner boot, on right is outer boot on one shaft so you have 4 of these boots and since your grease was on the inside of rim the closest band would be the 4 incher in the right photo (outer shaft boot).

I mean, anything can happen but BOTH front wheel shafts? I don't buy it. That's an assembly not a failure issue. Freaky deaky man. :eek:

But, all fixed now. :thumbsup:

robpp 04-15-2014 02:12 PM

may want to go to the quarter wash place and see about getting and grease blobs off before you go home.
with the high pressure you should be able to clean them wheels up good.

PhillyAnt 04-15-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14SummitHemi (Post 1008043)
Probably one of these (~ 1 in. and ~ 4 in. clamp bands on each boot end)..

The one on left is inner boot, on right is outer boot on one shaft so you have 4 of these boots and since your grease was on the inside of rim the closest band would be the 4 incher in the right photo (outer shaft boot).

I mean, anything can happen but BOTH front wheel shafts? I don't buy it. That's an assembly not a failure issue. Freaky deaky man. :eek:

But, all fixed now. :thumbsup:

Yeah that was pretty freaky. Hopefully that is the last of my problems.