Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Stuck in first - CEL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/stuck-in-first-cel-74047.html)

StaticFX 04-15-2014 11:20 AM

Stuck in first - CEL

ok, heres a new one to add to the list! Got in, started it, reversed out of driveway... put in D and off i go... accelerating fine. then it tries to shift, lurches, feels like it tries 3 times... then nope, stuck in first gear. Paddles dont work, into sport mode, back out, neutral, back into drive. STUCK - Check engine light is on.

Stop turn it off... wait start it up. CEL is still on, but its shifting again. So happy I bought this truck.

Appointment tomorrow.

falcon_o 04-15-2014 11:57 AM

Re: Stuck in first - CEL

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaticFX (Post 1007988)
ok, heres a new one to add to the list! Got in, started it, reversed out of driveway... put in D and off i go... accelerating fine. then it tries to shift, lurches, feels like it tries 3 times... then nope, stuck in first gear. Paddles dont work, into sport mode, back out, neutral, back into drive. STUCK - Check engine light is on.

Stop turn it off... wait start it up. CEL is still on, but its shifting again. So happy I bought this truck.

Appointment tomorrow.

I have a 2012 5.7l Grand Cherokee which just - 59,000 miles - had a similar problem except I was stuck in 4th (limp mode) with a CEL code of P0750 =L/R (low/reverse) solenoid. The solenoid pack in the transmission failed and had to be replaced. Fortunately this was a warrantee repair.

StaticFX 04-15-2014 02:30 PM

i think i have like 6k miles... and its working fine again. but the CEL is still on.

falcon_o 04-15-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaticFX (Post 1008052)
i think i have like 6k miles... and its working fine again. but the CEL is still on.

Assuming it is intermittent and the root cause is no longer present, you can clear the light by disconnecting the battery for approx. 5 minutes. You may want to find out what the code is first. Many places such as Pep Boys will read the code for no charge.

fumblefingers1 04-15-2014 03:22 PM

Try holding right paddle toward you for 3 seconds while in drive.

StaticFX 04-15-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon_o (Post 1008068)
Assuming it is intermittent and the root cause is no longer present, you can clear the light by disconnecting the battery for approx. 5 minutes. You may want to find out what the code is first. Many places such as Pep Boys will read the code for no charge.

it turned off on its own...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fumblefingers1 (Post 1008071)
Try holding right paddle toward you for 3 seconds while in drive.

it wasnt that I know.. first thing I tried. It was stuck in 1st. Shifting into Sport/drive should reset the paddles as well....

StaticFX 04-17-2014 03:22 PM

1 full day in the shop.. no call.. sigh

lstowell 04-17-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon_o (Post 1008068)

If the light is on steady, it will usually clear itself after a few stop start cycles for most of the typical "junk" problem codes.

If it is flashing, best not to mess around.

Pretty much any cheap reader can also reset the fault--but if you do it would be good to tell service what it was.

lstowell 04-17-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaticFX (Post 1008954)
1 full day in the shop.. no call.. sigh

Call them and ask how's it going?

StaticFX 04-17-2014 08:51 PM

they called shortly after i posted.. and just as i suspected. They found nothing and ignored one request completely. sigh

There was NO CODE stored again. I know why.. because of the other problem - the "Multiple communication failure between modules" its not remembering any codes from the CEL. So.. not only could they get no code from the trans error, but they didnt even try to fix that problem. I specifically said what was wrong and they didnt even try to fix.
So.. now I have to go get the truck tomorrow, then drive it over the weekend to get the gas level low enough so the CEL light comes on.. then bring it back on mon/tues so they can THEN see the problem they already checked before.

THIS is getting old. The when i stopped in a few weeks ago to have them check it.. NO ONE WROTE IT DOWN like i asked. I hope this time its not a pickup truck for a rental.

TurboRush 04-18-2014 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaticFX (Post 1009107)
they called shortly after i posted.. and just as i suspected. They found nothing and ignored one request completely. sigh

There was NO CODE stored again. I know why.. because of the other problem - the "Multiple communication failure between modules" its not remembering any codes from the CEL. So.. not only could they get no code from the trans error, but they didnt even try to fix that problem. I specifically said what was wrong and they didnt even try to fix.
So.. now I have to go get the truck tomorrow, then drive it over the weekend to get the gas level low enough so the CEL light comes on.. then bring it back on mon/tues so they can THEN see the problem they already checked before.

THIS is getting old. The when i stopped in a few weeks ago to have them check it.. NO ONE WROTE IT DOWN like i asked. I hope this time its not a pickup truck for a rental.

The incompetence of Jeep dealers amazes me to no end. Any one else in the area you can go see?

GCLimited 04-18-2014 07:57 AM

Weakest link for Chrysler/Jeep is their dealership network IMO.

Time to find a new dealership...or have Chrysler Customer Care find one for you.