Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Radiator issues 2014 V6 Pentastar (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/radiator-issues-2014-v6-pentastar-74067.html)

Buckaroo 04-15-2014 10:05 PM

Radiator issues 2014 V6 Pentastar
 
The car's first 5,000 miles were perfect. The last 1,000+ was a 10 day trip thru New Mexico, Colorado and Utah - the car was splendid. No problems at all.

We get home today, unpack, have lunch and my wife takes the Summit up to run a couple quick errands. She comes home, parks the car, goes outside a few minutes later and there is antifreeze bubbling out of the radiator cap - there is probably a quart on the garage floor.

I let it cool for a few hours, filled it with 50/50 anti-freeze/water (it only took about a quart to fill it) and started it. After about 10 minutes, the radiator clicks on and the fluid starts overflowing again - the fan never started up - the anti freeze reservoir was up to the FULL line.

Any ideas? FTR, I'm not a car guy - doing good to get the hood up really.

BTW, I'm very grateful we had this problem in our garage instead of out on one of the very long stretches of isolated back roads we covered on our 10 day trip.

Dan JGC 04-15-2014 11:11 PM

Re: Radiator issues 2014 V6 Pentastar
 
Fan belt broken???

kennzz05 04-16-2014 03:55 AM

Re: Radiator issues 2014 V6 Pentastar
 
catch it on video if you can, then take it to the dealer, could be bad tstat, and since i assume all those defective head issues were in models past i cant imagine its that. one quart of fluid is nothing in the grand scheme of thingswhat do you mean radiator clicking on? was a/c set to run? or defroster maybe thats what you heard, cause obviously the radiator dosent make any sound and it certainly dosent go on and off, so if it was a clicking sound then likely it was the a/c compressor however the rad. fan usually runs with a/c on so not sure

also im not sure about the pentastar mtr but on my srt is not just any old antifreeze its like 20 bucks a gallon so in the future determine what it takes before possibly putting in the wrong coolant

after re reading your post i wonder if what you are hearing is the relay for the fan perhaps the elec fan has issues either way sounds like your going to the dealer

Buckaroo 04-16-2014 04:55 AM

Re: Radiator issues 2014 V6 Pentastar
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kennzz05 (Post 1008268)
catch it on video if you can, then take it to the dealer, could be bad tstat, and since i assume all those defective head issues were in models past i cant imagine its that. one quart of fluid is nothing in the grand scheme of thingswhat do you mean radiator clicking on? was a/c set to run? or defroster maybe thats what you heard, cause obviously the radiator dosent make any sound and it certainly dosent go on and off, so if it was a clicking sound then likely it was the a/c compressor however the rad. fan usually runs with a/c on so not sure

also im not sure about the pentastar mtr but on my srt is not just any old antifreeze its like 20 bucks a gallon so in the future determine what it takes before possibly putting in the wrong coolant

after re reading your post i wonder if what you are hearing is the relay for the fan perhaps the elec fan has issues either way sounds like your going to the dealer

It clicks and the anti-freeze starts to bubble out of the cap. I was assuming that was the car reaching a temp where the radiator fan is to start and help cool the engine. When the click occurs, the water in the radiator drops and then it comes back a few seconds later and overflows. Sorry, don't know how else to describe it.

The car never overheats - the temp gauge shows it less than halfway from cool to hot - right where it always runs.

You're correct - off to the dealer this morning - just didn't know what I'm dealing with and wanted some feedback.

f1anatic 04-16-2014 06:13 AM

Re: Radiator issues 2014 V6 Pentastar
 
I had my radiator replaced. Mine was leaking from the lower left side.

padgett 04-16-2014 09:11 AM

Re: Radiator issues 2014 V6 Pentastar
 
Sounds like a bad radiator cap. Hot system is pressurized. Now that mine is broken in it stays in the 197-203F range hot with a/c on. Without a/c the fan does not come on until a sill temp.

Planning to buy a travel trailer. If I see a temp issue I'll replace the V6 radiator with a HD Hemi unit and see what happens.

(when towing I drive on the temp readout, not the dash gauge).

Buckaroo 04-16-2014 09:57 AM

Re: Radiator issues 2014 V6 Pentastar
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 1008329)
Sounds like a bad radiator cap. Hot system is pressurized. Now that mine is broken in it stays in the 197-203F range hot with a/c on. Without a/c the fan does not come on until a sill temp.

Planning to buy a travel trailer. If I see a temp issue I'll replace the V6 radiator with a HD Hemi unit and see what happens.

(when towing I drive on the temp readout, not the dash gauge).

Where is the temp readout? I haven't seen one.

Thanks

lstowell 04-16-2014 03:20 PM

Re: Radiator issues 2014 V6 Pentastar
 
Could be something more serious if you see gas bubbling in the radiator... definitely sounds like the dealer is best resource here.

Rumline 04-16-2014 05:18 PM

Re: Radiator issues 2014 V6 Pentastar
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckaroo (Post 1008350)
Where is the temp readout? I haven't seen one.

If you dig through the EVIC you can get a numeric readout.

MTC595 04-16-2014 05:50 PM

Re: Radiator issues 2014 V6 Pentastar
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumline (Post 1008491)
If you dig through the EVIC you can get a numeric readout.

Unfortunately, the 2014 models only show Trans Temp and Oil Temp, no coolant temp.:mad:

Rumline 04-16-2014 06:41 PM

Re: Radiator issues 2014 V6 Pentastar
 
Oops, sorry, you are right. I was thinking of oil temp.

Buckaroo 04-16-2014 08:33 PM

Re: Radiator issues 2014 V6 Pentastar
 
The feedback about a bad radiator cap makes sense. The cap definitely didn't lock down tight when I turned it.

The service guy today said he couldn't get my fan to kick on. Something wrong there. He said the internet was down at the dealership (WTH does that have to do with anything?) so they would try again tomorrow. While there, they are doing the 2 RRT's that apply and one recall.

Does anyone know the software update that is current? Mine hasn't been done since I bought it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community