Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   K&N Air Filter for Ecodiesel? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/k-and-n-air-filter-for-ecodiesel-74075.html)

Scapie4 04-16-2014 04:08 AM

K&N Air Filter for Ecodiesel?

Do you know whether you can fit on the 2014 JGC Ecodiesel a K&N air filter, and if so what model filter do I need?

Any other suggestions?

kkreit01 04-17-2014 02:45 PM

Re: K&N Air Filter for Ecodiesel?

If it's not on their website, it's not available. I'd recommend any other if available. Autoanything is a pretty good site to start searching. You can also search the main websites: AEM, S&B, aFe, Airaid, K&N, Amsoil, etc.

nonford 04-19-2014 10:38 AM

You should search on "K&N Dusting Diesel Engine". I would avoid it. Though the argument can be made that its a fine filter, other aspects of running an oiled filter is that folks often put to much oil, or not enough oil and that leads to bigger problems. If you do use one of these and particles do bypass the filter, you may experience some things that you wish you didnt. I wouldn't bother with it. But, thats my opinion only.

The Evil Twin 04-19-2014 10:56 AM

+1 on avoiding the oiled filters on any street machine. There are numerous reasons. I use one on the race bike but that is a whole diff'rent animal.
IMHO you would be better served by using a high quality dry filter. Truthfully, the OEM. If you really want to change it Amsoil has very nice filtration products. The oil burners are force fed air so high flow filtration is less of a benefit over naturally aspirated.

ExcursionDiesel 04-19-2014 11:01 AM

K&N filters flow more and filter less. In a stock airbox, you have a fixed size and there is no way to have higher flow without reducing filtration. A larger filter will flow more with good filtration...but won't fit. The diesel pickup guys delete the stock airbox and run a much larger filter.

Higher flow filtration is VERY important and beneficial on diesels. Exhaust Gas Temperature is reduced by the free flow of air and the turbo makes more boost when its not trying to suck through a restrictive intake. Just don't give up filtration for better flow. Dusting a diesel leads to an early death!

The Evil Twin 04-19-2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExcursionDiesel (Post 1009630)
Higher flow filtration is VERY important and beneficial on diesels. Exhaust Gas Temperature is reduced by the free flow of air and the turbo makes more boost when its not trying to suck through a restrictive intake.

Only really matters if the exhaust is opened up though. Which most big diesel guys have already done. W/ a stock exhaust castrating the motor benefits are nominal, no?

howiestt 04-19-2014 12:07 PM

Seriously, dont waste you money on intake or exhaust mods on the diesel ( unless you remove the whole DPF system)...you are not really gonna see any improvement. Only a tune will see a significant gain. The diesel particulate filter (DPF) system severely limits these other bolt on mods. I went through this with my X5 diesel.

Good luck!:thumbsup: