Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Windows 8.1 and Uconnect (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/windows-8-1-and-uconnect-74090.html)

talon38c 04-16-2014 02:59 PM

Windows 8.1 and Uconnect

I got a pleasant surprise today when I heard Cortana's voice reading aloud an incoming text message. I lost this capability when I retired my Blackberry for a Lumia 930. The other day I updated my phone to the Windows 8.1 Phone beta and it finally works! I'm guessing that the upcoming update includes Bluetooth profiles that the BlackBerry had but were missing in the current OS.

WATacoRider 04-17-2014 12:10 AM

Re: Windows 8.1 and Uconnect

I have a Lumia 925, with all the final updates and just win8. It reads texts just fine.

Too bad no uconnect app though. :o

talon38c 04-17-2014 10:00 AM

You had

Did it work out of the box or later with the updates? Does it let you also dictate a reply? I have the Lumia 925 also. Just installed 8.1 which is awesome. Text messaging didn't work for me out of the box and the Uconnect site said it did not support text reading or replying.

Macaroni 04-17-2014 05:12 PM

I have a Lumia 920 that works fine for receiving and responding to text messages. Going to the uConnect website through IE also works fine for remote starting and what not.

Out of the box? No. I had to go to Settings > Ease of Access and turn on "Speech for phone accessibility" before the "Blue" update. I haven't changed anything since on the phone and have updated uConnect with every update posted. It has never stopped working for me.

The current Xbox Music app (not the developer preview 8.1 version) works very well too over Bluetooth and always had. Add an Xbox Music pass to that and you'll never get bored with the tunes. I just download the playlists to my phone and do not have to worry about data charges for streaming. I do worry about the speakers though, The Black Keys over Xbox Music through uConnect sounds real good!

I rarely post, but I'm somewhat stunned that there are three of us Lumia owners on this site. :eek:

Pyro515 04-19-2014 09:55 PM

Make that four :)

There is a setting on your phone that does the text reading, It actually doesn't have anything to do with uconnect.

With windows 8.1, is there any way to initiate a text message or Cortana? I hate having to hold down the windows button to initiate, it means I can't leave my phone in my pocket.

Mike

WATacoRider 04-20-2014 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talon38c (Post 1008808)
You had

Did it work out of the box or later with the updates? Does it let you also dictate a reply? I have the Lumia 925 also. Just installed 8.1 which is awesome. Text messaging didn't work for me out of the box and the Uconnect site said it did not support text reading or replying.

When I received my phone, I had to do 3 updates on the phone. But I currently have the Black software or whatever.

I updated it right when I got the phone, so I don't know if it would have worked before or not.

But I can not respond with a text. I can only vocally respond by calling back the person, or "I'm done". Also, for some reason, it has a hard time understanding me, when I'm saying "I'm done". Most of the time, it will re-read the text back to me.

Mashie 05-07-2014 09:31 PM

I have to say, Cortana and my WK2 seem to be playing pretty nicely together. calling, txt etc.. all done by voice is working great, I just wish I could remap the button on the steering wheel to initiate Cortana instead of having to initiate it on the phone.

This is with a Lumia 1520 on at&t and the latest Windows Phone 8.1 build installed (developer preview).