Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   "Soft" windshield 2014 Limited (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/soft-windshield-2014-limited-74143.html)

qnsexplr 04-17-2014 05:56 PM

Going on two months with my 1\14 build. Anyone finding the windshield glass to be extremely prone to scratches and chips. NY has some bad potholes but it seems every single rock ends up chipping the glass. Plus somehowe the wife scratched up the glass with the recent ice frost we had. Never had that happen before. Ideas for getting those microscratches out as they are directly in line of sight and a pain when sunny out.

pensfan414 04-17-2014 06:24 PM

Re: "Soft" windshield 2014 Limited

Absolutely agree with you, I've noticed the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Jms4218 04-18-2014 07:00 AM

Yup already had my windshield replaced. Switched my insurance to full glass and got a new windshield as I picked up over five chips in a month period. I've never owned a vehicle that was so prone to rock chips. I thought the new windshield would be better but on the way home from the glass shop I picked up another small chip. I spoke with Crysler about this and they said oh ok. The new windshield was a OEM windshield from Chrysler.

TurboRush 04-18-2014 07:49 AM

Is it the glass or could it just be something about the aerodynamics that make it more prone to take rocks to the windshield? (I have no knowledge experience with glass so just wondering).

I just remember on my Avalanche it seemed like every rock hit at about the same basic height on my hood.

AAAA 04-18-2014 01:13 PM

Yes. I have never had so many small chips in such a short time. And then it cracked. When I was working I drove 30,000+ miles per year and never had this situation.

GCLimited 04-18-2014 01:18 PM

It's not just Chrysler glass that's cheap...it's most automobile glass these days.

My Evo X, Xterra Pro4x, STI...all had cheap glass that was prone to chips and scratches.

I'm contantly lifting my wipers off the glass and wiping the blades to minimize sand scratches.

AAAA 04-18-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 1009369)
I'm contantly lifting my wipers off the glass and wiping the blades to minimize sand scratches.

You make a very good point which I learned the hard way. I forgot about my arched scratch on windshield #1.
I parked nose in at an inn with an asphalt shingle roof (like most of us) with a large overhang. It rained overnight. One wipe of the blade and I had a scratch right across my field of view... soft windshield!

woosch 04-18-2014 01:53 PM

When we picked up our brand new 2011 we got less than 5 miles from the dealer and a rock hit an broke the windshield... Had it replaced twice in the 3 years we had it... Thankfully the 2014 so far hasn't had that issue....
BTW, make sure they replace the windshield with the Mopar glass, the second replacement they put in an aftermarket windshield, it didn't fit right and whistled... Talked to the replacement company and was told that they had to replace almost all the aftermarket ones. Something about the seal at the top not being the same.

Rumline 04-18-2014 02:05 PM

I wonder how any Alaskan JGC owners feel on this issue.

MLNR 04-18-2014 02:26 PM

I am keeping the autoglass chip filler in my area in business. Worst windshield I have every owned on my '14.

Aiyer 04-18-2014 05:33 PM

I agree. Chips very easily.

Does it have to do with it being lighter? I mean, are the new windshields lighter than the ones made several years ago? My old ZJ had its windshield replaced only once in its 15 year life.

bspllc 04-18-2014 06:48 PM

Mine got scratched the first week I had it. I thought it was just me. I asked the dealer if they noticed a lot of people complaining about that and they looked at me like I was crazy.