Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f175/)
-   -   2014 SRT Headlight DRL Activation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f175/2014-srt-headlight-drl-activation-74150.html)

CLStech 04-17-2014 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT Headlight DRL Activation

This guide was created to modify the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT to use the factory enabled bumper LED strip in unison with the headlight ribbon LEDs as Daytime Running Lights. Lower model 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokees with premium lighting packages utilize the headlight ribbon LEDs as daytime running lights. Although equiped with the premium headlight package, the 2014 SRT models use only the bumper LED strip for daytime running lights. The only time the headlight LED ribbons are activated on the SRT models are when the parking or headlights are activated.

Headlight LED ribbon DRL activation is accomplished by energizing the DRL from the factory DRL circuit. By energizing the headlight LED ribbons directly, the LEDs will illuminate at full intensity. Lower model 2014 Jeep GCs illuminate at maximum intensity during the day and then lower intensity once the headlights are activated. By cutting the DRL circuit’s feed to the headlight LED ribbon when the headlights or parking lights are activated the LED ribbons will drop to a lower intensity. An automotive Relay is used to open and close the circuit.

Please find the wiring diagram of this modification below. Please feel free to ask questions if the below information is not sufficient.

Parts: soldering iron, black tape, wire cutters, voltmeter, speaker wire (16 gauge), wire loom,
3A Barrel Diode ( Radio Shack 276-1144 )
12V Automotive Relay SPDT ( Example )

Wiring Diagram:
Attachment 38377


Drivers Side
DRL Lamp (ribbon) - White w/Yellow (3)
Parking Lamp - White w/Brown (6)
Low Beam Lamp - Orange (1)

Passenger Side
DRL Lamp (ribbon) - White w/Dark Blue (3)
Parking Lamp - White w/Orange (6)
Low Beam Lamp - White w/Orange (1)

Video of Operation - * LEDs have the appearance of flashing when in low intensity mode. This is not the case in person *
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvPDBBYipS0


**This modification was derived with the help from a forum member on the other website by the username: luvofspeed **

Srt8_hmi 04-18-2014 05:38 AM

Re: 2014 SRT Headlight DRL Activation
 
Great info. I'll assume they can't be enabled through dealer software?

CLStech 04-18-2014 05:58 AM

From my knowledge and research they cannot. It may be a rule against having multiple sets of DRLs.

ENFORCER 04-18-2014 06:45 PM

Re: 2014 SRT Headlight DRL Activation
 
Do the ribbon lights still go out when you use the turn signal ?
Thanks for the writeup, will be one of my first mods

CLStech 04-18-2014 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 1009449)
Do the ribbon lights still go out when you use the turn signal ?
Thanks for the writeup, will be one of my first mods

They do not however I think it can be done. it would take a slightly more complicated circuit. Remember the ribbon does not go out with the turn signal activated if the parking/headlights are on ( dim mode).

geno51 04-21-2014 02:35 PM

Re: 2014 SRT Headlight DRL Activation
 
I for the love of everything can not get this to work. I have it hooked up EXACTLY like the diagram I used a SPDT 40a relay the exact diode from radio shack tripple checked every connection and I just cant get it to work.

I do have one question I have these
3M (18-14) Wire Taps Blue 25 Pcs. | 082-145

Used to tap into each wire on the main circuit I have checked and all my concetions are perfect including these...

I am lost. :(

CLStech 04-21-2014 02:57 PM

Re: 2014 SRT Headlight DRL Activation
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by geno51 (Post 1010440)
I for the love of everything can not get this to work. I have it hooked up EXACTLY like the diagram I used a SPDT 40a relay the exact diode from radio shack tripple checked every connection and I just cant get it to work.

I do have one question I have these
3M (18-14) Wire Taps Blue 25 Pcs. | 082-145

Used to tap into each wire on the main circuit I have checked and all my concetions are perfect including these...

I am lost. :(

The first issue I think people may run into are relays that may not be correct. Make sure your relay does indeed have the 87a pin in the middle. This pin should close the circuit when the relay is not energized and then open when energized from the headlight...
Attachment 38551


Another troubleshooting tip you should be able to do is simply bypass the relay - take the lead going to the Headlamp ribbon DRL direct to the DRL Fuse (while vehicle is running) or directly to 12 volts. ** basically start bypassing connection points.**

Keep me posted on the troubleshooting.

geno51 04-21-2014 03:10 PM

Re: 2014 SRT Headlight DRL Activation
 
A little more detail on me losing my mind.... Something is off and I can not figure it out its like its working backwards. When my headlights are off the and car is in drive the DRL lights bumper are working rest is not. When in parking light mode they are both working DRL and headlight ribbon but are dim. When I turn on the headlights or use Auto the ribbon is super bright and I can feel the relay kick. over. If I take connector the wire I have to pin 1 on the headlight harness it clicks and I can make the ribbon brighter or dimmer. My relay is this relay
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...92D_0218609384

it does have the 87a and it is hooked up exactly like the diagram.

CLStech 04-21-2014 03:16 PM

Re: 2014 SRT Headlight DRL Activation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by geno51 (Post 1010455)
A little more detail on me losing my mind.... Something is off and I can not figure it out its like its working backwards. When my headlights are off the and car is in drive the DRL lights bumper are working rest is not. When in parking light mode they are both working DRL and headlight ribbon but are dim. When I turn on the headlights or use Auto the ribbon is super bright and I can feel the relay kick. over. If I take connector the wire I have to pin 1 on the headlight harness it clicks and I can make the ribbon brighter or dimmer. My relay is this relay
NAPA AUTO PARTS

it does have the 87a and it is hooked up exactly like the diagram.

Can you take a picture of the schematic on the top of the relay. The one on the site you provided seems like 87 & 87a are connected. This would explain why it is working backwards...

geno51 04-21-2014 03:17 PM

Re: 2014 SRT Headlight DRL Activation
 
yes give me a min

geno51 04-21-2014 03:21 PM

Re: 2014 SRT Headlight DRL Activation
 
Ok I think you are right. they do look connected

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5...421_131836.jpg

So this relay is not good right??? I guess I will need to order the one you linked. As I cant seem to find any other relays in town that the 87a pin

CLStech 04-21-2014 03:23 PM

Re: 2014 SRT Headlight DRL Activation
 
1 Attachment(s)
This diagram shows how the relay should work. In my search for the proper relay I found several that have 87 & 87a connected for some odd reason. That is not the standard
Attachment 38553


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community