Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Considering purchase of 2014 JGC Limited or Overland (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/considering-purchase-of-2014-jgc-limited-or-overland-74163.html)

flyinghighx 04-18-2014 04:36 PM

Considering purchase of 2014 JGC Limited or Overland

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for mid size SUV. I had two Toyota's in the past including a Sequoia XSP. I had been seriously considering the 4runner limited. However last nite I stopped in at the local Jeep dealership and I was very impressed with both the Limited and Overland JGC. So much so I decided then that the JGC was a better choice.

Until I started reading the customer reviews of the 2014 JGC. I saw trans, uconnect, navi, hvac, and fit/finish issues. And more than just a few. So much so its scaring me a away from purchasing one.

It seems the later 2014 JGC have less issues. Any advice? Should I be looking for builds after 'x' date? I expressed my concerns to the dealer but was pretty much told I have nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks in advance. I know this is my first post but any help for a noob would be appreciated.

Dan JGC 04-18-2014 04:57 PM

Re: Considering purchase of 2014 JGC Limited or Overland

Have no fear. I would look for a more recent build date though, say after Sept 2013 (which shouldn't be sitting on a dealer's lot anyway).

2014RedHemiGC 04-18-2014 05:14 PM

Mine was built in early Sept. and has been trouble free.

SLLJG 04-18-2014 05:29 PM

My 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, has been driven 19,500 miles and has had far too many troubles from UConnect, Forward Collision Warning, and other related electronics. Its drivetrain, suspension, and body have been trouble free.

Chrysler has been remiss in updating software and firmware. My Jeep's UConnect now has v14.05.3, the current iteration, and yet it still retains some of the annoying bugs of earlier versions.

By the way, a major drawback of the current Grand Cherokee is the severely limited visibility caused by the large mirrors and huge A-pillars. That, of course, is a danger shared by models from other manufacturers.

I am now thinking of selling the Jeep and getting a 2015 Subaru Outback.

jeepgrady 04-18-2014 06:52 PM

Was thinking of trading my '12 for a summit but I must say that after reading a bunch of these threads I doubt I will. Even though it's a different type of vehicle, I'm looking at the Buick Enclave. Much better reviews.

jgc4ever 04-18-2014 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgrady (Post 1009451)
Was thinking of trading my '12 for a summit but I must say that after reading a bunch of these threads I doubt I will. Even though it's a different type of vehicle, I'm looking at the Buick Enclave. Much better reviews.

What's wrong with keeping your 2012? 2012 is a very new vehicle.

jeepgrady 04-18-2014 08:37 PM

My '12 is perfect. I just like getting a new vehicle every couple of years. By the way, my wife agrees with you.

flyinghighx 04-18-2014 08:44 PM

Thanks for the replies…

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan JGC (Post 1009420)
Have no fear. I would look for a more recent build date though, say after Sept 2013 (which shouldn't be sitting on a dealer's lot anyway).

Hard to read some of the reviews and not be concerned. (ok scared…lol)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014RedHemiGC (Post 1009426)
Mine was built in early Sept. and has been trouble free.

Nice to hear yours has been trouble free. :) How’s the gas milage on the V8?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLLJG (Post 1009435)
My 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, has been driven 19,500 miles and has had far too many troubles from UConnect, Forward Collision Warning, and other related electronics. Its drivetrain, suspension, and body have been trouble free.

Do you know the build date on yours? Btw the Overland in White with Vesuvio Indigo Blue interior is what I looked at. Very nice! ….frustrating to hear about these issues because I really like the vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgrady (Post 1009451)

Again, frustrating. I really like the JGC.

polizei 04-19-2014 04:48 AM

Mmmm, I was in the same boat. I was debating between several SUV's, but ultimately when I drove the JGC I knew I wanted it. I don't really know how to describe it, it was just better IMO, it felt like it "fit" me.

That said, I ordered a Limited, but between all the issues, problems, and lack of warranty support I've been reading (eg. lift and tires), it was VERY hard to consider the Jeep. Overall, I hope by ordering one, that it would be "better" than the earlier ones, and be problem free...but who knows.

The main problem I have, is that I can buy a Chevy Equinox 2LT with leather for $28k, and I'm confident it would be trouble free. The Limited is $40k and I can't say I'm confident that it won't fall apart on me! That's scary, for sure...

FWIW, it really seems like the newer builds have far less issues than the early ones. Also, just keep in mind how many JGC's are out there, you typically only hear about the problematic ones on forums.

Roger Ramjet 04-19-2014 06:48 AM

I have a September build and have had zero problems. As for mpg difference from my 2012 V6 to my 2014 V8, it works out to 1.6mpg (I use an app to calculate vs the "optimistic" EVIC).

canistel 04-19-2014 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polizei (Post 1009586)
Mmmm, I was in the same boat. I was debating between several SUV's, but ultimately when I drove the JGC I knew I wanted it. I don't really know how to describe it, it was just better IMO, it felt like it "fit" me.

That said, I ordered a Limited, but between all the issues, problems, and lack of warranty support I've been reading (eg. lift and tires), it was VERY hard to consider the Jeep. Overall, I hope by ordering one, that it would be "better" than the earlier ones, and be problem free...but who knows.

The main problem I have, is that I can buy a Chevy Equinox 2LT with leather for $28k, and I'm confident it would be trouble free. The Limited is $40k and I can't say I'm confident that it won't fall apart on me! That's scary, for sure...

FWIW, it really seems like the newer builds have far less issues than the early ones. Also, just keep in mind how many JGC's are out there, you typically only hear about the problematic ones on forums.

The equinox is small though, much smaller than GC (which is a mid sized suv). If I offload my GC it will be replaced with the Tahoe (the shortest version), I couldn't ever push around a little shoebox like the equinox :)

flyinghighx 04-19-2014 08:18 AM

This ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by polizei (Post 1009586)
I was debating between several SUV's, but ultimately when I drove the JGC I knew I wanted it. I don't really know how to describe it, it was just better IMO, it felt like it "fit" me.

….The Limited is $40k and I can't say I'm confident that it won't fall apart on me! That's scary, for sure...

I'm just not sure I'm ready to take a 40k gamble. But if I go another direction I'll feel like I'm 'settling' for second choice :(

I agree about reviews, people are more likely to write complaints vs compliments. However all the other SUVs I've looked at had very little consumer reviews (edmunds/cars etc) while the 14JGC had a bunch.