Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

new lockpick for the 8,4 uconnect, 99% software

Tags
uconnect
453K views 2K replies 162 participants last post by  Electronut 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Oh boy! Nice find, I like their approach to this... In for more information!

#5 · (Edited)
I am about to pull the trigger on this or the US version of the Lockpick. The Lockpick is hardware based, Customtronix RAX Lock Pick is software based. Wife's blessings and all. I had the car in shop for a while and adding the front parking sensors as I originally intended might be $1000 dollar job between adding the sensors, buying a new harness, reprogramming and so on. As the sensors can only do so much, though realistically they would complement the camera when parking, I will definitely pursue the camera since it has more value for the money.

While I appreciate the elegant version of the Customtronix...here's something to worry about

http://www.customtronix.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=6&view=finish&cid=38&catid=3

Information and troubleshooting
1. Do NOT upgrade the Navigations Software (firmware) under any circumstances
First entry on the installation menu. It pretty much means you are stuck with whatever version of UCONNECT you have until you take some more steps to revert back....then go forward with the software hack.

But best if I send them an e-mail, get some info and prices and see how it compares to the 400 dollar US variant. I emailed them and I will share the response.

the coastal tech solution also allows for more cameras including turn signal synced ones and provides the power source for the camera. Then again, thicker wire(s) to pull through the firewall but you don't have to tinker with connecting the power for the front cam in the engine compartment. On the software side, definitely not elegant having to press 14 times a button...

#6 ·
While I appreciate the elegant version of the Customtronix...here's something to worry about

http://www.customtronix.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=6&view=finish&cid=38&catid=3
Information and troubleshooting
1. Do NOT upgrade the Navigations Software (firmware) under any circumstances
First entry on the installation menu. It pretty much means you are stuck with whatever version of UCONNECT you have until you take some more steps to revert back....then go forward with the software hack.
I definitely expected that caveat when dealing with a simple software mod using the Customtronix piece. I would think that they would have to issue updates to you every time the Uconnect Software is updated. That will definitely test their customer service, but it is something that should can be accomplished.

#7 ·
I don't know, that's like once a quarter or so. That's pretty rough for them.

I am just about to get out of one prison (jailbroken iPhone), don't won't to walk into another one (hacked Uconnect). :eek:

Can you imagine rolling in to your dealer with a hacked Uconnect for radio/Uconnect issues. :nutkick:

#8 ·
With it being software you could simply roll back to factory firmware as well. I would feel very comfortable simply upgrading/downgrading firmware to the system after doing the last two updates for the uconnect myself.
I can see the positives and negatives though...

#10 ·
This
Hi,

Currently we do not offer this service/product.

When it will be available we will list the product along with additional information.

I hope the product will be listed in the coming week/s or so.

Rgds,
H. Hansson
CTX.

Sent: Monday, April 21, 2014 1:52 PM
To: info@customtronix.com
Subject: Lock Pick for 8.4AN Chrysler Radio

Sender details:
Greetings, I recently watched the Youtube video on the new Lockpick solution (software) for the Dodge Ram and I would like to know if a similar option exists for the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
THE VIDEO
Lockpick - YouTube

I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the RA4 navigation. I am interested in your mostly-software based Lockpick. I would like to know a couple of things aside from availability.
- How much is the hardware and software (re-programming)?
- How do you re-program ? Via USB ?
- How do you revert to stock (aside from removing the harness)?
- How do you continue to upgrade the UCONNECT software with factory specs ? Or do you provide your own custom upgrades? Or do you revert to factory ...upgrade...and re-enable the Customtronix hack?
- Will the software you provide also disable the navigation screen keyboard lock so I can input navigation address while in motion?
- Do you have the product advertised on your webpage?
- Could you e-mail me a copy of the installation instructions to assess for myself the complexity of the software installation?

I like your elegant solution much better than the Lockpick Coastal Tech product due to the reduced complexity. At this point in time I am only interested in adding a front camera.

Thank you.

#12 ·
Hi Broddas!! I´m the one behind this project.
First of all we have been playing with this unit since it was released and know more than most of HB engineers. Since this is just one of our products we are very fast on our updates and it´s more or less automatically done by our source software. So for us to upgrade is not like doing something from scratch.
We have updated the software more than 6 times already since there where so many bad bugs and stupid miss takes in the software (from HB). The problem is that all units in the software is updated every time, thats why we need our patched software.

But this is just the beginning:) would you like to have the "SRT" app available in a none SRT car? get the Network provider from you phone instead of the Sprint, be able to set up your own Wifi hotspot? Oboy there´s so many funny things in the pipe.

Regards
Magnus

#15 ·
I'll paint my Jeep passion pink if it means I can have all the above and successfully "live" with the Uconnect update/hack update cycle. Always seems to be a gotcha with my iPhone jailbreaks and iOS updates but that is with a VERY talented Apple anti-jailbreak focus which I know the Uconnect team cannot possibly possess that focus or talent.

I remain optimistic......;)

#16 ·
I love to see your car pink:) With out going in to deep about code you can´t compare heavily encrypted and compressed infromation in this case it´s all about signing the code and that is what we can do. So there´s nothing to hack or reverse engineer for us, just plain simple adding feutures..Like with the VES system Blu ray we added today. You can´t buy a ram with VES, but we can add it for you or the CD player some people insist to have and all thru the original GUI. It´s like it came with a VES from Factory 100% oem.

#20 ·
sure u r right...man, I can't sleep over this! :eek:

when folks were knocking the 8.4 screen for being low-tech/res I was like no big deal, "It's not like you can play video or anything." OOPS!

#21 · (Edited)
I can't quite answer my question with the video but does the current version (actually will the US 8.4AN RA4 version) have speed lockout? I think that is a US thing and not Euro?

Another question, 99% software? What's the 1%? Your video shows camera installs. Do they have to be installed? Can this use just my current rear camera without having any front camera installed?

#23 · (Edited)
I was hoping the gentleman would (attempt to) respond to my earlier questions.
anyways, poking around on his website, you get to this page:
http://www.customtronix.com/index.p...art&page=shop.browse&category_id=17&Itemid=92

Here you find the different software conversions for Chrysler that the company has already implemented. I clicked on this Chrysler / Jeep / Dodge RB5/6 8.4N Conversion just to see what it is about. This is not the product that he would be offering but it did help create an opinion. Then there is this conversion, of the 8.4 Uconnect from other regions to European region. This is a software only update, similar to what probably the gentleman would be able to offer for the unlocking of features (e.g. SRT) or enabling of additional cameras.

I definitely see the advantages of a software -only approach. And I definitely see who would be interested in doing this - people buying US cars and exporting (parallel imports) to Europe or Middle East. US prices for cars are often much lower - in Europe they pay a higher numerical value in Euro than we pay in US dollars. In Italy, an Overland diesel can be 70,000 Euros.

However, for my modest needs (a front camera to assist with parking), I have to say that their prices are ... discouraging and disclaimers like this, below, make me nervous because I relinquish control to a 3rd party, i may need access to a StarScan tool (which typically only dealers have) and of course may create possible warranty nightmares.

399 Euro = 552 USD to 499 Euro = 691 USD

The maps can after conversion only be updated by us. On most cars (not all) Radio frequencies/steps and DVD region can be set in the car configuration by a garage having a StarScan tool.
I remain interested but I have a feeling that for the casual user like me, this software upgrade might be too much hassle.

#24 ·
@f1anatic I like your research style my friend!

#25 ·
I'm just gonna lurk on the sidelines and see what materializes for the 8.4AN/RA4 and go from there. You gents have a great handle on the relevant discussion points.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Reactions: xBKx
#26 ·
Luckily after the next update, the update cycle should slow down a little and or the updates will address specific model level problems that may or may not affect your vehicle.

Later on updates will become more about the change log and whether it is something you want.

Count me as interested, I see a wireless camera for my trailer being integrated in my future :)

#36 ·
So with an enclosed trailer with a light vent you could use a cam to monitor load shifting live when that a-hole makes you slam the brakes on...hmmm....niiice!

#37 ·
Take my money!!! You guys freaking nailed it!

#47 ·
Been watching your Youtube videos, you bloody beauty !!!!

Not only am I going to buy this as soon as you confirm working on a AU model, but as this is software based the sky is the limit I cannot wait to see what other app's get released for this !!!!!

1) A Torque type app that allows you to log to USB. :eek:

I know small things amuse small minds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.