Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   front end noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/front-end-noise-74238.html)

Brad71 04-21-2014 06:37 AM

front end noise

Good morning every one,
I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 motor. when I put my brakes on I hear a noise from the front that sounds like gears or a something. I thought it was the wheel hub assemble so I changed that and I put new brake pads as well. and the noise is still there. it sounds the worst when you go faster to a stop. slow speeds to a stop its no as loud.
if any one has had this problem or has any ideas that would be great ,
thank you for your time.

Frango100 04-21-2014 06:59 AM

Re: front end noise

Welcome to the garage.
The noise really only happens when braking and not in any other circumstances?
No pumping feeling in the brake pedal (warped discs)?
Did you check for play on the brake sliding pins? (Did you lubricate them during reassembly to prevent other problems lateron?)
No damage visible to the driv e shaft CV boots?

Brad71 04-21-2014 07:34 AM

I did lube the slides and the clips that hold the pads in. the CV boot looks fine. the rotor I guess will be next.

Brad71 05-02-2014 05:24 AM

I had a few people look at this problem and has come down to the front drive shaft. a friend and I had noticed that it was out of wack a little. we took it out and the noise stoped. Some one told me that the fluid in the transfer case should be replaced with a thicker gear lube. not sure if that's a good idea or even solve the problem. I did replace the driver side wheel hub assemble after I did the front brakes thinking that was it. the noise was still there. it was getting real violent when I put the brakes on before I took the drive shaft out. would a bent drive shaft cause that much vibration?

wkxj 05-07-2014 11:36 AM

Put the specified lube in the Tcase ONLY! Disregard further advice from whomever gave you that.
Worn joints will cause a host of vibes. Repair or replace. Your problem will likely be solved.

Frango100 05-07-2014 10:28 PM

Your jeep is most probably quadra drive or quadra trac II and uses the NV247 T-case. Using a thicker fluid in there then the one advertised by jeep sounds foolish. The fluid has a special jeep P/N, but is just Mobil 424 fluid.
A bend propeller shaft could cause a lot of vibration, but i would not expect it to appear during braking only. Check the propeller shaft joints ( CV or U joints) for play. Eventhough removing the propeller shaft solved the problem, it will not 100 % guarantee that the problem is the shaft itself. There could eventually be a problem inside the differential or the T-case. A too far stretched chain inside the T-case for example caused strange noises with other members jeeps before.