Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Quadra Lift Service Advice (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/quadra-lift-service-advice-74248.html)

Dwilliamson5002 04-21-2014 11:44 AM

Quadra Lift Service Advice

Any advice on getting in and out of a dealer faster with a Quadra Lift system that will not go into OR1 or OR2? It also seems to make a lot of air pressure type noises from the tank under the back seats...but like most other Park, Aero/Sport, and normal mode seem to work fine for the most part.

I searched and read about a lot of peoples issues with the system...

I bought my Jeep a few weeks ago and then bought the warranty about a week later. Trying to give it a couple of weeks before I take it in, I don't want the dealer or Chrysler giving me crap for buying the warranty and coming in right after I bought it...

I only get 5 days with the rental car according to the MaxCare warranty, so dont want one of these 3 weeks nightmares.

Edit: It is a 2011 Overland Summit with 48K miles. Jeep Dealers said my VIN has never been to a Jeep Dealer for service for the Quadra Lift, but who knows how long it has been this way with not using OR1 or OR2.

Any advice for me? For me for the dealer?

Peter_K 04-21-2014 02:44 PM

Re: Quadra Lift Service Advice

It's likely low nitrogen pressure in the tank. Since your other modes work okay, it likely simply has lost some nitrogen and can't maintain enough pressure to get to ORA1 or ORA2.

With the QL system, the tank is maintained at pressure. When you go to raise, valves are opened to let the pre-pressurized nitrogen from the tank into the air springs. When you go to lower, the compressor runs to pump nitrogen from the springs back into the tank (a bit opposite from what you might intuitively think -- the compressor runs when lowering, not raising).

Possible causes:

1) Loss of nitrogen: could be a small slow leak or age (you will lose some over time as no seal is perfect). If the latter, you might just need a recharge.

2) Compressor unable to pressurize tank high enough. Could be a bad compressor in this case.

3) It's slightly possible it's neither of these and it could be a height sensor issue.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Jackspat2 04-21-2014 07:58 PM

The power train warranty may cover this anyway, not your extended.

Peter_K 04-21-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackspat2 (Post 1010571)
The power train warranty may cover this anyway, not your extended.

Powertrain won't cover the suspension.

I wouldn't worry about when you bought the warranty.

Dwilliamson5002 04-21-2014 08:54 PM

Yeah they said the Maxcare warranty covers pretty much all aspects of the quadra lift. I bought it for that and the stuff around the power train the power train warranty doesn't cover

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

xj31 04-26-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_K (Post 1010442)
It's likely low nitrogen pressure in the tank. Since your other modes work okay, it likely simply has lost some nitrogen and can't maintain enough pressure to get to ORA1 or ORA2.

With the QL system, the tank is maintained at pressure. When you go to raise, valves are opened to let the pre-pressurized nitrogen from the tank into the air springs. When you go to lower, the compressor runs to pump nitrogen from the springs back into the tank (a bit opposite from what you might intuitively think -- the compressor runs when lowering, not raising).

Possible causes:

1) Loss of nitrogen: could be a small slow leak or age (you will lose some over time as no seal is perfect). If the latter, you might just need a recharge.

2) Compressor unable to pressurize tank high enough. Could be a bad compressor in this case.

3) It's slightly possible it's neither of these and it could be a height sensor issue.

Well thats not really how it works. The compressor moves the nitrogen from the reservoir/tank to the springs and from the springs back to the tank. It runs to raise and lower the Jeep.I would be willing to bet that the compressor is weak. Usually if there is a leak, its catastrophic. I have never seen one come in low, only empty. The system has the ability to make up for a small leak by drawing in air. Leaks are usually busted lines or split open air bags.

Dwilliamson5002 05-05-2014 11:38 AM

Well I decided to drop it off at the dealer this morning. Got a call back a couple hours later saying it was ready and that it just needed a "flash" for the computer that controls the QL...

It was 20 bucks to do the flash, so no need to use the MaxCare...

Got to the dealer and all worked except OR2. So pulled it back in the service lane and they took it on back again. The tech that worked on it came out and was miffed...He said it worked when he controlled it from the computer on the bench.

Guess we will see when they call later...

jp467 05-05-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_K (Post 1010442)

Possible causes:

The system is designed to make up for small losses on its own. So this is most likely a leak or a bad compressor.

Dwilliamson5002 05-05-2014 07:54 PM

Looks like a bad ASCM. They flashed it and it worked better, but not fixed. They reprogrammed and calibrated it and it worked twice up ad down and then back to the way it was when I first came in...

Taking it in again tomorrow for round 3.

Little upset they asked me why I even need OR2 mode work...my answer was because it is so posed to.

TurboRush 05-05-2014 08:26 PM

Cause you like to pay for features that don't work...

Dwilliamson5002 05-06-2014 08:33 AM

Back again and they are going to replace the compressor and/or ASCM and hope that fixes it...

Looks like the flash and reprogram was a waste. Looks like the compressor or ASCM does not know how to work anymore. I just keeps purging the nitrogen out of the system.

whartung 05-06-2014 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwilliamson5002 (Post 1017258)
Little upset they asked me why I even need OR2 mode work...my answer was because it is so posed to.

Truth. What a silly question.

"Well, I forgot my thermos as the top of the Rubicon trail, and need to hop back up and go get it."