Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   About to jump 2014 GC Overland (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/about-to-jump-2014-gc-overland-74288.html)

MCB9 04-22-2014 10:25 AM

About to jump 2014 GC Overland

Noob here. Adding to the stable and playing musical vehicles so the teen can have his own. I have the oldest one - 2002 w/ 170K so I get the new. :D After test driving MDX, RDX, Q7, Q5, RX, Explorer, GC, Highlander, I keep getting drawn back to the GC and have decided on the Overland. This forum has been helpful. I have a couple questions though but they aren't deal breakers. I am just asking for some feedback.

For those in the midwest after this brutal winter, the lower grill seems to be a snow and slush catcher compared to our CR-V front end. I know that is where the sensor is, not to mention the mess it can make in the garage. What has been your experience?

Since we can't test drive at night (dealer closes at 8) how well do the fog lights light up toward the side? My SO is skeptical of them.

The VIN is in the 432000 range - about how long has it been on the lot? Should I be concerned if it has a couple hundred miles on it?

I have a very good deal on the table....:)

Thanks!

1quick1 04-22-2014 11:29 AM

Re: About to jump 2014 GC Overland

I haven't had any issue with the the Jeep being a snow plow. Yea you'll jam some in there but it'll all fall/melt out.

As for the fog lights. They add a little bit but not much to speak of. Maybe a 10% boost. When driving down the road and you turn them off and on you can tell a difference but if I jumped in the Jeep for the first time there isn't a clear indicator they are on or not. So yea they light the road up a few feet in front of you and do make a difference but not much.

lstowell 04-24-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1quick1 (Post 1010908)
I haven't had any issue with the the Jeep being a snow plow. Yea you'll jam some in there but it'll all fall/melt out.

As for the fog lights. They add a little bit but not much to speak of. Maybe a 10% boost. When driving down the road and you turn them off and on you can tell a difference but if I jumped in the Jeep for the first time there isn't a clear indicator they are on or not. So yea they light the road up a few feet in front of you and do make a difference but not much.

I have a May 2014 Overland. Agree, the fogs are a tad underwhelming compared to just adjusting the HIDeous main lights down just a tad [long phillips, easy]. The fogs only light up the road right in front of the vehicle to speak of, haven't tried any aftermarket bulbs yet.

I wouldn't say it is a snow catcher, but if you drive in blizzards and deep snow at well below freezing, it can build up ice on the rear sensors enough it will disable them until cleared. I don't recall any problems with the front sensor driving in Colorado/Utah blizzards. It isn't that hard to keep a small spray bottle of windshield fluid mixed about half and half with PURE isopropyl alcohol with just a shot of Windex in it... keep it inside the vehicle to keep it warm, or pour a bit into a Wagan coffee mug and heat it up good.

I have the Mopar mudflaps, and they help keep stuff off a bit, but when it is really cold, I've iced up the sides, the wheel wells, etc. enough that the air suspension will not lower to park either. That's a tad harder to deal with unless you have a pressure washer with a hot water feed. Not as bad as an older ZJ.

You'll also want to use the manual controls and defrost to keep the front windows clear in truly bad, cold weather, but if cranked they seem to work better than an old ZJ did. May look into a heated windshield washer replacement for next winters "I ain't staying home as long as I own a Jeep" type trips.

GCLimited 04-25-2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCB9 (Post 1010881)

For those in the midwest after this brutal winter, the lower grill seems to be a snow and slush catcher compared to our CR-V front end. I know that is where the sensor is, not to mention the mess it can make in the garage. What has been your experience?

My old 2014 Limited 4x4 made it through our tough Massachusetts Winter this year without any snow issues. The stock Goodyears are OK in deep snow, not so good on ice though. The stock Jeep mud flaps did a good job protecting the front doors.

Quote:

Since we can't test drive at night (dealer closes at 8) how well do the fog lights light up toward the side? My SO is skeptical of them.
The stock halogen fog light bulbs kinda suck...upgrading them helped a bit for me.

Quote:

The VIN is in the 432000 range - about how long has it been on the lot? Should I be concerned if it has a couple hundred miles on it?
If the new Jeep has a couple hundred miles on it, you'll just know about all the CELs that much sooner...

:D

Kidding aside, I now have a late build 2014 Overland V6 4x4 (12/21/13...build date found on driver's door sticker), and it's been problem free so far, except for a couple "assembly" issues I corrected myself. I bought an early build 2014 Limited V6 4x4 at first in April 2013, and I got my first CEL when driving off the dealer's lot! Traded that lemon in for the Overland March of this year.

:eek:

SnoFire 04-25-2014 08:55 AM

I had no issues with the snow/cold here in Wisconsin with my 14 GC limited, got through everything I wanted with ease. We had it out on lake this winter during ice fishing season and the snow was deep. 1 thing I would do if I was you would be swap out the stock tires to something more season (I have the Michelin M/S2 tires). As for the fog lights, thats exactly what they are, Fog lights. Fog lights are suppose to be low to help with fog, not blind oncoming cars. I also wish they were a little brighter but they are ok.

MCB9 05-01-2014 07:59 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

I took delivery a few days ago and the one the dealer found only had 12 miles on the clock with a February date on the door. I can break it in my way. :)
Today is the first day I have free so I am going to spend it reading the manual (called to get a hard copy too) to get it set up the way I want.

As for the tires, yeah, I am not thrilled about the stock choice but now I am broke so they will have to do through this coming winter.

BlckWK2 05-01-2014 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCB9 (Post 1014873)
Thanks for the feedback.
Today is the first day I have free so I am going to spend it reading the manual (called to get a hard copy too) to get it set up the way I want.

No manual in the glove box? There is a hidden upper spot just for the hard copy.

zhenya 05-01-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoladoGuy (Post 1014888)
No manual in the glove box? There is a hidden upper spot just for the hard copy.

new Grand Cherokees dont come with printed manual, have to call Jeep to request it, or download a PDF

nonford 05-01-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zhenya (Post 1014978)
new Grand Cherokees dont come with printed manual, have to call Jeep to request it, or download a PDF

Well, I must be lucky, got both, hard manual and cd.

Jules.1 05-01-2014 02:39 PM

I got both also.

lstowell 05-01-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonford (Post 1015036)
Well, I must be lucky, got both, hard manual and cd.

User Guide or Owners Manual?
The User Guide is in the kit with the digital copy...

Jim_in_PA 05-01-2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCB9 (Post 1010881)
N

The VIN is in the 432000 range - about how long has it been on the lot?

No way to tell that from the VIN...they are not produced sequentially at the factory.

And congrats-in-advance on your new Overland!