Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   2010 Jeep GC Ltd - Horn is Really Weak (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/2010-jeep-gc-ltd-horn-is-really-weak-74351.html)

DustyOne 04-24-2014 11:12 AM

2010 Jeep GC Ltd - Horn is Really Weak

I know this doesn't sound too serious but my horn is going away. Tried to warn another motorist today (because he couldn't see my finger) cutting me off on the freeway. Is this a typical issue with 2010 of do I just have a random problem? After market suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,

Dusty

lstowell 04-24-2014 02:36 PM

Re: 2010 Jeep GC Ltd - Horn is Really Weak

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustyOne (Post 1011793)
I know this doesn't sound too serious but my horn is going away. Tried to warn another motorist today (because he couldn't see my finger) cutting me off on the freeway. Is this a typical issue with 2010 of do I just have a random problem? After market suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,

Dusty

From what you said, will assume that your horn used to be louder, but is now not as loud as it was.

Least likely is that the wiring to the horn is bad in that the power available at the output of the horn relay is impaired--but it could happen.

You could find a cheap horn at any local parts and jumper it across the battery and then connect it to the existing horn leads [a pita if memory serves] and compare to make sure it is the horn itself.

As for replacements, really depends on what floats your boat.

Google "J C Whitney horns" and pick from musical, comical, reasonably stock sounding, italian sports car, or ear damaging. The bigger air horns tend to work pretty good with a heavy duty electrical driven air compressor as that avoids needing to figure out a good place to tap a vacuum line to drive the vacuum compressor.

If you want to discuss loud air horns, do it in code words to avoid the inevitable netkopp responses on how you are destroying the earth....

dr.lee.baugh 04-24-2014 05:01 PM

I believe the WK horns are dual tone.

So, it is possible that one of the tones is not functioning, and one is, resulting in the horn sounding quieter.

I also think I remember one of the horns being in a place that could get water damage and/or sound much quieter if it gets wet. Traverse any rivers lately?

HemiDawg 04-30-2014 03:30 PM

I inquired about this previously: http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/horns...ain-34583.html

Seems to be related to water damage. Mine have gotten even worse since my thread.

Here is what I found out - the factory horn is actually two horns (dual tone as indicated previously) located behind the front bumper on the passenger's side. They are definitely positioned where they could take on water if going thru a deep puddle (or any other form of deep water).
They can be accessed without removing the front bumper, but you might need to remove the front headlight (I did) to improve accessability. I tried replacing mine with a compact air horn (WOLO) - normal operation was fine, but there is not enough current pushed thru the system when locking the doors or using the remote start to activate the air horn. This was one of my reasons for replacing the horn - from a distance it was hard to tell if the remote start had worked with the weak horns that are on there now (Jeep was out of sight to where I could not see the lights flash). I even tried using a relay but it still did not work. I haven't tried any aftermarket electric horns.
I had a new Ford Focus as a loaner a few weeks ago that would blow my Jeep horns away!! I can get a pair of those for around $40 - considering it!

Hope this helps.

ChrisWk 05-04-2014 09:07 PM

See if someone made a nest inside the horn.