Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Lowering... any negatives? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/lowering-any-negatives-7436.html)

06RC22 03-12-2010 02:24 AM

Lowering... any negatives?

Ok so after talking to my dad about lowering my truck, he wanted to know if you guys have had any longer term problems with suspension parts after lowering? I have the WK Bilsteins and am wanting the SRT stock springs. Do you think there will be any long run effects? Is there any added strain on the suspension after you drop it an inch or two? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but before my pop has his shop put springs on he wanted to know of your experiences.

Thanks

Motteler621 03-12-2010 02:25 AM

Re: Lowering... any negatives?

ur dad has a car shop?

06RC22 03-12-2010 02:33 AM

Yea, they work on audi and VW's. I'm the fir person in the family to own a jeep and he rarely, if ever has them in the shop so he was unsure really about the suspension on them. But yea all the parts I get usually come through him at cost from the dealership. Its pretty nice sometimes

yousmellfunnytoo 03-12-2010 08:43 AM

as far as long term, I dont really know, but i think its safe to assume that with your set up (the wk Bilsteins... or srt8 Bilsteins as your signiture says, and stock srt8 springs)... there isnt going to be much of a difference... You are pretty much setting it up like the srt and ive seen a few srt's with 100k+ miles on them with the stock suspension.

So i'm pretty sure you'll be okay

chefalan23 03-12-2010 01:39 PM

honestly, any time you change the suspension geometry by lowering the ride height, you will decrease the life of other components. make sure you get an alignment because you caster/camber is going to be off a bit. is it going to do any major damage? probably not. i dont know a lot about the srt suspension, but more than likely it has a lot more different parts from the stock wk than shocks and springs. my dad is a mechanic of 35 years and after many times of him telling me not to do certain things to my vehicles i'm starting to take his word for it now.

blackpepper 03-12-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefalan23 (Post 168270)
... my dad is a mechanic of 35 years and after many times of him telling me not to do certain things to my vehicles i'm starting to take his word for it now.

we would love to hear about a few of those things :thumbsup:

Scottina06 03-12-2010 04:09 PM

youll be fine bro

White WK Swagga 03-12-2010 04:40 PM

Only neg I can think of is people will think you're roll'n with a few fat chicks but your jeep will look even sexier....

05quadratrac 03-12-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White WK Swagga (Post 168353)
Only neg I can think of is people will think you're roll'n with a few fat chicks but your jeep will look even sexier....

haha that was the only time I almost took my brothers Hemi WK in a race, he ended up having to drive home like 4 girls totalling an easy 1000lbs. :D

08Hemi 03-12-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05quadratrac (Post 168380)
haha that was the only time I almost took my brothers Hemi WK in a race, he ended up having to drive home like 4 girls totalling an easy 1000lbs. :D

Oh FAWK! Thats some big biatches...

and with relation to the thread...I want to do this too Randall and i have the same set-up (WK Bilsteins)...I have upgraded the sway links and sway bars, so all thats left is the srt springs. keep us posted if you end up buying/installing them!

DJ BoNiOmArIo 03-12-2010 06:54 PM

Should be no problem at all ... since the SRT8 springs are stiffer and bilstein shocks sturdier ... ur ride would be a a little harder than before but that's pretty much it

boss_hemi 03-12-2010 11:28 PM

not to sound cheap but does anybody think it would be a bad idea to chop 2 inches off my stock springs to lower my srt clone?