Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   What bolt is this in my transmission housing?! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/what-bolt-is-this-in-my-transmission-housing-74415.html)

Unobtanium 04-26-2014 11:07 AM

What bolt is this in my transmission housing?!

There is a bolt on my transmission (545RFE, 5.7L Hemi, 2010 4x4) that is near the front, on the left side (driver) of the transmission, which seems to have RTV around it acting as a seal. What is this bolt?

It lives right above what looks to me like a catalytic converter or resonator or some such, about 3" forward where the transmission pan ends.

Unobtanium 04-27-2014 08:19 AM

Re: What bolt is this in my transmission housing?!

http://i58.tinypic.com/20kqetz.jpg

Strongjeff 04-27-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unobtanium (Post 1012948)

No idea what the bolt is for, but the thing your referring to is one of two cats on your mids. Maybe someone with a 545 can chime in...

Unobtanium 04-27-2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 1013212)
No idea what the bolt is for, but the thing your referring to is one of two cats on your mids. Maybe someone with a 545 can chime in...

Cat is fine. Bolt is leaking.

Strongjeff 04-27-2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unobtanium (Post 1013226)
Cat is fine. Bolt is leaking.

maybe a plug. id replace the rtv with a washer and an o ring. preferably a flat o ring

Frango100 04-27-2014 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Checked it with the pictures i have from my 5-45RFE rebuild from my WJ. On the WJ there is no bolt in that position, only a hole. I wonder what will be behind it, maybe its only a place where pressure can be measured for testing purposes. Maybe that someone with a transmission manual from your model year can tell more.

Unobtanium 04-27-2014 10:53 PM

Well...This visit to the dealer will likely illicit some profanity it seems. This will be interesting...

Strongjeff 04-28-2014 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unobtanium (Post 1013247)
Well...This visit to the dealer will likely illicit some profanity it seems. This will be interesting...

Whats up?

Unobtanium 04-28-2014 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 1013309)
Whats up?

Leaking transmission from a ghost bolt it seems...

Frango100 04-28-2014 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unobtanium (Post 1013313)
Leaking transmission from a ghost bolt it seems...

Eventhough i have the 5-45RFE on my WJ, there where some small changes done over the years. I imagine that your leaking bolt is one of those changes.

Unobtanium 04-28-2014 10:51 AM

Got my oil changed and their head transmission tech looked at it. Take-away points:

-Bolt is not an OEM part.
-Bellhousing should NOT have transmission fluid in it (obviously).
-Likely the front main seal is leaking.
-Transmission is going to be dropped this coming week and god knows what work will then need to be done.
-I wish I could remember all of the people who said "Grand Jeep Cherokee's are reliable" so I could smack them upside the head when/if I meet them.

I mean, I love my Jeep and all, yes I do, but I'm glad I make what I do for a living. This is NOT a college-student/barely making it/new family type vehicle. This is something you buy when money isn't the driving concern---because you WILL be paying for a new Jeep within a few years, one part at a time.

Simply insane cost of ownership.

johngreen1234 04-28-2014 12:03 PM

Is it possible that's a rebuilt trannie?