Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   ECO mode question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/eco-mode-question-74466.html)

Paullee01 04-27-2014 05:30 PM

ECO mode question

I notice when it's on it shifts all the way up to 8th gear. When it's off it doesn't get much past 5 or 6th. The dealership told me it's really only for hi-way driving. Just wondering if anyone has experimented long enough to determine if it actually gives you better gas mileage in city driving.

14SummitHemi 04-27-2014 05:57 PM

Re: ECO mode question

I can't stand the "lugging" feeling it gives me by being at least 2 gears too high. It does drop rpm's and the engine is running easier so it has to improve mpg in the city. How much? I'll never know 'cause I rarely use it in the city. The other reason I don't use it in the city is that you don't get the benefit of the engine/tranny braking you get in sport mode. In sport mode the engine downshifts firmly as you decel and it definitely reduces the braking effort required. I likey! :thumbsup:

ExcursionDiesel 04-27-2014 06:13 PM

Never turn mine off. No lugging, feels fine...I get good mileage and typically accelerate faster than the flow. :)

2014RedHemiGC 04-27-2014 09:20 PM

ECO mode "should" provide better mpg's since it programs quicker upshifts, all other things equal, however, I think it still depends the most on driving style (jackrabbit starts vs. steady acelleration, etc.)

mswlogo 04-27-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paullee01 (Post 1013118)
I notice when it's on it shifts all the way up to 8th gear. When it's off it doesn't get much past 5 or 6th. The dealership told me it's really only for hi-way driving. Just wondering if anyone has experimented long enough to determine if it actually gives you better gas mileage in city driving.

You do have the latest transmission updates? Right? Last one was released in December 2013.

I don't even think about it anymore. Before the update I thought about it a lot.

And mine always shifted into 8th with ECO On or Off. It just took longer to get there with it off.

And your dealership is full of crap.

Supertech30 04-28-2014 06:39 AM

The eco mode in my testing gives me no gas mileage advantage. I have run a few tanks with it on and with it off and see no difference. So I turn it off every time I get in the car, just takes all the fun out of driving with it on, makes the car seem very under powered.

bill_de 04-28-2014 07:12 AM

The problem I have with eco mode is lugging when having to maintain low (25mph) speeds. I think it is more related to MDS kicking in at too low a speed.

I automatically turn it off when I leave home. Sometimes I forget when I leave a store. The trip home is fine. But, the last half mile to my house is 25mph. Less than 1/4 way down that stretch the lugging starts and I turn it off again.

Fifth gear, running on 4 cylinders is just too much for the hemi to be happy. I wonder if the extra weight of the Overland makes a difference, and if Jeep is using the same programming across the entire line.

---

Paullee01 04-28-2014 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supertech30 (Post 1013357)
The eco mode in my testing gives me no gas mileage advantage. I have run a few tanks with it on and with it off and see no difference. So I turn it off every time I get in the car, just takes all the fun out of driving with it on, makes the car seem very under powered.

Thanks for sharing your results. I haven't seen a difference either in city driving.

hotspur 04-28-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExcursionDiesel (Post 1013132)
Never turn mine off. No lugging, feels fine...I get good mileage and typically accelerate faster than the flow. :)

Likewise, with the Pentastar.

Evolv0 04-28-2014 09:00 AM

I have also Tested it, and I drive both highway and city everyday. the car drives much better with no lugging with ECO OFF, and mine does go into 8th gear but not as often with ECO ON... now with eco off for a month, I saw a drastic reduction in my fuel economy.. so I leave mine on and I DO get better fuel economy.. even though I hate MDS with a passion.. ECO does save me gas.

ExcursionDiesel 04-28-2014 09:47 AM

I think the laws if physic apply. It takes a certain amount of energy to move the weight a distance in a specific time....acceleration and speed. The variable you can control is the rpm range you operate in. Motors are more efficient at low rpm. ECO mode attempts to do this. If you drive hard, you are defeating it's purpose and struggle against its goal of lowering rpm. Therefore it feels like it is lugging.

Everyone's expectation is different. One driver has lugging while another says its fine. Just depends on the driving style. More aggressive driving in ECO will let you feel ECO mode trying to keep rpm low.

That's my theory anyways. My ride is a little different so lugging isn't an issue although ECO off does shift at a higher rpm.

BlckWK2 04-28-2014 09:52 AM

This has been an interesting thread so far. I am researching a GC Altitude purchase and wasn't sure how different the mpg thing will be for me. I am coming from a 2010 Honda CR-V which nets about 25-26 mpg. I drive 80% highway so it sounds as if keeping the GC in ECO mode with a light foot and cruising at 70-75 will push the 25 mpg top end. Even if it's within 10% I would be happy. Now of course it sounds like having ECO mode off makes the GC a little more fun to drive.