Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Painting chrome door handles (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/painting-chrome-door-handles-74478.html)

tylerjohnburke 04-27-2014 09:32 PM

Painting chrome door handles
 
Hey Guys,

If there are already threads regarding this, then I apologize for being repetitive.

I'm curious if any of you guys have painted your chrome door handles to match the body color of your vehicle? I did see a forum thread talking about removing the mirror caps and painting them, however, I didn't see any discussion regarding painting the door handles...

I don't even know if this is feasible, and if it is, I wonder how well it would hold up??

I'm a newbie, so your thoughts and input are much appreciated.

2014 Brilliant Black Overland

DarkKn1ght 04-28-2014 05:28 AM

Re: Painting chrome door handles
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerjohnburke (Post 1013206)
Hey Guys,

If there are already threads regarding this, then I apologize for being repetitive.

I'm curious if any of you guys have painted your chrome door handles to match the body color of your vehicle? I did see a forum thread talking about removing the mirror caps and painting them, however, I didn't see any discussion regarding painting the door handles...

I don't even know if this is feasible, and if it is, I wonder how well it would hold up??

I'm a newbie, so your thoughts and input are much appreciated.

2014 Brilliant Black Overland


You can find someone with a Laredo looking to swap for chrome ones. I personally don't like all of the chrome either.

jgc4ever 04-28-2014 07:52 PM

Re: Painting chrome door handles
 
I think buying the handles pre-painted is the way to go.
Here's a link: 2014 WK2 Brilliant Black Door Handles (PXR) and with code jeepgarage5 you would save another 5% making it about $358 for 4 brilliant black handles.

tylerjohnburke 04-28-2014 10:23 PM

Re: Painting chrome door handles
 
Thanks guys. I will probably do what jgc4ever recommended and buy the door handles.

I got on auto trader today and found a brilliant black 2011 Laredo at a dealership a few miles from my house, so I called and ask if they would swap out mirror covers and door handles and to my surprise, they said yes. I went over today to check it out and i'm going to get the mirror caps swapped out for $20 bucks (labor cost), but I think I'll do without the door handles, as one of them seemed sort of loose, or possibly cracked. Anyhow, seemed like a good find, considering mirror caps appear to be pricy.

jgc4ever 04-28-2014 10:45 PM

Re: Painting chrome door handles
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerjohnburke (Post 1013790)
Thanks guys. I will probably do what jgc4ever recommended and buy the door handles.

I got on auto trader today and found a brilliant black 2011 Laredo at a dealership a few miles from my house, so I called and ask if they would swap out mirror covers and door handles and to my surprise, they said yes. I went over today to check it out and i'm going to get the mirror caps swapped out for $20 bucks (labor cost), but I think I'll do without the door handles, as one of them seemed sort of loose, or possibly cracked. Anyhow, seemed like a good find, considering mirror caps appear to be pricy.

That's how I got Brilliant Black Mirror caps. Talked to my sales guy at the dealer I bought from, he asked around and their used car manager had just bought a Brilliant Black Laredo that his wife drives and she/they were happy to swap for chrome. Set up a time, drove out there and had their tech swap them out for $20 and I gave him a tip. I would have paid a lot more to get rid of those chrome mirror caps.

tylerjohnburke 04-28-2014 10:58 PM

Re: Painting chrome door handles
 
Jgc4ever- I go back tomorrow to get the mirror caps put on; I have a 2014 Overland and the Laredo is a 12, but the mirror caps are interchangeable, correct?

jgc4ever 04-29-2014 04:22 PM

Re: Painting chrome door handles
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerjohnburke (Post 1013814)
Jgc4ever- I go back tomorrow to get the mirror caps put on; I have a 2014 Overland and the Laredo is a 12, but the mirror caps are interchangeable, correct?

Yes, according to what I read someone on the forum used 2012 Laredo mirror caps on their 2014 Overland.

tylerjohnburke 04-29-2014 04:48 PM

Re: Painting chrome door handles
 
Just got them put on, everything worked perfectly.

DarkKn1ght 04-29-2014 06:35 PM

Re: Painting chrome door handles
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerjohnburke (Post 1014151)
Just got them put on, everything worked perfectly.

Sweet!

tylerjohnburke 04-29-2014 08:54 PM

Re: Painting chrome door handles
 
I just received my gloss black spider monkey 20"x9" SRT replica wheels. I should have them installed by Friday. Once complete, I'll post some pics.

jgc4ever 04-29-2014 10:18 PM

Re: Painting chrome door handles
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerjohnburke (Post 1014266)
I just received my gloss black spider monkey 20"x9" SRT replica wheels. I should have them installed by Friday. Once complete, I'll post some pics.

Look forward to seeing the pics. Are you amazed by how much better the Grand Cherokee looks with the brilliant black mirrors (in place of chrome) as I was? Are you sticking with chrome handles or getting the brilliant black. The chrome handles are OK with me, but brilliant black would look good for sure.

tylerjohnburke 04-29-2014 11:10 PM

Re: Painting chrome door handles
 
Yes, I love the color matching mirrors.

I'm not sure yet about the door handles, I'll wait and see how it looks with my black wheels, then decide. If I can find someone willing to trade, I'd do that for sure, but I'm just not sure about dropping $360 on them...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community