Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

CV Seal Failure?

7K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  stician 
#1 ·
Thought I should bring this topic across from another forum for safety's sake.

Apparently there are a few reported failures with front shaft seals and or CV joint boots. First sign is a lot of grease inside the front wheels and around the shaft and front suspension. Build dates around Feb/March 2014 look like the most affected. Hopefully not too many, and ours looks fine, but please check and make sure as a failure could have major consequences.
I believe the Jeep number to call and report a problem is 877-426-5337
Stay safe out there!

#2 ·
Thanks for sharing...I ordered my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited on March 28, 2014, it hasn't even reached the line yet...Hopefully they are fixing this issue and that's the reason it's taking so long.

Jax
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Granite Crystal Metallic)
- 20 inch Wheels
- 8.4 inch NAV
- Power Sunroof
- Door Sill Guards w/ "JGC" Logo
- Mopar Splash Guards w/ Jeep Logo (Logo On Rear Only)
- Mopar Bright Pedal Kit

Ordered on March 28, 2014...Trying to wait patiently :)

#4 ·
Look inside the front wheel rim and around the suspension area where the wheel hub bolts on and where the front drive shaft goes in to the back of the wheel assembly. If there is a problem it should be easy to see - there will be grease thrown around all over the place.

#6 ·
Not sure at this stage - possibly the clamps.

#9 ·
When was tours manufactured.. What did the dealer say about it (what was the problem that caused the grease) can you post pics of what yours looks like?

Jax
- 20 inch Wheels
- 8.4 inch NAV
- Power Sunroof
- Mopar Bright Pedal Kit

#11 ·
I pick up mines in a week.. Is there anyway to identify a bad cv boot before I drive off the lot?

Jax
- 20 inch Wheels
- 8.4 inch NAV
- Power Sunroof
- Mopar Bright Pedal Kit

#12 ·
They said the inside of the wheel was covered in grease. They had it cleaned up before I saw it. They said there was no sign of it when they did the initial inspection since it had not gone fast enough to throw out any grease. I suppose you could take it out for a quick trip at a fast speed and then look inside the wheels to see if there is any grease. I don't know how long it takes to show up.

#13 ·
Cool thanks! We're they getting a lot of JGCs with bad cv boots? The fix was covered by the basic warranty right? Thanks again

Jax
- 20 inch Wheels
- 8.4 inch NAV
- Power Sunroof
- Mopar Bright Pedal Kit

#14 ·
They didn't say if they had seen others like this, but knew what needed to be done. They had to order the part(s) out of Chicago and it was here the next day. It is covered under warranty. Take a nice test drive and then have them check it out. I still love the vehicle....

#15 ·
Will do! Thanks a lot for the heads up.. I can't wait to get mine

Jax
- 20 inch Wheels
- 8.4 inch NAV
- Power Sunroof
- Mopar Bright Pedal Kit

#16 ·
UPDATE: I have been waiting over a week for parts. I keep getting told it will be tomorrow. The service people are really upset with the parts people.. They were told the expeditors were on it and then escalated to the special expeditors but still not part. I think there must be a shortage of these parts and maybe the CV boot failure is bigger than I thought. Check inside your wheels for grease... They are now trying to determine if it can be driven until the parts show up???

#17 ·
I ordered a JGC that was built on 4/14, but has been in inspection since then. I know that several JGCs built at the same time are being held due to an undisclosed quality control issue. I have a feeling this CV Boot might be part of it, and if that's the case, it means Jeep needs a bunch of axles to fix the ones they've built and are waiting to ship as well as the ones they shipped that were bad. PLUS they need to keep manufacturing new Jeeps.

I'm guessing this could take a while to get sorted out. Originally it seemed like either the seal was bad from the beginning or it was fine, now we're hearing several reports of boots that were fine at first, but failed soon after. It's quite likely there are THOUSANDS of Jeeps out thee with this problem (remember they build 1200 a day! And the problem has been ongoing from 3/14 or before until around 4/14, that's a lot of axles even if they're only 20% defective).

I would expect a short term shortage, hopefully they can get it cleared up soon.

#18 ·
Mine was built on 4/2, delivered it on 4/24 and has 600 miles on it. No problem when it arrived at the dealership and didn't find it until I took it in to have the alignment checked. So it failed fairly soon. First time I have bought American in years and not sure if it was a good idea...

#19 ·
This problem feels different to me than your standard reliability issue. Reliability to me means "holds up for the long haul". This is an assembly issue, I don't think there's a mechanical failure here, I think it's a human failure, though I'm not 100% certain what the underlying cause is. It's equal in the PITA department, but doesn't necessarily indicate a long-term issue with reliability.

BUT I'm in your boat too. I did own a Grand Caravan and leased a different Grand Caravan about 20 years ago. Had good luck with both except for a prematurely failed fuel pump in the one I bought. Since then I've been all Toyota/Subaru. Never had an issue with ANY of those, but I didn't really keep them long enough to test them thoroughly. Hard to resist the Jeep though, SO much nicer than any of the Japanese offerings in a similar size class.

Now if I could only get my hands on mine so I could start testing it's long-term reliability. So far only my patience is being tested.

#20 ·
After more than a week of hearing from Chicago that the new shaft would be in tomorrow, the dealer has taken one off a Jeep on the lot and is installing it now on mine. Me and the dealer are more than a little upset with how poorly this situation has been handled. And according to the service scheduler, this is not the only part this week that has not showed up when promised. I hope this isn't something that goes on all the time with Chrysler. I did see somewhere of someone waiting a a def injector for a week... I love this Jeep, but I miss the service I got with my Toyota...

#21 ·
Just dropped mine off after appx 600 miles.. grease everywhere. Same story ...needs 2 new front axles that are on national backorder. No idea when they will get them. Not happy...

#24 ·
The problem now seems to be getting parts ....mine has been out of service for five days and they still don't know when parts will be available .....this problem must be bigger than imagined.....:mad:

#25 ·
Dropped the JGC off at the dealer today for the CV boots. Apparently they haven't seen it before. My buddy's JGC was built on the same day and he found the same problem and is also dropping it off at the same dealer. Well, now they'll have seen two in one day. Got a hemi 300 as a loaner. Forgot how great that engine sounds!

Chrysler better figure out a way to make this right. Wife was complaining today that we should have gotten a Honda Pilot or Highlander like all of her friends.

#26 ·
My buddy has a Ridgeline and it's a nice cute ute but since it's an Odyssey with a car based awd system it can't do what our WK or WK2s can do. In fact they get such poor mileage he noted it has the power of a v6 but the thirst of v8. They get high teens highway if lucky and low teens city (the ED is getting me 22-24 mpg city right now and with the brief highway mpg I've gotten so far up to 27 mpg thus far). Have a STL trip planned next week with towing on the way back so will get my first towing mpg with an enclosed as well.

#28 ·
I'm annoyed already with my dealer. JGC diesel was delivered with bad alignment and it took them two visits to sort out. The orig service rep didn't even return my call. The service manager had to get involved. The level of ineptness was on par with Pep Boys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.