Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Where are you all putting your toll transponders (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/where-are-you-all-putting-your-toll-transponders-74517.html)

TypeRod 04-28-2014 07:09 PM

Where are you all putting your toll transponders
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I just purchased my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, this past Saturday. I had been stalking the Ecodiesel for a few months, but the dealer I went to had a fully loaded 5.7L Summit with Blu-ray entertainment and no Ecodiesels in the Summit trim with the Blu-ray. I love the car so far! I was extremely surprised on the super nice paint job by the manufacturer, the clearcoat is smooth as glass, the best I've ever seen on a brand new vehicle.

For those of you using electronic toll transponders, where are you all mounting them if you have your mounted on the windshield? My previous VW Passat, had a special area (dotted black) where this type of device should be placed. I see in the GC that there is the same type of area in center top of windshield right behind the rear. Is this where you all are mounting them?

Thanks in advance!

silvermax04 04-28-2014 07:27 PM

Re: Where are you all putting your toll transponders
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeRod (Post 1013670)
Hi all,

I just purchased my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, this past Saturday. I had been stalking the Ecodiesel for a few months, but the dealer I went to had a fully loaded 5.7L Summit with Blu-ray entertainment and no Ecodiesels in the Summit trim with the Blu-ray. I love the car so far! I was extremely surprised on the super nice paint job by the manufacturer, the clearcoat is smooth as glass, the best I've ever seen on a brand new vehicle.

For those of you using electronic toll transponders, where are you all mounting them if you have your mounted on the windshield? My previous VW Passat, had a special area (dotted black) where this type of device should be placed. I see in the GC that there is the same type of area in center top of windshield right behind the rear. Is this where you all are mounting them?

Thanks in advance!

Good choice in GC lol. I put the EZPASS just right of center in the black shaded area of the windshield. The shaded area doesn't have any impact on it functioning properly.

Jim_in_PA 04-28-2014 07:39 PM

Re: Where are you all putting your toll transponders
 
I stopped mounting my EZPass on the windshield a few years ago...the intense heat of the sun invariably causes anything I've tried to fail after a period of time. And they always fall off right before you get to a toll and invariably land where you cannot reach them without stopping on the side of the road so you can grope around on the floor somewhere. Now, I simply have it on the dash, almost centered and up where the glass meets the dash. I spray painted mine flat black and have a small Velcro strip on the back to keep it from sliding around. It's "disappeared" on the dash, as it were... I tested this method first by just putting a black sock over it to insure that the transponder "transponder" correctly from that position and once I confirmed that, I painted it and slapped it on. (the label is facing down and not visible...I did not paint over that information, obviously)

Vrrooom 04-28-2014 09:31 PM

Re: Where are you all putting your toll transponders
 
I mount mine on the top of the windshield in the black area. But I've also spray painted it with black plastidip so it can barely be seen. No problems with reception or it working.


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

Scottwk2 04-28-2014 10:21 PM

Re: Where are you all putting your toll transponders
 
2 Attachment(s)
I also put mine above the mirror on the black shaded area. I don't even notice it up there as it's out of the way. It's been up there for over a year now in direct sun over 115 degrees at times with no issues at all.

Andoskyy 04-29-2014 06:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I put mine on the passenger side. I cannot see it from the driver side at all.

Attachment 38891



Attachment 38892

Andoskyy 04-29-2014 06:19 AM

Sorry for the crooked pictures. They never upload correctly from my phone

TurboRush 04-29-2014 07:21 AM

Re: Where are you all putting your toll transponders
 
If an option for you, I use the license plate mounted ezPass as I already have a radar detector mounted and don't like having the windshield cluttered.

TypeRod 04-29-2014 09:27 AM

Re: Where are you all putting your toll transponders
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by silvermax04 (Post 1013691)
Good choice in GC lol. I put the EZPASS just right of center in the black shaded area of the windshield. The shaded area doesn't have any impact on it functioning properly.

Thanks for the compliment! I think our GC's might be twins, at least from the outside anyway, lol. Do you happen to have the "auto highbeam dim" feature? If so, do you happen to know where the camera for this feature is. I plan to mount mine exactly where you have, on the black dotted area, but I just want to be sure I don't block that camera for this feature, as the owner's manual says the camera is mounted on the rear view mirror somewhere. Thanks!

TypeRod 04-29-2014 09:28 AM

Re: Where are you all putting your toll transponders
 
Thank you to all of you for the suggestion and posting pics! It's much appreciated!

TypeRod 04-29-2014 09:30 AM

Re: Where are you all putting your toll transponders
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboRush (Post 1013939)
If an option for you, I use the license plate mounted ezPass as I already have a radar detector mounted and don't like having the windshield cluttered.

Im not sure if we have it in VA yet, but I would worry about theft of it, unless they come with some type of security fasteners to help prevent theft. Thanks for the suggestion though, as I do hate having windshield clutter. lol

howiestt 04-29-2014 12:12 PM

Re: Where are you all putting your toll transponders
 
Unless a specific car model has issues with a internal mount, (at least in NYC) they won't give you a license plate mounted one. ( easy to steal too i'm guessing)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community