Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Can Anyone Confirm What Parts Dept Told Me? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/can-anyone-confirm-what-parts-dept-told-me-74538.html)

Texplorer 04-29-2014 07:51 AM

Can Anyone Confirm What Parts Dept Told Me?

Was told by the dealer that I could not remove just the rear of the side view mirror on my 14 JGC Overland. I want to replace the chrome one with a painted, billet silver one. Was told I would have to buy the whole mirror for over $900 a piece because the rears don't come off by themselves.

Dabitz 04-29-2014 08:35 AM

Re: Can Anyone Confirm What Parts Dept Told Me?

As far as I know, the rear comes apart (I installed carbon fiber caps), however, it's not sold by itself only the entire assembly.

Scottina06 04-29-2014 10:39 AM

totally untrue. remove the cap....have it painted and snap it back on. There are directions here...its very easy

Texplorer 04-29-2014 03:18 PM

Scott, I was also told by a local body shop that paint wouldn't stick very well to the chrome plated plastic and would most likely start coming off shortly after. Especially in an area that gets hit a lot with bugs and rocks (front grill rings/mirrors). It has been a very disappointing day for me trying to get rid of the chrome on my jeep.

LTrainGC 04-29-2014 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texplorer (Post 1014120)
Scott, I was also told by a local body shop that paint wouldn't stick very well to the chrome plated plastic and would most likely start coming off shortly after. Especially in an area that gets hit a lot with bugs and rocks (front grill rings/mirrors). It has been a very disappointing day for me trying to get rid of the chrome on my jeep.

Prep is the most important part. As mentioned in this thread there is a DIY/How-To on prepping and painting the mirror caps on your own. You could always prep the caps yourself and then take them in to be painted. Would cut down on the cost and you would also know that they were prepped properly.

You could always check around your area for other body shops that might be up to the task.

Another option that some other members have done is call around to some local dealers and see if they have any new or used Laredo's in the color you are looking for that would be willing to swap your chrome caps with the painted ones.

robpp 04-29-2014 03:45 PM

Buy scratched PAINTED ONES and have them repainted.

Most body shops shun this kind of work as we all know.
There used to be painter in vendor area might be gone now.

For local traditional body shop i used to do my own prep and also tell them i take all the risk for peeling and such since i did the prep. Also bring them as many pieces i could afford.