Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   Sirius Signal Dropping Out (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/sirius-signal-dropping-out-74564.html)

kosmos60 04-30-2014 05:43 AM

Sirius Signal Dropping Out

Hi, Has anyone had issues with frequently losing the Sirius signal? I traded a 2011 Jeep Compass for the KL. The compass had Sirius that rarely lost the signal. I drive the same route to work 3 days/week and I knew exactly where it lost signal. The KL is losing signal much more frequently. It's fine in the clear sky buy get close to trees (lots of trees in Vermont) and the signal drops. I am headed back to the dealer this morning for more "tests" to see if the antenna and/or the radio may have issues.

kosmos60 04-30-2014 09:06 AM

Re: Sirius Signal Dropping Out

Just back from the dealer. This is what I was told: They have received this complaint for both the 8.4A and the 8.4AN. They verified that the radio and antenna are working normally. I took the service manager for a ride and the signal dropped exactly where I told him it would. He told me they are seeing this happen more with SXM systems than with Sirius alone. Apparently the merger of Sirius and XM now involves using different satellites for different radios and subscriptions. I am not getting a good feeling that anything more will or can be done. No offer was made to replace any equipment.

macfan 04-30-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kosmos60 (Post 1014431)
Just back from the dealer. This is what I was told: They have received this complaint for both the 8.4A and the 8.4AN. They verified that the radio and antenna are working normally. I took the service manager for a ride and the signal dropped exactly where I told him it would. He told me they are seeing this happen more with SXM systems than with Sirius alone. Apparently the merger of Sirius and XM now involves using different satellites for different radios and subscriptions. I am not getting a good feeling that anything more will or can be done. No offer was made to replace any equipment.

My SXM system has been working perfectly since last November and all of a sudden started acting up this week. I am wondering something...... I also have had Directv for over 12 years. Every year about this time we start having intermittent small problems with Directv due to solar flares interfering with the satellite signal. I am wondering if the SXM problem could be related to this?

woosch 04-30-2014 10:19 AM

We just got back from a road trip and had the same issues in our SRT JGC... Lots of drops for an hour or so, then clear for several hours and then lots of drops again... Even had drops in wide open areas with sunny clear skies...

macfan 04-30-2014 10:45 AM

and this kind of explains my solar flare theory if it is happening in sunny, wide open areas.

grandriver125 05-02-2014 08:41 AM

The signals that are dropping are XM signals not Sirius.

Our first satellite radios were XM in GM products. We had a portable unit for our motorhome that we also used at home. When we headed south to Florida in the MH the signal was fine (antenna just sitting on the dash). On the way north it was terrible and I had to put the antenna on the mirror, the hood, the finder and finally up top of the motorhome. The portable was also terrible at home and very hard to get a good signal in the room it was used in.

In 2010 we swathed from three bow ties to three blue ovals. XM portable replaced by a Sirius portable. Reception - far better right across the board. I think I know why. On looking into their satellite positioning I found that both Sirius and XM had two satellites over the equator. So, heading north with the XM was a problem since getting the signal was difficult with the large box on the Kodiak motorhome. With Sirius, I learned that it has a third satellite moving in a figure 8 pattern in the northern hemisphere. It is my feeling that the extra satellite makes all the difference. The portable now actually works in my son's bedroom with consistency.

A couple of weeks ago I learned that Jeep had switched its infotainment center to XM. Frankly, I was disappointed when I was informed of that fact during a call to Sirius XM Canada. Our T&C account is with Sirius and the Jeep account is with XM and they are still operating TWO completely separate systems in Canada.

I guess I misled myself into thinking they would locally adopt one system and it would be what to me was the superior Sirius system with the extra satellite.

Anyone able to confirm these assumptions and conclusions?

kosmos60 05-03-2014 05:46 AM

Your assumptions seem to be correct based on follow-up I received from my dealer. The Sirius system provides better coverage due to the placement of their satellite(s). I still have a older Sirius system I use on my Harley Softail and rarely have signal issues. Since I have no plans on moving closer to the equator I guess I will have to live with the SXM system problems until SXM decides to address these issues.

Megahiker2000 05-04-2014 08:49 AM

It might've worth noting that is the answer the used to give the 2014 Wk2 owners... Now there is a TSB to replace the antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Desert Hiker 05-04-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megahiker2000 (Post 1016440)
It might've worth noting that is the answer the used to give the 2014 Wk2 owners... Now there is a TSB to replace the antenna.

I didn't have a dropout problem, but I did have a problem with the looks of the ugly stick antenna on the C-TH. Replaced it with a Visual Garage Sharkfin antenna from Amazon. For less than $100 fixed ugly problem and still no dropouts. Perhaps OP can fix two problems with one SharkFin.

Desert Hiker

kosmos60 05-04-2014 12:01 PM

There is a TSB covering this problem but for the KL it apparently only covers vehicles built up to 10/2013. Mine was a 12/2013 build. It seems to me that if a vehicle built in december is having the same problems as one built in october the problem still exists. Megahiker2000...did having the TSB get jeep to replace the antenna or did you have to go into battle mode? More importantly, did a new antenna fix the problem?

Thanks

Megahiker2000 05-04-2014 01:06 PM

I have not had it done yet. I only loose signal in places where you would expect too... In the city between tall buildings, tunnels, and the occasional other spot. It's nearly identical to the level of service we had in our 09 Patriot. Also I have a WK2 not a KL (yet):). I know some of the WK2 users had problems and they reported that the antenna TSB being done helped a lot. If you search just for satellite reception you should find the problems they had.

kosmos60 05-04-2014 02:40 PM

I guess my main issue is I had a 2011 jeep compass with a sirius (not SXM) system and had very few drops. Now that I have the KL with the SXM system and on the exact same drive to work the SXM drops the signal much more frequently. I think if the dealer would replace the antenna that would help to RI/RO if the drops are due to a faulty antenna or a bigger problem with the SXM satallites. To be continued...