Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Liberty-KJ and KK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f189/)
-   -   2003 Liberty Knock/Tapping (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f189/2003-liberty-knock-tapping-74584.html)

tpmx 04-30-2014 07:58 PM

2003 Liberty Knock/Tapping

Hello to everyone.
I am new here and found this site while searching for days about a problem with our 03 Liberty with the 3.7
I have learned alot about this engine and some of its common problems
Our Liberty developed a knock/rapping noise all at once it seemed.
I started searching and found lifter problems so I took the valve cover off the drivers side and checked everything but found no problems
The more I listened to it I started thinking the problem was elsewheres so I didnt pull the passenger side valve cover.
The engine runs smooth so I was pretty sure a rocker arm hadnt came off and I found while pulling it up ramps that the engine was perfectly quite while in gear with a load on it.
I was already thinking torgue convertor bolts so I pulled the cover off and checked the flex plate to torgue convertor bolts and all where tight.
From what I can see the flex plate isnt cracked at least from what is visible
I am not ruling out the flex plate yet though
I wanted to get opinions from others as to what you guys think.
I am sure others have been down this path.
The jeep has 138,000 miles on it
Any input would really be appreciated before I pull the tranny just to find out its not the flex plate .
I am thinking about unbolting the flex plate from the torgue convertor and trying to run the motor with these separated to see if theres any change
Thanks for any input you guys can offer

Frango100 05-02-2014 10:37 AM

Re: 2003 Liberty Knock/Tapping

Welcome to the garage.
When you had the valve cover off, did you check for spongy feeling hydraulic valve lash adjusters? I would first get a mechanics stethoscope and try to pinpoint the source of the noise. At least you should be able to hear if its coming from the head area, the lower end or even from the flexplate (eventhough i wonder if the last would cause the mentioned noise)

tpmx 05-03-2014 06:28 AM

Re: 2003 Liberty Knock/Tapping

Thanks for your response
I pulled the cover and checked all the rocker arms and looked for anything obvious
Everything was in place and I couldnt feel and excess play in any rocker/lifter
I did not try pressing any lifter to see how they felt
I have since checked the flex plate and believe the problem is not there.
I have used a stethoscope and still can not pinpoint the area
As loud as the noise is you would think it would be easy to pinpoint
When standing in front of the jeep it sounds like timing chain issues
When under the jeep it sounds like rear of engine
I have pulled each plug wire connector one at a time and the engine tapping never changes
I will pull rocker covers and go thru both sides real good and maybe next will get into timing chain adjusters.
Whats strange is this motor was perfect and started this all at once
Its a shame,the body and undercarriage is perfect,not rust or dings and the motor goes

liberty2003 05-16-2014 10:59 PM

I have a 2003 liberty limited it has the same tapping/ticking sound. Idk what to do about it. It also overheated today while on idle. The fan isn't engaging. So maybe replace the fan clutch?