Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Leather Steering wheel wear (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/leather-steering-wheel-wear-746.html)

NHWK05 06-19-2009 07:11 PM

Leather Steering wheel wear

My jeep has 65k on it. it has the leather wrapped steering wheel. The top of the steering wheel is all smooth and the very top center is starting to wear through. Also the seams at the end of the top is very worn.

The issue is, 1 it looks like ass, 2 when i drive i grip the top and my hand sticks to the wheel and its annoying.

I had a tj with the vinyl wheel and it never did that. it was almost more comfortable. But they want tons of cash for a replacement vinyl or leather wrapped wheel.

On my old Xj this happened and i got this "custom" replacement leather wrap that you stitch on. That was great for about 2 months until the color wore off.

So for now i have this gay neoprene stretch on cover. I looks crappy but it feels better on the hands.

Not to mention that i always have dirty hands from work so the leather gets grimey and i have to clean it.

I know, bitch bitch bitch wa wa wa.

Does anyone else have any other ideas besides anything i listed above.

Matt 06-19-2009 07:13 PM

Re: Leather Steering wheel wear

Have you treated it with leather conditioner? That can sometimes bring it back to new!

Marlin 06-19-2009 07:13 PM

Mine;s starting to go as well, where I "palm" the wheel when parking etc. Shit quality leather.

Has anyone had any luck with the dealer replacing the wheel under warranty due to this wear?

spiker01 06-19-2009 07:19 PM

look at an auto recycler for a new one from a commander or gc. keep a bottle of hand cleaner and a rag in your jeep for future. we have to keep the khakis in prestine condition cause we are out numbered

NHWK05 06-19-2009 07:20 PM

I use Lexol Leather conditioner and cleaner on the seats and steering wheel every two weeks. it does not make a difference. The leather on the wheel is just worn out and worn down. its totalyl smooth now no texture.

robpp 06-19-2009 08:02 PM

i have a place, somone srt8 sight gave me, 250, adds padding and redoes it with much better leather.

let me know if you need the name or number. IIRC texas somewhere.....

NHWK05 06-19-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 17525)
i have a place, somone srt8 sight gave me, 250, adds padding and redoes it with much better leather.

let me know if you need the name or number. IIRC texas somewhere.....

Pm Me. If i can't find a new one in Vinyl, i will consider doing that. Jeepsareus.com usually has all that stuff (oe replacement and stock parts) but i have to call for WK parts pricing. I am gonna call when i get some cash for a price on a khaki vinyl steering wheel, will be much easier to maintain and if its like the Tj steering wheel i had its plenty comfy/nice for me.

dreamer1213 06-19-2009 08:47 PM

Thats what happens when you ride with your hand at the top of the wheel...my old ZJ did the same thing...and I hated it..but just kinda overlooked it..lol...

My dad's old Ram had a leather steering wheel and that thing wore so fast it wasn't even funny...the new one has a vinyl steering wheel...and I'm sooo happy because it will never wear! You will probably have to look for a basest of base Laredo steering wheel...

Robert Palmer 06-19-2009 09:22 PM

My steering wheel is looking like shit. I got the cool wood steering wheel with busted ass leather. If I was keeping the Jeep, I would get the leather part of the wheel re-wrapped in dark gray or black suede.

Megatron 06-19-2009 09:44 PM

edit for being an idiot.

Marlin 06-19-2009 09:48 PM

ewwwwwww lol

dreamer1213 06-19-2009 10:18 PM

Thats just the thing Paul...he doesn't want a steering wheel cover...lol!