Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   EcoDiesel DEF tank (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/ecodiesel-def-tank-74620.html)

Jason911 05-01-2014 03:16 PM

EcoDiesel DEF tank

Does anybody know if the eco-diesel currently procured in the United States and Canada has a heater inside the DEF tank? I ordered my 2014 today, but I am a little concerned as I routinely park outside in the subzero temperatures of the upper Midwest. I will plug it in every evening the temperature drops below 20F, but what about those times when it's below zero for a continued basis?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Hammerhead 05-01-2014 03:56 PM

Re: EcoDiesel DEF tank

The diesel supplement to the owner's manual indicates it has Electronically-heated DEF lines and the following note:

"DEF is subject to freezing at the lowest temperatures.For example, DEF may freeze at temperatures at or below 12 F (-11 C). The system has been designed to operate in
this environment."

Jason911 05-01-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerhead (Post 1015130)
The diesel supplement to the owner's manual indicates it has Electronically-heated DEF lines and the following note:

"DEF is subject to freezing at the lowest temperatures.For example, DEF may freeze at temperatures at or below 12 F (-11 C). The system has been designed to operate in
this environment."

Thank you for the reply! - not having the supplement to read is the hinderance. I will dload it off jeep website.

GunninIt 05-02-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason911 (Post 1015238)
Thank you for the reply! - not having the supplement to read is the hinderance. I will dload it off jeep website.

First, go here: Jeep Owners | Download an Owners Manual 2004 - 2011 | Jeep

Enter in 2014. Then Grand Cherokee. And you'll see the diesel supplement there.

For what it's worth (already knowing it existed before my car was delivered), when I asked my dealer about the diesel supplement he claimed "oh, that's only for the trucks. They don't do that with the Grand." LOL

Dealers. :wtf:

grayghost 05-04-2014 09:55 PM

Had no problems this past winter. Plenty of cold and windy nights. My jeep is always parked outside, especially when at camp in the winter. I only plugged it in during extreme cold, below -10f. Started up with no problems-not like diesels of old.
Here is the link to the supplement: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/manuals/2014...diesel_2nd.pdf

Jason911 05-05-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grayghost (Post 1016739)
Had no problems this past winter. Plenty of cold and windy nights. My jeep is always parked outside, especially when at camp in the winter. I only plugged it in during extreme cold, below -10f. Started up with no problems-not like diesels of old.
Here is the link to the supplement: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/manuals/2014...diesel_2nd.pdf

Thank you for adding credibility to the thread. I keep my current CRD plugged in at night, and will do so for the new WK2. Am still a little concerned about extreme cold of -20+ without windchill. More than a few nights last winter exceeded that.

Shannon 05-06-2014 12:36 PM

Yes, the DEF lines are heated. Don't worry about the cold temps. I live in Minnesota, and had no problem starting at -23 F. - Well, almost no problem - it started fine, but the remote start does not work when it is that cold - if it doesn't start on the first turn of the engine, the remote start disables until it is manually started. I was a little concerned when the remote start did not work at -23, but it turned right over manually, and I did not have any DEF problems.

Jason911 05-06-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon (Post 1017658)
Yes, the DEF lines are heated. Don't worry about the cold temps. I live in Minnesota, and had no problem starting at -23 F. - Well, almost no problem - it started fine, but the remote start does not work when it is that cold - if it doesn't start on the first turn of the engine, the remote start disables until it is manually started. I was a little concerned when the remote start did not work at -23, but it turned right over manually, and I did not have any DEF problems.

Thank you for reducing my concerns. I live in Wisconsin and split my time between far southern, and the Ashland area. It's great to hear from somebody else that knows extreme cold in the mid-Midwest.