Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Calling all WK 4.7L owners (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/calling-all-wk-4-7l-owners-7463.html)

maxst2 03-12-2010 08:51 PM

Calling all WK 4.7L owners

I am looking to do the exhaust on my 2006 WK 4.7L, but I want to hear what there is out there.

If you can help me out by getting idle with rev and even accel in-cabin clips it would help me out massively to find what I am looking for.

robpp 03-12-2010 09:35 PM

Re: Calling all WK 4.7L owners

here is mine cai and magnaflow catback was it when i made this vid

if i were to do it all over again, i would get something with a resonator. there is some drone at 70-80 cruising. otherwise i like the sound

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n.../th_jeep_1.jpg

mjl2610 03-12-2010 09:35 PM

Ill see what i can do about helping ya out... ill see what time i have this weekend.

Scottina06 03-12-2010 09:44 PM

any ideas on what company you like...or just gonna wait to see what you hear?

lineman 03-12-2010 10:20 PM

i have an 05' 4.7 wk & currently have the 5x11x22 magnaflow.i love it, it is just right,i have 3 small boys & it does not bother them. i had a 5x8x18 magnaflow.its way to loud and it roared in the cab all the time.it sounded like a mustang.needed ear plugs.i would get a universal muffler 2.5" inlet, 2.5" outlet add a short peice of pipe and good to go.the stock pipe is 2.5".google 21st century muffler.i payed $65 for muffler and $30 to get put on.this is the same setup as the magnaflow catback system but a heck of alot cheaper

maxst2 03-12-2010 10:43 PM

I want to hear them... I have been to magnaflow, borla, gibson, etc and they don't have a 4.7L V8... gibson i think had one in a dakota though... but i want to hear it from the horses mouth lol.

Im kinda picky when it comes to the sound. If it has the sound i want.. well then ill get what i want. :P I am definitely going stainless though. Least that'll help it last more than 3 years here in the midwest.

Scottina06 03-12-2010 11:11 PM

did ya try youtube.com?

maxst2 03-13-2010 12:41 AM

yeah but its far and few between to get the info i want.

robpp... that sounded pretty good. that was a magnaflow cat back system or did you get a muffler and have a shop fab the system out for you?

robpp 03-13-2010 06:28 AM

catback.

maxst2 03-13-2010 02:06 PM

Stainless steel? Welded in or Bolt on? If I may ask how much that ran you as well...

Devilsmed98 03-13-2010 03:44 PM

Here's my post from another forum:

Quote:

Okay just got a Magnaflow muffler. Part number is 12589. It's a 5x11 Oval that is 22" in length with 3" in/out. Purchased it off Planetmagnaflow.com for $89 with shipping and taxes. I brought it to a friends auto shop and it was 100$ to cut off the old one, and weld on this one with some extra piping. I thought this was a bit much but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I was a little disappointed tho when I looked at it and all they did was take the 3" piping and weld it over and filled in the spaces between the existing pipe. I suggested before that he use a converter piece but he said he'd take care of it. Of course I didn't say anything like I should have.

Besides that the muffler sounds great, can't really notice any difference between stock at startup and idle, but when you bring it above 2500 rpms it growls nice. Nothing crazy tho.

I'll take a video of it in a couple of days and put it on here but right now the muffler is stinking like really really bleeping nasty. I hope it just has to break in or something. Anyways, just wanted to post his as a reference for people interested in one since it took a lot of researching to find information for me.
I'd make a sound clip of it idling and revving but we are getting 5" of rain and 50mph gusts for the next 2 days. Maybe when it clears up since the muffler has gotten louder since driving it around.

Here's the only video that I have of it so far: YouTube - Jeep WK Magnaflow Muffler

Just watched the video again and the microphone clearly does not do it's justice.

Also: The reason I went with this muffler is because it cost me $180 total for this to be installed, versus buying a $400+ magnaflow catback system. The only difference in the two are that the catback is 2.5 piping and my muffler is 3" and the catback comes with a tip.

@robp: Loving the sound of your engine with that CAI that's K&N painted?

maxst2 03-15-2010 07:56 PM

Anyone else?

Also... whats the opinion of running 3" piping rather than 2.5"