Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Auto Mirror unfolding above 10mph not working? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/auto-mirror-unfolding-above-10mph-not-working-74645.html)

bmorgan4 05-02-2014 09:00 AM

Auto Mirror unfolding above 10mph not working?

Was wondering if anyone has tried to see if their mirrors automatically unfold above 10mph as the manual states they should? Mine definitely do not, not a big deal I can manually unfold them but my previous vehicle did this and it is a nice feature nonetheless. Was going to ask the dealership to look into it when I took it in for the transmission TSB update soon. I have a 2014 overland 3.6L. I am sure dealership is going to spit in my car when I ask for this pesky fix but when you pay good money for a vehicle you expect things to work, and I think we all get enjoyment out of testing each little feature:)

Thanks for any comments or trials.

TurboRush 05-02-2014 09:15 AM

Re: Auto Mirror unfolding above 10mph not working?

I tested this once, didn't work for me either.

I don't remember how I tested it, but I wonder if its something like the auto door locks - they are supposed to lock at 15mph, but its not a given - with a super light throttle or coasting past 15mph they don't lock, but if you give it some gas they lock instantly above 15mph.

Admittedly this is a non-issue for me because I don't fold the mirrors very often and when I do I usually need them right away to see where I am backing up or if I can pull out onto the street (parallel parked).

not_too_shabby 05-02-2014 01:25 PM

My wife's mercedes automatically unfolds the mirrors when you open the drivers door. I wish the jeep did that. I have been on the freeway with them folded. They don't unfold automatically.

TurboRush 05-02-2014 02:13 PM

Sounds like the owners manual is out of date - wonder if the newer versions still say this.

lstowell 05-02-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmorgan4 (Post 1015518)
Was wondering if anyone has tried to see if their mirrors automatically unfold above 10mph as the manual states they should? Mine definitely do not, not a big deal I can manually unfold them but my previous vehicle did this and it is a nice feature nonetheless. Was going to ask the dealership to look into it when I took it in for the transmission TSB update soon. I have a 2014 overland 3.6L. I am sure dealership is going to spit in my car when I ask for this pesky fix but when you pay good money for a vehicle you expect things to work, and I think we all get enjoyment out of testing each little feature:)

Thanks for any comments or trials.

Where do you see this in which manual, and revision?
I just checked the V7 Owners Manual [not guide] and see no mention of the folding mirrors automagically unfolding themselves...

TurboRush 05-02-2014 02:49 PM

hmmm.. I have version 3 and it makes no mention. I wonder if I tried it to see what would happen as opposed to actually reading it.

Please disregard all my previous posts... :lol:

SNUKE 05-02-2014 05:09 PM

Works for me, always has, no issue.
Reading the 7th Editin of the owners manual, it suggest if you fold them AFTER you have cycled the car off, you have to manually select them to open again.

"If the mirror is manually folded after electrically cycled, a potential extra button push is required to get the mirrors back to the home position. "

My Australian version of the owners manual doesn't say this, it makes no mention of auto unfold, only says to push it again to unfold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by not_too_shabby (Post 1015652)
My wife's mercedes automatically unfolds the mirrors when you open the drivers door. I wish the jeep did that. I have been on the freeway with them folded. They don't unfold automatically.

This auto unfolding before driving the car would not be suitable for many people that have a tight fit to enter / egress their parking places.

A few have complained about the auto unfolding as they want their mirrors in while driving off road through certain sections.

not_too_shabby 05-03-2014 06:58 AM

For the Mercedes it is a setting you can turn on or off in their equivalent if the evic.

SNUKE 05-03-2014 09:44 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1TeH...m-upload_owner

Briant73 05-04-2014 10:56 AM

I tried testing the mirrors being folded in when stopped and then driving - they never unfolded on my 2014 overland.

jacko15 05-04-2014 01:16 PM

Mine acts exactly the way the manual states, use the button to fold and unfold. No mention of automatic feature, and mines doesn't behave as if there is one.

bmorgan4 05-05-2014 08:46 AM

Thanks for the responses all. I am going to try folding them before I turn off the car to see if they unfold automatically above 10mph that way. I am reading this in the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Manual "2nd", so maybe an old edition. Makes sense to me that being off road you may want them to stay in, plus when pulling out of garage etc. Would be a nice add to have the option to turn this feature on and off but I am guessing it would end in more broken mirrors so this makes sense to me. Will let you know if mine auto unfold.