Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/)
-   -   WK2 in the desert (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/wk2-in-the-desert-74755.html)

Coen 05-05-2014 01:21 PM

WK2 in the desert

Hi guys!

Brief question - when you drive the car in the desert and you set the car in 'sand' mode, the traction control isn't fully off by my understanding. Can you switch it off?

I searched the forum, and found people pulling out fuses (and disengaging the fuel pump), so I'd appreciate your advise!!

Looking forward to your experiences,

Coen

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van JeepGarage

WK2ghazal 05-07-2014 02:39 PM

You can switch it ON and OFF from its button below AC control in the middle of the dashboard.

Coen 05-09-2014 03:08 PM

Re: WK2 in the desert

But that only results in partially off...

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

lstowell 05-09-2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coen (Post 1019585)
But that only results in partially off...

It turns it off enough to make some pretty impressive rooster tails in loose dirt, sand.
However, I'm not brave enough to try it in really really deep dry sand, as I'm too old to walk out carrying the missus...

Coen 05-09-2014 10:14 PM

Hi Istowell,

From my experience, the car automatically throttle down and apply brakes on one or more wheels, even when in sand mode. For me, when going a long stretch slightly uphill, this resulted eventually on dune crawling instead of dune bashing, and ended up in a complete stop...

xJoshxx 05-14-2014 05:09 AM

On the 2011 abd 2012 I had if you put it park then press and hold the tc light eventually it comes up saying traction control disabled.

Coen 05-15-2014 01:07 AM

Does it matter in which mode the selecterrain switch is? I tried it yesterday but it didn't work on my '12 overland....

WK2ghazal 05-15-2014 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coen (Post 1022557)
Does it matter in which mode the selecterrain switch is? I tried it yesterday but it didn't work on my '12 overland.... Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Yes it's. Try it while the terrain in auto mode.

Coen 05-16-2014 09:52 AM

I tried it just now; the light comes on as soon as I press the button (partially disabled. I kept pressing it for another 10 seconds or so, and the light went off. Does this mean that it's on or off??
I repressed the button, and couldn't get it to return to partially off, except after changing selecterrain.

WK2ghazal 05-16-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coen (Post 1023329)
I tried it just now; the light comes on as soon as I press the button (partially disabled. I kept pressing it for another 10 seconds or so, and the light went off. Does this mean that it's on or off?? I repressed the button, and couldn't get it to return to partially off, except after changing selecterrain. Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Once the light off that mean the system is on.
It's off in default at sand selecterrain.

Coen 05-16-2014 12:08 PM

According to the manual it's only partially off in sand mode. I noticed that at fairly high speed in the dunes, that the traction control was braking the wheels and I ended up slowing down in 2nd gear (high) on a near to flat slope....