Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/)
-   -   What are these relays for? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/what-are-these-relays-for-75010.html)

tink5775 05-12-2014 08:48 AM

What are these relays for?

2 Attachment(s)
While planning install of Susquehanna H13 -> H4 wiring harness and scoping out possibilities of mounting air comp under hood on my 14 JKUR I found these relays. Anyone know what they are for?

tink5775 05-20-2014 08:37 AM

Re: What are these relays for?

No one?? Got the Tech Auth disc and can find no diagram/pic of either of these.....

Pat@FieldsAuto 05-20-2014 02:36 PM

ABS and Vacuum Pump Relays

tink5775 05-21-2014 07:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Pat!!!!!

Elsewhere it's been demonstrated that the ones on the pass side are for the lockers. (See - Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Locker Modifications, Hacks, Cheats | jeepfan.com )

So I assume you are referring to the ones on the drivers side. I know the pic below and on the link is based on one from the Tech Auth service disc and that the disc has a pic of the ones on the dr side but I can not find them in context through the GUI. Still searching.....

Commo 05-22-2014 09:47 AM

Tink, I'm about to install the same harness and on my '14 JKU Sahara without lockers that passenger-side space is where I plan to put the pair of harness relays (+a third relay when I install driving lights.)
Query -- does the stock bracket/holder look like a separate piece that I could use, rather than fabbing up something? Plan was to use a piece of aluminum bar stock, painted, to form something to bolt SMS relays to...
Thanks,
Commo

tink5775 05-22-2014 10:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Commo,

The bracket appears identical to the one on the drivers side. Attaches to the body with one plastic piece similar to the ones that hold the grill on. The metal bracket has 2 pieces that the relay slides up on to hold them together. I didn't pull the whole thing off so I can't see if/how the relay comes off the bracket. I, at least temporarily have the H4 relays tucked in behind the existing harness on the engine side of the battery box. There are a couple holes there which I may put a bolt through or just ty-wrap to eventually.

HTH

Tink

Commo 05-22-2014 09:26 PM

Ahh, very enlightening. Thanks.

I think I might go ahead and fab my simple aluminum bar and get another of those slotted Hella relay mounts for the third relay I'll need for driving lights. I wondered why that space was empty and now I know it's used in the Rubicons...gotta love these forums...

Commo

tink5775 05-23-2014 07:37 AM

I meant to mention this last post...

I have plans for additional lights, an air pump & winch. I plan to power/control all these with an sPod. Yeah pricey but does all the wiring for you in a nice neat package. Install once and you're good for 6 elec mods...

Commo 05-23-2014 08:30 AM

About one or two more electrical mods will get me closer to an sPod, too...SMS added a 'filtered' power source off the high beam relay to trigger driving lights without getting involved with the Canbus, so I'll use that for driving lights...but I WANT an sPod...;)

Commo