Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Why did you factory order your JGC? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/why-did-you-factory-order-your-jgc-75013.html)

khooker24 05-12-2014 09:50 AM

Why did you factory order your JGC?

Hi Everyone,

Today makes it 8 weeks since I ordered my Jeep and, although it's making progress, it still isn't parked in my garage. Here's my current state of affairs:

Plant Release (KZ) 05/09/2014 11:34 AM EDT Detroit Jefferson Assembly, MI
Adv Ship Notice to Dest Ramp 05/09/2014 11:34 AM EDT Avi - Vls West Road Yard, MI
Paper Receipt 05/09/2014 12:43 PM EDT Avi - Vls West Road Yard, MI

In the last 8 weeks I've asked myself many times why I didn't just find one on a lot somewhere instead of ordering. Here are my answers to that:
1. I wanted a late build date.
2. I live in a state that doesn't require a front license plate and every time we found the interior/exterior combo I wanted the dealer already had a plate on the front.
3. I finally found what I wanted without the front plate a few hours away, but it had the CD player. I have no use for a CD player, I don't like that it's in the center console, and I didn't want to pay even a little extra for a feature I didn't want.

So, those are my three flimsy reasons for placing a factory order.

Anyone else willing to share the reasons you ordered instead of taking one off the lot? Come on, give me something to read to help pass the time while waiting on my Jeep. :)

Thanks

KONE-DAWG 05-12-2014 10:28 AM

Re: Why did you factory order your JGC?

I have been waiting for the TH2, but think that will not appear until Jeep puts a diesel in the Laredo. After seeing what Jeep did with the Altitude package waiting for the TH2 is less enticing. So I will build my own TH2.

Ordering a Overland Granite, Indigo Blue, Diesel, ORAII, Engine Block Heater, without the Advance Tech package (ADG). This combo is not on dealer lots and you can get the diesel without ADG.
Don't need an expensive sensor right in front. Also, not sure how I will address the front air-dam problem and do not want to limit my options by having the front sensor to consider. No DVD as well, waste of valuable space.

Plan for Mopar Rock Rails, off road tires, Garvin Roof rack, Hi-lift jack, winch, on board air, mud floor liners ...

Jim_in_PA 05-12-2014 11:14 AM

While I didn't not order my present JGC, I believe I would seriously consider it in the future...to insure that it's exactly how I want it; to avoid dealer trades that result in holes in my front bumper (!) and to take advantage of much better pricing that could come from a group-buy somewhere. I have little loyalty to the local dealer and they certainly don't favor outstanding pricing, either...

bill_de 05-12-2014 11:53 AM

I ordered mine because they weren't building them yet, making it difficult to buy off the lot. :)

I have no preference. I have ordered and bought off the lot with equal success. I have always been lucky ordering GM and Ford products. I never waited more than 5 or 6 weeks.

---

fun2drive 05-12-2014 12:00 PM

Ordered mine because I wanted the diesel engine 8 spd ZF transmission.
My SFU took over 2 months to arrive over the holidays...

Rumline 05-12-2014 12:23 PM

I ordered mine because I was tired of compromising for the config that the dealers happen to have in stock. I wanted a diesel Limited or Overland with ORA2 and tech group in Granite/Lt Frost beige. Looked locally for six weeks, nada. One dealer finally found one in Vegas but it also had that atrocious center-console-wasting cd player. Seriously, could they have found a larger CD player to put in there?? It looks like it's from the 90s. Anyway since it was a dealer trade I couldn't get a great price on it.

Finally decided to take the plunge and fly all the way to Texas to buy a car. Everybody I tell this to thinks I'm nuts, but I'm so excited that I got exactly what I want for a great price, even after factoring in flight/hotel/shipping the car back to CA.

Jason911 05-12-2014 12:39 PM

Ordered mine two weeks ago. Didn't want to get the luxury II, or more specifically did not want to get the panoramic sunroof, or any sunroof for that matter. Limited, EcoDiesel, body colored mirrors, trailer tow, fold flat front passenger seat, ORA I, Nav.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

f1anatic 05-12-2014 01:21 PM

I ordered because I wanted all that an Overland can offer without the price. I have a Limited with ORA-22, Luxury and Advanced Tech.

whartung 05-12-2014 01:29 PM

Yea, sunroofs pretty much.

Here is So Cal, everything has a sunroof.

Also, they didn't have any of the green ones. There were very few green at ALL, in the STATE, much less in my configuration.

We ordered my wife's Ford Fusion, that was basically painless. That was funny, couldn't find that car anywhere either, of course (well, unless you wanted leather and a sunroof...). But a month or so after we got it, we found it's clone in a parking lot.

I'm patient enough to wait, get what I want. Dealers like to gee gaw the cars up more than I like.

Dan JGC 05-12-2014 01:32 PM

You are spot on.

You get the later build date which I think is important for various reasons. Why not get a freshly built GC that no on else has been driving....even test driving? You get exactly what you want without paying for things you don't want.

I was in the same boat with a dealership who was getting close on price but it had the CD player (waste of money, waste of space). I did a couple of weeks of looking and seeing if dealers could order/price match etc. etc. etc. In hindsight, I should just saved those two weeks and ordered right away via the DC buyers group.

Ordering is pretty much the way to go, at least in South Florida, if you want a 4x4 as the 4x4's are slim pickings especially when you know exactly what you want.

Looks like you got a good week...maybe two....until delivery. It is worth the wait!

vassili 05-12-2014 01:51 PM

wanted a base v6 white overland w/ black interior. srsly...none around 100km radius. lol.

Hammerhead 05-12-2014 02:19 PM

Same here. We placed our order in mid-September and it didn't arrive at the dealer until December 26th due to the delay in getting the DPF tanks installed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun2drive (Post 1020963)
Ordered mine because I wanted the diesel engine 8 spd ZF transmission.
My SFU took over 2 months to arrive over the holidays...