Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   What's the best kind of wash mitt/sponge? and drying with a squeegee? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/whats-the-best-kind-of-wash-mitt-sponge-and-drying-with-a-squeegee-7507.html)

JDubya 03-14-2010 12:29 PM

What's the best kind of wash mitt/sponge? and drying with a squeegee?

I've tried sheepskin mitts but they don't last long. After a few washings, the fur starts to come out and gets stuck on various parts of the car. After that, I got a microfiber wrapped sponge. It gets the job done. But now I want a new one for the WK and I want the best. I've been eyeing one of those mitts with long microfiber "strings" all over it. My WK is black so I need to do everything I can to limit swirls. Any recommendations?

Also, are those "water blades" (silicone squeegees) OK to use for drying? I used one on my previous two cars and it really hastens the drying process. Is there any way they can damage the paint (assuming the paint and silicone is clean)?

Robert Palmer 03-14-2010 12:36 PM

Re: What's the best kind of wash mitt/sponge? and drying with a squeegee?

I dont think there is really a "best" mitt, it is based on personal preference. I like the sheepskin mitts. JMO

As far as the water blades go, NO! Because if you missed a couple pieces of dirt, hello scratches. Get yourself a 2 piece shop vac or a leaf blower and use that for drying (along with microfiber towels). IMO.

Motteler621 03-14-2010 12:49 PM

ive got all cobra microfiber stuff, they are considered the best in microfiber.

JDubya 03-14-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motteler621 (Post 169293)
ive got all cobra microfiber stuff, they are considered the best in microfiber.

Where do you get yours from?

This is the mitt I was thinking about http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-blue-microfiber-mitt.html

Motteler621 03-14-2010 01:09 PM

yea i get my stuff from there. I also have that mitt. Its good, no complaints from me. You should also pick up some other cobra stuff if you order. Their drying towels are amazing and so are the others.

JDubya 03-14-2010 01:13 PM

Will do. I just made a huge order from Detailed Image so once I get some more microfiber goodies I'll be good to go. Thanks for the recommendation.

Scottina06 03-14-2010 01:31 PM

Ive tried all the different mitts and the blue microfiber like you showed from autgeek is pretty good.....BUT.....you can get almost the same mitt at most autoparts stores.

I dont like using the blowers and vacs.....have you ever tried "sheeting"? I always do the "sheeting" method and then use my microfiber drying towels. The sheeting really pulls the majority of the water off the vehicle...so theres not much work to do with the towel.

Martyp 03-14-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 169311)
...have you ever tried "sheeting"? I always do the "sheeting" method and then use my microfiber drying towels. The sheeting really pulls the majority of the water off the vehicle...so theres not much work to do with the towel.

x2 on the sheeting system, one of the best ways to minimise inflicting swirls, especially if you dab the drying MF (usually Waffle Weave) over the wet patches left instead of dragging it over them.

I do like using the air compressor to get the water out of mirrors, vents and other trim pieces to ensure it doesn't drip out later too though.

As far as washing mitts go I don't really care to be honest. I loved the Sonus Lambswool mitt but my favourite supplier never had any so I went with a Meguairs Microfibre version - no difference really. So long as you're using the two bucket method (one bucket with soapy water, one bucket with clean water which you dip the mitt in after every panel) it's really just personal preference.

I also like grout sponges which can be great if you don't want your neighbours thinking your insane using a lambswool mitt to clean your car, I don't care anymore though and they all know I'm past help now. :lol:

JDubya 03-14-2010 04:51 PM

By sheeting do you mean just using a hose with no nozzle on the end so that the water coming out is bubble free and sheets off the car?

I haven't done that in a while b/c on my previous car/jeep I'd use a pressure washer then waterblade with a microfiber towel for finishing touches.

ah another Canon guy :thumbsup:

Motteler621 03-14-2010 04:58 PM

yea its using the hose without a nozzle and holding it at an angle on the cars panel so that the water literaly sheets off instead of beading on the car.

robpp 03-14-2010 05:01 PM

i use one of those blades. elvis is too paranoid. plus if you blow the piece of dirt down the paint its the same thing.

then i have a boars hair brush for my washing. its so soft you could use it to wash your BALLS. i think i paid 50 for it in 1987......still kicking. that thing will outlast me. and I only use it when the truck is very dirty, after a good foaming of course.

DetailedImage.com 03-14-2010 05:04 PM

I don't think there is one definite best product. Using good technique (see our Detailing Guide) is also equally important. Here are two of my favorite washing tools:

DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt

http://www.detailedimage.com/product...0_1_m_2865.jpg

Price $9.99

• Perfect wash medium to help minimize adding swirls and other imperfections to the paint
  • The natural fibers help pull contamination away from the surface without grinding them in
  • When done using, rinse any contamination using free flowing water than hang dry with leather hoop
  • For best results, use in conjunction with a 2 bucket wash system utilizing Grit Guard Inserts

Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge

http://www.detailedimage.com/product...3_1_m_4625.jpg

Price $5.99

• One of the most popular used wash mediums by professional detailers
  • Very soft and durable, while being able to hold tons of suds and water helps reduce imperfections
  • One of the best features of the grout sponge is that it releases contamination very easily
  • For maximum results, use in combination with a Grit Guard bucket insert

If you have any questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI