Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Shipping a car - road damage? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/shipping-a-car-road-damage-75090.html)

Rumline 05-14-2014 02:08 PM

Shipping a car - road damage?

So my Overland has arrived at River Oaks in Houston! I'm stoked. But I need to have it shipped home to me as I don't have time to drive it the 1600 miles to LA. I've never had a car shipped before. Should I be concerned about road damage in transit? Should I ask the dealer to leave the protective films on the car?

MOFSTEEL 05-14-2014 02:12 PM

Re: Shipping a car - road damage?

Get it shipped enclosed carrier. I had a car sent from Mission Viejo to Chicago with no issues. Just make sure you go with a reputable carrier.

lstowell 05-14-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumline (Post 1022234)
So my Overland has arrived at River Oaks in Houston! I'm stoked. But I need to have it shipped home to me as I don't have time to drive it the 1600 miles to LA. I've never had a car shipped before. Should I be concerned about road damage in transit? Should I ask the dealer to leave the protective films on the car?

Your dealer may be able to help recommend a shipper for you.
For a vehicle that expensive, I don't know if you could get one of the big classic car auction houses to recommend their shippers...
Or, you could give Jay Leno a ring and see who he uses...

Yes, damage is a risk, I'd certainly ask the dealer to leave every bit of protection on, and see if you can coordinate delivery to a local dealer?

bill_de 05-14-2014 02:28 PM

Jay uses InterCity Lines, according to this;

Intercity Lines, Inc.

---

ClarksHawk 05-14-2014 03:46 PM

uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves you can outline what kind of shipping you want (enclosed) and the shippers bid to win your project. and you might even be on shipping wars tv show.

rubicontrail.net 05-14-2014 04:08 PM

I have used an enclosed carrier from: Reliable Carriers, Inc. | Vehicles Taken Seriously.

Dan JGC 05-14-2014 06:57 PM

Even on an open carrier...the risk of road damage is probably less than the risk of road damage if you drove it. Right? So, it really comes down to how much you want to spend. The difference between an open carrier versus a closed carrier...consider the the cost of insurance from road damage. Other than that, the risks are the same, semi gets into accident, semi has to slam on the breaks, etc.... Me personally, I don't think I'd spend too much more for the closed carrier - "insurance cost". As long as the carrier is insured against damage to your vehicle.

Just my thoughts...

chwoner 05-15-2014 11:43 AM

I'm so confused

denis4x4 05-15-2014 06:58 PM

Shipped six figure cars using Reliable with nary a problem.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

Dan JGC 05-15-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denis4x4 (Post 1022964)
Shipped six figure cars using Reliable with nary a problem.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

Ooooo, looks expensive.

Dan JGC 05-15-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chwoner (Post 1022741)
I'm so confused

Price of Covered Transport - Price of Open Transport = "Insurance" to Protect the Vehicle from Road Debris. How much are you willing to pay for that "Insurance" to cover that risk?

But covered transport is not a guarantee of no damage as both covered and open drive the cars on and off the transport, could get into an accident, etc. The only difference that I can see is possible road debris but road debris is also a risk if you are driving your vehicle.

The bottom line is, what is the cost for this protection.

chwoner 05-16-2014 02:44 PM

I was confused why you would buy a vehicle so far away from your home.