Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Vinyl wrapped my chrome trim (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/vinyl-wrapped-my-chrome-trim-75104.html)

Mikes14srt 05-14-2014 07:26 PM

Vinyl wrapped my chrome trim

4 Attachment(s)
So I have had my truck for about 8 months. A few months ago I removed the Grand Cherokee door emblems and Jeep hood emblem. Bought an extra set of SRT emblems..plastidipped those and the Jeep logo on the rear brow. Love the blacked out look with a white truck especially with the black chrome spider monkey wheels. I couldn't commit to blacking out the grill rings and window mouldings but after months of checking out pics on this forum..I had to do it. I went to a local shop where I had my windows tinted when I first bought the truck and they wanted $600 to wrap the window mouldings, seven upper grill rings and two lower grill rings. I'm a DIY guy and like to work on my own truck so I know everything was done right so figured I'm gonna do it myself. I am very meticulous and took my good old time getting it just right and the outcome is awesome. I used 3M gloss black 1080 scotch print and materials cost me $65. All said and done I have about 6 hours into doing all the trim but think overall it has changed the look of the truck and made it even more badass. Anyone looking to tackle the project themselves I used...1 roll of 12x60 for the grill and lower rings and one roll of 24x60 for the door mouldings. That gave me plenty of extra incase of any mistakes. Only other tools needed are an exacto type knife with some replacement blades, a plastic squeegee tool, microfiber towel and a bottle of windex...and last but not least...patience and a steady hand. Attachment 39725Attachment 39726Attachment 39727Attachment 39728

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

SRTBLK 05-14-2014 08:09 PM

Re: Vinyl wrapped my chrome trim

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikes14srt (Post 1022405)
So I have had my truck for about 8 months. A few months ago I removed the Grand Cherokee door emblems and Jeep hood emblem. Bought an extra set of SRT emblems..plastidipped those and the Jeep logo on the rear brow. Love the blacked out look with a white truck especially with the black chrome spider monkey wheels. I couldn't commit to blacking out the grill rings and window mouldings but after months of checking out pics on this forum..I had to do it. I went to a local shop where I had my windows tinted when I first bought the truck and they wanted $600 to wrap the window mouldings, seven upper grill rings and two lower grill rings. I'm a DIY guy and like to work on my own truck so I know everything was done right so figured I'm gonna do it myself. I am very meticulous and took my good old time getting it just right and the outcome is awesome. I used 3M gloss black 1080 scotch print and materials cost me $65. All said and done I have about 6 hours into doing all the trim but think overall it has changed the look of the truck and made it even more badass. Anyone looking to tackle the project themselves I used...1 roll of 12x60 for the grill and lower rings and one roll of 24x60 for the door mouldings. That gave me plenty of extra incase of any mistakes. Only other tools needed are an exacto type knife with some replacement blades, a plastic squeegee tool, microfiber towel and a bottle of windex...and last but not least...patience and a steady hand. Attachment 39725Attachment 39726Attachment 39727Attachment 39728

Looks great! should have come that way stock....cost me about the same.

Scottina06 05-14-2014 09:07 PM

looks awesome! Mine has been done just about a year now...still looks perfect.

motor351 05-14-2014 09:36 PM

Looking good I have been wanting to do my chrome trim but have been holding off not sure how good a job I would do. I have bought all the gear but haven't made that last step.

gnasty1521 05-14-2014 10:25 PM

Did you have to give anything "tooth" to get the vinyl to stick? I really don't want to sand body pieces. It looks awesome though. Great job.

Scottina06 05-14-2014 11:18 PM

the vinyl has its own adhesive. Just clean the surface with a 50/50 mixture of alcohol/water.

Lateral Line 05-15-2014 01:50 AM

Good job and thank you for the info. I've been contemplating on tackling this myself.

Mikes14srt 05-15-2014 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnasty1521 (Post 1022513)
Did you have to give anything "tooth" to get the vinyl to stick? I really don't want to sand body pieces. It looks awesome though. Great job.

Just cleaned the areas good with alcohol wipes and also used a hair dryer to soften the material and help achieve the curved areas in the front and rear corners. I applied the vinyl in my garage and out of the sun...did one side on one day and then pulled the truck out into the sun for a couple hours and went around and smoothed with a microfiber towel a few times. The following day I did the other side and while and repeated the process. While it was out in the sun I popped off the grill rings one at a time and did those back in the garage. Don't know if this is the proper way to do it but I was thinking the warmth of the sun would help activate the glue and give me good adhesion. Seems to have worked great and I washed the truck yesterday for the first time with no issues.

Mikes14srt 05-15-2014 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lateral Line (Post 1022566)
Good job and thank you for the info. I've been contemplating on tackling this myself.

Thanks for the comments. As long as you have the patience..I say go for it. There's something about the satisfaction you get when you can stand back and look at your truck after working on it yourself and say...I did that.

Mikes14srt 05-15-2014 06:26 AM

As far as looks go..now I'm there loving every part of it. I have the DRL harness to install from another form member. Then comes the fun part. Maybe next weekend if all goes well. Bwoody comes off and Ripp supercharger system gets installed in my garage. Planning on a couple days for this mod though.

Red Suns 05-15-2014 08:37 AM

That looks awesome. I've been contemplating in doing this myself. Assuming you took off the chrome window trim to wrap them, what was your technique in removing them?

Mikes14srt 05-15-2014 08:40 AM

No removal of the trim was necessary only removed the grill rings to make it easier to wrap all the way around . Otherwise the window pieces you just wrap it and tuck it with a plastic squeegee applicator tool and then cut it very carefully with a sharp X-Acto knife along the rubber trim.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage