Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export & Diesel Powered Jeep Models (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/)
-   -   Post your Provent/Racor setups (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/post-your-provent-racor-setups-7513.html)

USN_BlackWK 03-14-2010 05:09 PM

Post your Provent/Racor setups

I will be getting the new intake tube at the next oil change (in 200 miles) to fix my "oil dripping onto the swirl motor" issue. However after being nearly a quart low at the last two oil change intervals, I've finally decided an oil-air filter setup is mandatory (I just cant stand the thought of all that oil going into the engine, mixing with the recirculated exhaust gases, and gumming it up!). I love this engine too much to ignore the problem any longer (the fact that a replacement engine costs the majority of the price of my WK new may factor into this decision).

So post up your fixes!

CRD Dawg 03-15-2010 08:26 PM

Re: Post your Provent/Racor setups

3 Attachment(s)
I use the Racor CCV4500. It is mounted to a bracket I had fabricated by a local machine shop. The bracket is bolted to one of the shock tower screws. The round, black CCV valve is removed and is replaced by a custom machined coupling that fits into the valve cover opening and is held in place by a fabricated clip. Attached is a 3/4" hydraulic hose with gentle bend (not kinked), running along firewall to a 90 degree brass elbow. 2 inches of the same hose runs into another 90 degree coupling that fits into the intake side of the Racor CCV4500. Leaving the CCV canister is a pre-molded 1" radiator hose I found at the auto parts store that perfectly fits the contour needed to reach the fitting at the turbo intake. It is secured with hose clamps at either end. You'll notice that I put insulating tape around the end that will be subjected to the high temps next to the turbo. I wanted a larger diameter hose with gradual bends leaving the CCV canister to hopefully help with reducing back pressure. There is a sealed drain tube that runs beneath the vehicle from the bottom of the CCV canister.

CRD Dawg 03-15-2010 08:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More pics.

CRD Dawg 03-15-2010 08:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the last few with a close up of the connection to the valve cover and of the CCV filter canister. You'll notice in this batch that the hose running from the exhuast port on the CCV filter to the turbo intake is NOT the pre-molded hose I have in the FIRST set of pictures. It was patched together with the original CCV breather hose. These were taken before I found a heater hose with all the right bends in it.

USN_BlackWK 03-15-2010 10:01 PM

nice setup and pictures!

Does the Racor have a reservoir in it, or do you just empty it often? And as far as finding a radiator hose that had the right contours, was that crucial? or would a universal radiator hose have been flexible enough to work?

CRD Dawg 03-17-2010 09:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The canister is the reservoir plus the volume of the drain tube should cover it for quite a while. You're not really catching a great volume of oil, maybe a 1/2 cup in 5k miles. Still enough to really gum up your engine though. I had to use a pre bent hose. The straight 1" hose couldn't make all the tight bends I needed it to, for my design. A kinked hose would stop crankcase air flow and would spell disaster. Here's the filter new and after about 1k miles. Dark with oil but still a lot more absorption ability left. Plan to change it once a year(about 10k miles for me). In the background of pics 2 and 3, you can vaguely see the drain hose running from beneath the CCV canister.

AB Jeepster 03-19-2010 07:31 PM

do they all suffer from that affliction? What should I be looking for to tell if my beloved CRD has the problem you describe?

CRD Dawg 03-19-2010 07:58 PM

All CRDs suffer from this. Essentially what happens is that the oily blow-by or crankcase vapors that pass thru the round black valve (located on the valve cover on the passenger side near the firewall) and thru the black hose that connects to the air intake, get sucked into the intake. They mix with the dry, sooty EGR gasses and form a horrible black goo that clogs the intake, intercooler and the swirl motor. Apparently, it usually takes about 60k for these problems to appear. Many CRDs get so overwhelmed by these crankcase vapors that they start to leak from the connection where the air intake tube meets the mouth of the turbo. It can leak all over the outside of the engine and fill the valley between the cylinder banks. Thats what to look for. The Racor CCV filter catches the oil in in crank case vapors and just sends clean air thru onto the turbo. I plan to eventually get the InMotion ECM tune that electronically reduces EGR function which will minimize the sooty EGR gases that are forced back into the engine as well.

AB Jeepster 03-20-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRD Dawg (Post 172832)
All CRDs suffer from this. Essentially what happens is that the oily blow-by or crankcase vapors that pass thru the round black valve (located on the valve cover on the passenger side near the firewall) and thru the black hose that connects to the air intake, get sucked into the intake. They mix with the dry, sooty EGR gasses and form a horrible black goo that clogs the intake, intercooler and the swirl motor. Apparently, it usually takes about 60k for these problems to appear. Many CRDs get so overwhelmed by these crankcase vapors that they start to leak from the connection where the air intake tube meets the mouth of the turbo. It can leak all over the outside of the engine and fill the valley between the cylinder banks. Thats what to look for. The Racor CCV filter catches the oil in in crank case vapors and just sends clean air thru onto the turbo. I plan to eventually get the InMotion ECM tune that electronically reduces EGR function which will minimize the sooty EGR gases that are forced back into the engine as well.

aaaaaaw I'm gonna throw up in my mouth. I am half way there already... so I guess I had better start looking for a catch can set up....

USN_BlackWK 03-20-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB Jeepster (Post 173098)
aaaaaaw I'm gonna throw up in my mouth. I am half way there already... so I guess I had better start looking for a catch can set up....

That was going to be my next question. Why does everyone stick with the provent or raccor and not a catch-can type system? I mean, normally a provent or raccor is used to actually return the oil back to the oil pan (I understand why most do not actually do this as I don't want to cut into my pan either), but would it be just as beneficial to have a normal catch-can, maybe one like the EE setup the Hemi and SRT8 guys use?

AB Jeepster 03-20-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USN_BlackWK (Post 173118)
That was going to be my next question. Why does everyone stick with the provent or raccor and not a catch-can type system? I mean, normally a provent or raccor is used to actually return the oil back to the oil pan (I understand why most do not actually do this as I don't want to cut into my pan either), but would it be just as beneficial to have a normal catch-can, maybe one like the EE setup the Hemi and SRT8 guys use?

I don't know much about either set up... hopefully someone like Scott can answer that.

AB Jeepster 03-24-2010 06:00 PM

bump pls?