Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Autoweek's take on the Summit Ecodiesel (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/autoweeks-take-on-the-summit-ecodiesel-75143.html)

EllisWyatt 05-15-2014 07:48 PM

Autoweek's take on the Summit Ecodiesel

I don't have a dog in this hunt but here are the thoughts of several AW editors: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit EcoDiesel review notes, specs, photos, pricing - Autoweek

ExcursionDiesel 05-15-2014 11:26 PM

Re: Autoweek's take on the Summit Ecodiesel

Dear car snobs...its a Jeep not a BMW. The motor sounds like a diesel because it IS a diesel. Its not loud. In 6 months, only 2 passengers have identified my motor as a diesel by sound...and I take clients to lunch daily. I have no idea why these car snobs are so critical.

Roadkill 05-16-2014 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExcursionDiesel (Post 1023112)
The motor sounds like a diesel because it IS a diesel.

I know I can't be the only one who actually likes the sound of the diesel engine.

Zhe Wiz 05-16-2014 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadkill (Post 1023178)
I know I can't be the only one who actually likes the sound of the diesel engine.

I do! My wife? Not so much. During the slow, city portion of the test she asked "Why does it sound like a truck?" To which I answered "Because it IS a truck!"

On the highway we couldn't hear any appreciable difference.

fun2drive 05-16-2014 12:17 PM

Long time diesel driver be it tractors, trucks, etc and I very much like my JGC diesel. To me it is a keeper and worth hanging on to for 10-12 years.
I am a BMW guy too going all the way back to driving my best man's 2002. Best vehicle I have owned so far over the long run was my 97 M3 which I sold last year. In all that ownership only replaced a brake light switch.
My new BMW 335 is very nice but not a paragon of reliability at all.

I am seeing the ads for the Ram 1500 diesel and if I liked the looks better it would have been interested.

Always keep one thing in mind about reviews from any publication. You are getting a review from someone making twice what minimum wage is and can't afford virtually 98% of the cars and trucks they drive. Their opinion means almost nothing to me.

They don't live with these vehicles for years (for that matter neither does Consumer Reports) and are off to the next tester where they drive the daylights out of vehicles coming back to complain that it doesn't handle like this or brake like that. Totally useless information for those of us that actually have uses for the vehicle and not just to trips to McDonalds...

philbytx 05-16-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadkill (Post 1023178)

Me and the missus both LOVE diesels.......and, like other posters, friends can't believe it IS a diesel!

Autoweek reviewers are, in the main, snobby little wankers.....;)

Rumline 05-16-2014 12:58 PM

I think they're being so hard on it because the Summit is trying to compete with the BMWs and Mercedes as a luxury SUV. The offroad capability is somewhat glossed over with chrome 20" wheels, lower approach / departure angles due to fancy lower fascia, and no ELSD, tow hook, or skid plate options.

That being said, they fail to give it credit for being far less expensive than a similarly-equipped GL350 they seem to love so much, as well as all the other competitors. Maybe people who consider GL350s are independently wealthy and don't mind paying $30k more for no diesel clatter and the hood ornament?

lstowell 05-16-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExcursionDiesel (Post 1023112)
Dear car snobs...its a Jeep not a BMW. The motor sounds like a diesel because it IS a diesel. Its not loud. In 6 months, only 2 passengers have identified my motor as a diesel by sound...and I take clients to lunch daily. I have no idea why these car snobs are so critical.

Possibly because it IS noisy compared to say something like a Touareg or a modern diesel??

Some of them have even driven the Touareg V10 diesel that is sadly no longer available unless you are in a LeMans Audi racer...

And it is a tad on the pricey side now where you would expect some of the poseurs and wannabes to be coming out of the woodwork. And in Europe, there really are much quieter diesels all over the place...

It is a very nice Jeep. It is not a perfect Jeep. Its a Jeep thing... and I don't think they understand at all. Should they need to at that price range is a different discussion Jeep may need to face some day. Even the 6 wheeler G-Wagen is silent these days...

ExcursionDiesel 05-16-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 1023471)
Possibly because it IS noisy compared to say something like a Touareg or a modern diesel??

The only ones noticing noise are the paid writers. I haven't read of any owners complaining of noise but I have read comments on the lack of noise. Go figure.

Yadkin 05-16-2014 06:19 PM

I have yet to drive one or even hear one, maybe they are being overly critical, or maybe I haven't been sitting in traffic next to one yet.

But if it is noisy, I'd never have one.

ExcursionDiesel 05-16-2014 07:32 PM

I'm driving my wife's v8 GC and it has way more exhaust note and motor noise. But, you see, its a v8 so somehow that's acceptable. If its a diesel, it should be undetectable.

Now, to show how we are all programmed to think, when I was pulling into the parking lot just now, my wife says "Aren't you glad you got to drive my Jeep....it's a v8." The whole time I was driving it, I was thinking "wow, this is a dog compared to my GC diesel." It totally lacks the midrange punch and acceleration I am used to...and was noisy as well.

Oh, and it didn't have the awesome purring sound at idle that diesel lovers like. No, it doesn't clatter like a Cummins. Its all in what we are used to, I suppose.

Zhe Wiz 05-16-2014 08:26 PM

There's no way you can call the JGC diesel "noisy" if you're being honest. The only time I noticed a DIFFERENT noise was at and just off idle when accelerating from a light. No way was it "noisy". Honestly, the only way to know is if you drive one. Just make sure it's warm so you get a good representation of the noise.

I'm not sure I'd even have noticed the different sound if I hadn't gone straight from the V6 gasser to the diesel. I never have driven the V8, so can't say anything about that engine.