Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   removed the pre cats (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/removed-the-pre-cats-7522.html)

josef15111 03-14-2010 10:02 PM

removed the pre cats

hey guys i just had my brother pull my pre cats and replaced them with piping and welded it all together, i got a code for a o2 sensor i beleave it isnt hooked up all the way, i was in supper pain and not doing so good so we had to hurry the job up. we got it back together and i drove her home from the shop tonght. WOW what a diffrence in just removing them two converters! i mean i was shocked i still have the big fatory one in place that will be removed and a 3" magnaflow hi flow one will replace it in about a week. :thumbsup:

The code i got was something 00051 its bank 2 sensor 1. i think its not pluged all the way in. my question is i wont get a cel for taking them off will i? i am sure i read some where that it wont hurt them at all. please tell me i was right lol.

by the way kidney stones and exhaust work DO NOT MIX! :slapfight:
surgery again tomorrow 8:30 am hope they fix me!!!!

good night all

Joe

jeeppro 03-14-2010 10:31 PM

Re: removed the pre cats

not good

josef15111 03-14-2010 10:44 PM

not good how? explane becaus ei do remember reading that it helped out a lot on the breathing of the 4.7 to remove them and put in a hi flow where the big cat is. It was from someone in here i will hunt it down tomorrow.

bmflyfish 03-15-2010 09:18 AM

Good luck with the surgery for kidney stones!

josef15111 03-15-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Good luck with the surgery for kidney stones!

Thanks they finally got it out!!!! no more stint no more stone!!!! i sil lhurt like hell tho. hopefully no tmuch longer. thanks guys

Joe

Escape 03-15-2010 03:52 PM

You can pull the cats... no worries!

Bank 2 Sensor 1 is a issue though, as it tells the PCM how to adjust your fuel trims...I'd fix that asap.

As for your post cat sensors you can just do the Spark Plug Non Fouler PN 42009 ($4.99) trick!

Found here.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how...ouler-how.html

I will be doing this as soon as I install my cat-less American Racing Long tubes.

josef15111 03-17-2010 01:25 PM

all fixed!!! i the bank 2 sensor 1 is the one on the passenger side before the small cats. that one wasnt plugged in all the way i gave it a strong squeeze and bam reset the computer and drove her last night got on it hard and all no CEL YA HOOOOOOOOOOOOO
sorry it made my night to see that i didnt have to buy a 80.00 o2 sensor!!

caa0428 04-21-2010 10:52 PM

how thick of tubing and which kind did you use? I have been wanting to do this for a while but havent had the experience or balls for that matter.

josef15111 04-22-2010 03:01 PM

its 2" i think around 7 1/8 inch long. just cut them out an weld the pipes in.

02 WJ 4.7 V8 04-22-2010 08:00 PM

ill def be doing this to mine ... did you do it yourself or have someone do it for you?

josef15111 04-24-2010 05:10 PM

my brother and i did it in i think 8 hoursish. wasnt hard unbolt the downpipes and make a cut on the main peice take it off measure up and cut right by the welds of the cats.. measure your pipe and put the pipes back on the manifold so you can position for the pipes to be welded in. tack weld the pipes and remove for final welding. put them back on and weld the seam you cut on the main pipe.

now your gunna wanna get a new main cat, i would recomend a HI FLOW one im going with a thundercat converter. good luck

02 WJ 4.7 V8 04-24-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josef15111 (Post 195530)
my brother and i did it in i think 8 hoursish. wasnt hard unbolt the downpipes and make a cut on the main peice take it off measure up and cut right by the welds of the cats.. measure your pipe and put the pipes back on the manifold so you can position for the pipes to be welded in. tack weld the pipes and remove for final welding. put them back on and weld the seam you cut on the main pipe.

now your gunna wanna get a new main cat, i would recomend a HI FLOW one im going with a thundercat converter. good luck

thanks man i def will try this out one day when i get around to it and plain it out