Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   For those of you with an 8 speed on the V6 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/for-those-of-you-with-an-8-speed-on-the-v6-75234.html)

Chunderboy 05-18-2014 05:21 PM

For those of you with an 8 speed on the V6

I was at the dealership on Saturday and got to speaking with one of the head tech guys about certain issues my fellow keep brothers were having with their 8 speed (I have the 5 speed) transmissions and he definitely recognized that there is a problem, but also said that what he does to mitigate it is keep it in sport mode. Not sure if that has already been talked about, but he said that along with the tsb, those two used in conjunction helped the jerkyness and unnecessary shifting bc it isn't always looking for that more fuel efficient gear.

Just thought I would throw that out there to you guys.

As a side note; the new altitude is sick looking, but he and I were both confused as to why their isn't a backup camera and park assist, but I digress.

dubwarren 05-18-2014 06:36 PM

re: For those of you with an 8 speed on the V6

I can't speak for anyone else but my experience has been excellent with regard to the transmission post TSB. Prior to the tsb I was using sport often. Now, regular drive has been very smooth both accelerating and slowing down. I'm not sure it could be any better on my particular jeep.

Everyone talks about early builds being problematic. But I'm pretty sure it's all software related. I mean I don't think jeep is manufacturing them any differently now vs jan/feb 2013. I just think through software updates a lot of the bugs have been corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Chunderboy 05-18-2014 07:56 PM

Yea, I agree that it wouldn't be mechanical differences, then again, what do I know. As far as the tsb, he made it seem that it helped, but working in conjunction with the sport mode made the shifting less intrusive. Glad your shifting got sorted out though..

14SummitHemi 05-18-2014 08:14 PM

You should change thread title to include V6 as that is the one with unresolved shifting issues and mechanical/valve body problems that the tech had to be speaking of. The V8/Diesel tranny only has minor shifting issues (resolved) that were not widespread and zero mechanical issues.

I only mention this because it helps separate the content for the different user bases.

Chunderboy 05-18-2014 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14SummitHemi (Post 1024404)
You should change thread title to include V6 as that is the one with unresolved shifting issues and mechanical/valve body problems that the tech had to be speaking of. The V8/Diesel tranny only has minor shifting issues (resolved) that were not widespread and zero mechanical issues.

I only mention this because it helps separate the content for the different user bases.

Agreed and thanks for that tip..

Chunderboy 05-18-2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14SummitHemi (Post 1024404)

How would someone go about editing the thread title?

BlckWK2 05-18-2014 08:48 PM

I have a late March build Altitude and use it in ECO mode 90% of the time. Only having 2K on the odometer, I have to say my experience with the 8 speed has been great. As for the back up camera? Mine will be installed soon.

14SummitHemi 05-18-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunderboy (Post 1024425)
How would someone go about editing the thread title?

click on Go Advanced and then you can see/edit the thread title....

GCLimited 05-19-2014 06:34 AM

My current later build (12/2013) 2014 V6 Overland shifts 100% better than my early build 2014 V6 Limited (04/2013) that I traded in for the Overland.

Chunderboy 05-19-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 1024568)
My current later build (12/2013) 2014 V6 Overland shifts 100% better than my early build 2014 V6 Limited (04/2013) that I traded in for the Overland.

Yea, that's what 14summithemi was talking about....that it was a V6 problem more so than an 8 or diesel.

redddog 05-19-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunderboy (Post 1024601)
Yea, that's what 14summithemi was talking about....that it was a V6 problem more so than an 8 or diesel.

Aren't those both V6s?

redddog 05-19-2014 09:33 AM

I have a really stupid question about modes. You'll have to bear with me as this is the first vehicle I've ever had that hasn't had full time AWD.

Can you shift between "sport" and regular "drive" modes while moving? And is that true with the select trerrain as well?

Thanks and sorry to dumb this thread down so much.