Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   New 2014 GC Altitude - Already a Problem (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/new-2014-gc-altitude-already-a-problem-75243.html)

jaw4322 05-18-2014 08:36 PM

New 2014 GC Altitude - Already a Problem

So I got my Altitude on Friday, and the last two days ive had a weird issue. The first time i was at a stop light, and started to go, but all it would do is rev. Looking at the dash it said it was in sport mode, and the eco light was off. I tried to hit the eco button, but nothing, and the display was flashing a bit. Second time i was just slowing down to park and the same thing happened. To fix it i have to pull over, turn off the jeep and then start back up.

Anyone else have/had this issue? i'll obviously have to take it back to the dealer, but any insight would be helpful, as it doesnt happen every time i drive. Dont want to take it in, and them just tell me its fine.

Very disappointed, as this is the first new car, and i'm hoping this isnt a sign of things to come. :(

Edit: I do want to add when its not having issues its great. I love everything about it. It also looks sick...lol I have the black on black version, and everyone that has seen it says it awesome.

BlckWK2 05-18-2014 08:55 PM

Re: New 2014 GC Altitude - Already a Problem

You cant turn ECO mode on (by pressing the button) unless you pull back on the shifter to exit out from SPORT mode. I strictly use Sport mode when I need to quickly accelerate by passing someone or coming out into traffic/entering the highway. I always pull the shifter back to get into normal drive mode (ECO mode) after though.

I also have the Altitude black on black. Head turner for sure! Congrats on the new ride!!!

jaw4322 05-18-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlckWK2 (Post 1024434)
You cant turn ECO mode on (by pressing the button) unless you pull back on the shifter to exit out from SPORT mode. I strictly use Sport mode when I need to quickly accelerate by passing someone or coming out into traffic/entering the highway. I always pull the shifter back to get into normal drive mode (ECO mode) after though.

I also have the Altitude black on black. Head turner for sure! Congrats on the new ride!!!

Thanks BlckWK2. Ive been following your build and will be doing most of the same mods.

Guess i should have mentioned, i was in eco mode, but it jumps to sports mode on its own, but doesnt want to shift at all, just revs. If i hit the eco button, it doesnt enable. Only way to fix it is to power off and back on. Just saying that makes me feel like Im at work. "Have you tried powering your pc off and back on?" lol

Dan JGC 05-18-2014 09:13 PM

Are you sure you didn't hit one of the paddle shifters by mistake?

jaw4322 05-18-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan JGC (Post 1024453)
Are you sure you didn't hit one of the paddle shifters by mistake?

Lol..thinking about it i dont know. Guess i could have. So if i hit the paddle shifter it will enable sport mode? Sorry havent had time to play/test everything yet (newb). Even doing so, wouldnt hitting the eco button get me out of sport and into eco? Also the screen seemed to be flashing a bit.

Dan JGC 05-18-2014 09:25 PM

Paddle shifter would take it out of eco mode. I did this TWICE when I first got my 2014.....I was like "what is going on" and got into left turn lane at light, turned off, then back on and all was fine.... I had to learn about the paddle shifters....felt like an idiot... LOL LOL LOL Just hold the "+" paddle shifter for a second or two and it goes back to normal versus override. Can shift to sport mode to override to sport mode then shift again to go to normal. But "+" paddle is simpler and quicker.

jaw4322 05-18-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan JGC (Post 1024457)
Paddle shifter would take it out of eco mode. I did this TWICE when I first got my 2014.....I was like "what is going on and got into left turn lane at light, turned off, then back on and all was fine.... I had to learn about the paddle shifters....felt like an idiot... LOL LOL LOL Just hold the "+" paddle shifter for a second or two and it goes back to normal versus override. Can shift to sport mode to override to sport mode then shift again to go to normal. But "+" paddle is simpler and quicker.

LOL...well that would make sense. Thanks Dan! Ill have to play with it tomorrow. Classic user error if true. :iws:

GCLimited 05-19-2014 06:06 AM

Accidently hitting one of the shift paddles while the vehicle is running does not put it in neutral...so it may be something else.

I've accidently hit the shift paddle a couple of times when I got my first GC (putting it into Sport mode) while making sharp turns in my companies parking garage...it would just lock it in a lower gear, never neutral.

Roger Ramjet 05-19-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 1024552)
Accidently hitting one of the shift paddles while the vehicle is running does not put it in neutral...so it may be something else.

I'm not positive, but I believe by revving, he meant it was stuck in 1st gear.

GCLimited 05-19-2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet (Post 1024647)

I'm not positive, but I believe by revving, he meant it was stuck in 1st gear.

Not saying you're wrong, but I took his below statement as being in neutral...

"The first time i was at a stop light, and started to go, but all it would do is rev."

Roger Ramjet 05-19-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 1024658)
Not saying you're wrong, but I took his below statement as being in neutral...

"The first time i was at a stop light, and started to go, but all it would do is rev."

I think you could read that either way ("started to go"), anyway he will hopefully post again and let us know.

Dan JGC 05-19-2014 11:20 AM

Roger Ramjet - That's how I read it too. I remember my experience where it was revving high but not really going anywhere....LOL....hence my thought it got shifted down in error. In the 2011, getting used to the keyless ignition was an adjustment (albeit short) and in the 2014 the paddle shifters and electronic shifter take a short adjustment and of course the feeling of forgetting the gas cap will take a few fill ups!