Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Started the RIPP supercharger install (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/started-the-ripp-supercharger-install-75536.html)

Mikes14srt 05-26-2014 07:25 PM

Started the RIPP supercharger install

7 Attachment(s)
Just a quick update for those who have been asking or are interested in installing the RIPP supercharger kit themselves. Picked my kit up last Thursday and started the install with a friend this morning in my garage. First couple of steps are to replace spark plugs and fuel injectors. Skipped those for now..wanted to get the front end off and really get into the good stuff. Front bumper removal is a little tricky especially in the corners where it meets the fenders. RIPPs instructions are a little confusing in how to seperate the two but I took some pics and wrote down a few things I am going to forward to them to make easier for everyone else. After that a bunch of harness' get disconnected a few clips removed and the upper rad support moved out of the way. I hit my first snag with the only step I was dreading. The kit comes with a guide and bolt for pinning the crank pulley so there is no chance of it slipping under boost. First step was removing the crank bolt..not an easy task..tried a pry bar and breaker bar..no luck...couldn't keep the crank from spinning. Then I used a 3/8 pneumatic impact gun I have...crank didn't spin but neither did bolt. Lol. I walked away for a few minutes to clear my head and came back with an idea. Worked perfect I took (2) 3 inch bolts I had laying around and just put them thru two of the three smaller holes in the crank pulley. With that I was able to take my pry bar and put it between the two bolts and put the plastic handle under the AC compressor pulley..put a breaker bar on my 13/16 socket and with a little grunt it broke right loose. A little tuff to visualize so I took a good pic of the setup. Highly recommend as it worked like a charm. Got all excited to put the guide on and drill hole..then I hit my next snag..RIPP gave me the wrong size crank bolt to hold the guide in place (mine is metric fine thread..the one they supplied is coarse thread) and you can't use the one you removed because it has a splined washer you can't remove and that is in the way. Anyway..I will straighten that out with RIPP tomorrow. Moved onto the next steps of swapping out a power steering line, mounted the supercharger base bracket to the power steering pump, and mounting supercharger and support brackets. So far I have about 4 hours wrapped up in the project and once I receive the right bolt..I am expecting probably another 4 or so hours to finish it up. Will give updates thru out the week. Plenty to do while I am waiting on the correct crank bolt. Hope this helps Attachment 40218Attachment 40219corner bumper clips Attachment 40220front bumper removed Attachment 40221setup I used to remove crank bolt Attachment 40222different crank bolts Attachment 40223Attachment 40224 blower brackets and blower mounted

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

Carbon6 05-26-2014 09:08 PM

Re: Started the RIPP supercharger install

Strong work! Looks like its going well! Congrats!

jmone 05-26-2014 10:00 PM

Thanks - v.keen to watch along!

SRTWIL 05-27-2014 04:54 AM

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

waterlemon 05-27-2014 09:25 AM

Mike, thank you very much. I don't have an icon that allows me to add a "thank you for this useful post"....I guess I don't have enough posts yet.

RIPP Superchargers 05-27-2014 10:53 AM

Thank you Mike -

we are sorting out the crank bolt at the moment and will have a corrected bolt ASAP- Sorry about that, it seems we ordered the correct bolts, but have taken delivery of 30 wrong ones. Our In house tools used during install are fine thread like yours - so the mistake was in the delivered goods.

- We will work on the Bumper instructions to try and soften the steps

This is why we like to soft launch new kits, thanks guys

RIPPTECH

gnasty1521 05-27-2014 10:58 AM

Subbed. Looks great, I hope we hear good things!

jbjones85 05-27-2014 11:23 AM

Subbed and looking good so far.

Scottina06 05-27-2014 11:32 AM

cant wait to see this done

5.7summit 05-27-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 1028584)
cant wait to see this done

Me too I can't wait until a few guys have these kits installed and we see if they really like them or if anybody has any problems! What would I do without this forum? How would you find out great info like this?? I don't think you ever could really. Not this much info in one spot so easy to search/read/save.

Thanks Scott:thumbsup:

Mikes14srt 05-27-2014 07:19 PM

Supposed to have the correct bolt coming to me tomorrow for the crank drill/pinning. At a stand still til I get thru that step. Then onto some reassembly and mounting of the intercooler :)

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

14StormTrooper 05-28-2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.7summit (Post 1028776)
Me too I can't wait until a few guys have these kits installed and we see if they really like them or if anybody has any problems! What would I do without this forum? How would you find out great info like this?? I don't think you ever could really. Not this much info in one spot so easy to search/read/save.

Thanks Scott:thumbsup:

Agreed!