Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

First Oil Change- JGC 3.6L

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  loveracing1988 
#1 ·
Got 500 miles on her. Broke in and ready to break in the towing ability. I want to change oil at 1,000 miles to be more than good to my engine.

I see discussion about oil and such for the diesel. What, if any, oil do you guys recommend. I assume I have to get the filter at the dealer?

After break in for towing at about 1,500 miles, I'll be heading on a long trip with a 3200# trailer. About 3,000 miles.

#2 ·
Personally I'd wait longer than 1,000 miles before your first oil change. But if you have money to burn, go right ahead. Engines break-in best with dino oil.

I'd at least wait right before you go on your long trip for your first oil change...then go with synthetic.

#4 ·
I did my first oil change at 1000mi also. I've heard that leaving the dino oil in longer is better for the break in is a myth. My corvette came straight from the factory with synthetic oil (Mobile 1) as do a lot of vehicles these days.

It makes sense why an engine would break in better dino oil, but apparently that's not true.

#10 ·
The corvette is kind of in a leage of its own, I'm sure all of the engines are pre run from the factory to get broken in a little before they go to the dealer.
I had a buddy who worked at a Cadillac dealer, all of their 3.6 engines would come in burning oil because the rings never had a chance to seat because of the synthetic oil. The engines would get rebuilt or a short block and refilled with dino oil for the first oil change to give the engine a chance to break in.

#6 ·
I have the 3.6 L gasoline engine. I just mentioned the diesel because I saw other discussions about oil for it.

I used Valvoline in my '96 XJ 4.0L 6 cylinder and it has almost 300,000 miles on it. So, I'm partial to Valvoline, but don't know if it will even work in the new JGC.

1,500 miles will be the last chance before I tow 3,000 miles. I suppose I could find a dealer and get a change midway in Las Vegas. What should that cost?

#8 ·
Allegedly the factory oil is Pennzoil, and that's what the dealers seem to stock for oil changes.

Although you don't need a synth blend or pure synth, it is pretty much your vehicle and your choice. For a long tow in the Vegas area, or just driving in that heat at the freeway speeds, I'd personally go full synth.

As for cost, most dealers now seem to be fighting back against the quick change shops with quick change service at a dealer, with factory filters, factory oil, etc. at the same or a lower price.

Being chicken, I'd do the change at your home dealer with at least 2 days before your trip. Stuff happens, and you do NOT want to be out in the middle of the Mojave, Big Basin, etc. when you discover a leaking filter.

Take it easy on that tow, and you might want to consider sacrificing mileage for less load on the drivetrain by taking it out of ECO mode if the tow is at all heavy or has much drag.

#7 ·
Valvoline meets Chrysler's spec, so you can't go wrong there. I've been using Napa Gold filters -- and they have been working great. Chrysler seems to be in bed with Pennzoil currently, so you can't go wrong with any of their oils either. I also typically do the first change at 1000-1500 (depending on long it was on the lot). I also typically use dino or blend for break-in, although you can use synthetic right away if you wish. Just follow your manual regarding weight, interval, and specs, and you'll be fine.

#9 ·
The tow is a Casita 17' fiberglass travel trailer. (similar to an Airstream in shape). It is pretty aerodynamic. I was intending to start after 1,000 miles and tow it around home for 100 or so miles on the freeway and back roads at 45-50 Mph just to be on the safe side. I figured, if I do that the weekend before the trip, I have a little time to work out any bugs.

Got the trailer bearings repacked and brakes checked. Just need to install my brake controller and do some test drives locally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.