Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   V rated tires ok replacement? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/v-rated-tires-ok-replacement-75614.html)

CLStech 05-28-2014 11:45 PM

V rated tires ok replacement?

I know the stock pirellis are W rated. Most comparable sizes in all seasons that are non-runflat are V rated.

Will a V rated tire be OK for the SRT?

Red Suns 05-29-2014 12:28 AM

Re: V rated tires ok replacement?

Depends on what kind of driving you plan on doing and how fast.

CLStech 05-29-2014 07:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Understood. As my daily driver I don't see myself making runs over 149mph, got those out me system for now...

Dealer is not trying to put a v rated tire on the truck. They are suggesting a W rated tire, which is fine BUT it is 295/40/20...

I'm not feeling the size change, granted they may be able to change the tire size in the vehicles computer, i'm facing the following
-over 1" change in overall diameter (-1.16")
-over 3% speed change of tire size cannot be updated (-3.81%)
Attachment 40353

Thoughts gentleman? From what I've seen people replacing the stock perrelis with, it seems everyone is going with v rated tires. I also need all seasons at this time...

jbjones85 05-29-2014 07:23 AM

I would personally go with the right size is a slightly lower speed rating. As a dd I can't see the need for a w rated tire.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

JeffL 05-29-2014 07:56 AM

a v rated tire is fine. 149mph should be good enough. will this very large square even get to 149?

CLStech 05-29-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffL (Post 1029454)
a v rated tire is fine. 149mph should be good enough. will this very large square even get to 149?

I can confirm 156... and very stable

A-kon 05-29-2014 08:57 AM

Don't do it man! Try to get ahold of the hard to find Non-Runflat Pirelli's in stock size. They're hard to get but they're out there.

Google "295/45r20 asimmetrico" and read into it. Also, if you like the wide tire look, understand the non-Pirellis are going to be more narrow.

I'm even thinking about buying a set just to have when I need them.

EDIT: Pirelli has updated their website so I'm pretty sure they have discontinued these for the USA. You can still find them however.

CLStech 05-29-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A-kon (Post 1029471)
Don't do it man! Try to get ahold of the hard to find Non-Runflat Pirelli's in stock size. They're hard to get but they're out there.

Google "295/45r20 asimmetrico" and read into it. Also, if you like the wide tire look, understand the non-Pirellis are going to be more narrow.

I'm even thinking about buying a set just to have when I need them.

Absolutely those are on the list. They are V rated so hence the above question. I'm not trying to be cheap but they don't have a wear warranty which is concerning. Not trying to replace them again like the stocks in 18k miles...

A-kon 05-29-2014 09:29 AM

I just emailed Pirelli to see what the deal is. I told them there are a lot of owners who are fed up with run flats, and want to keep Pirellis but don't have options. Let's see what they say.

A-kon 05-29-2014 10:01 AM

"Adam,

Thank you for your inquiry. I show that tire size in the Scorpion Zero listed as active until stock depleted with an available number of tires in our warehouses as 0. So it looks as if the Scorpion zero in that size has been discontinued, and is no longer available. The other options we offer in that size are run-flat models. So if you're looking for a non run-flat it would appear we would not have anything we'd be able to offer you at this time.

Thanks,

Derek
Quality/Technical Rep"

CLStech 05-29-2014 10:14 AM

^^^^ sad day...

Quick reply though!

A-kon 05-29-2014 10:31 AM

It looks like I may be ordering a set of custom forged 21s after all. I don't want 22s. I don't want FR. I don't want cast wheels. I don't want run flats. I don't want bootleg tires. FML. LOL.