Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Forward Collision Warning - Cannot disable the braking (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/forward-collision-warning-cannot-disable-the-braking-75655.html)

ENFORCER 05-30-2014 01:22 AM

Forward Collision Warning - Cannot disable the braking

I have noticed that regardless of checking/unchecking the FCW Auto braking option will not disable the braking function of my car.

I have had the ! BRAKE ! come up 3 times and it slams on the brakes, without any danger of a collision. The last time nearly resulted in being rear ended, as the driver behind (or myself) was not expecting the car to brake.
Each time it has been caused by a car moving to a right hand turn lane, when I was travelling straight.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

allypally 05-30-2014 01:35 AM

Re: Forward Collision Warning - Cannot disable the braking

Never.
You might check the dome to see if it is loose. It may have come off 1 of the pivot screws.

ENFORCER 05-30-2014 04:18 AM

The dome is not the problem. I can understand why the FCW is reacting, as it would sometimes do it on the old Jeep, but the fact that I cannot disable it. If they have the option to turn it off, but it is still active, is not only dangerous (if you think it is off) but bloody annoying.

MY2014SRT 05-30-2014 04:49 AM

Yep drives me nuts. I switched it from near to far and it seems to be better.

First time was on the way home the day I picked it up. Turning left I was in the inside lane and a car to my right was turning too. All ok we both got around the corner then beep beep BRAKE and it applied the brakes but sounded more like grinding.

I had nothing in front of me so it must have detected a telegraph pole???

I've tried last minute lane changes but can't for the life of me emulate it. It just seems to have a life of it's own.

ENFORCER 05-30-2014 05:43 AM

The grinding noise is just the ABS pump, completely normal.
I wonder how they can have an option to turn it off, but it does nothing.
I have mine set for near, as my '11 would false on the far setting. I will try changing it to far and see if it is any better.

MY2014SRT 05-30-2014 06:12 AM

It's hit and miss. I tried on/off near & far but did a few hours driving today and it didn't activate so hopefully it's happy for the time being. Managed to roll over the 1,000k mark

Also noticed my auto headlights turn on in the day out of the blue and sometimes when returning to the car and pressing the brake to start the pedal is rock hard.

Can't say I've ever had a car with this much attitude but I'm happy to go with the flow :)

DCRSRT 05-30-2014 07:37 AM

Turn it off with the button on the lower panel of the centre console. AND, for us lucky '14 drivers it stays off, whereby the '13 and before it automatically turns back on with each key cycle.