Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - ZJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/)
-   -   My transmission slips sometimes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/my-transmission-slips-sometimes-75725.html)

garafola 06-01-2014 01:55 PM

My transmission slips sometimes

My transmission slips sometimes it nerve racking any ideas from someone

Frango100 06-01-2014 01:59 PM

Re: My tramsiom slips sometimes

Do you know which transmission it has? Does it slip in any gear, or a certain gear specific. No check engine light on?

garafola 06-01-2014 02:16 PM

No 1996 jeep grand cherokee 4x4, somestimes sift in to second. I took it to trans mission guy few years a go he put it on his machine said nothings wrong with it. When I got the jeep at 75,000 miles I changed fluid and filter. I always check fluid level. Has Lucas conditoning in it too . Chris Garafola downeasteralexa22@yahoo.com. Thanks

Frango100 06-01-2014 09:58 PM

Does the transmission slip since you had it scanned a few years ago? Maybe it was not showing anything then, but when it really slips there could be a fault code set now. How many miles on it now?
Still not clear to me when exactly it slips. Does it shift to second gear and stays there? Not familiar with the ZJ transmissions, but it could be that it goes into limp mode and doesn´t change gear anymore. The sluggish acceleration which comes from this could maybe give the impression that the transmission slips.

garafola 06-01-2014 11:21 PM

96,000 Sir

garafola 06-02-2014 04:16 AM

Frango, thank you for helping me. I know some where down the line I am going to have to do something with this transmission. I am disabled and it is very hard with the cash thing. I am lining toward a new transmission I think. There must be something on line. But I also know that it can something simple in the transmission. Finding an honest transmission guy is difficult. I just can not do the work anymore

Frango100 06-02-2014 07:06 AM

Re: My transmission slips sometimes

Which engine your jeep has? When you tell me that, i can find out which transmission is in there.
Could you also describe when exactly it is slipping, cold/hot, when accelerating from a stop or in a certain gear. This could help in the trouble shooting.

lstowell 06-02-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 1031068)
Does the transmission slip since you had it scanned a few years ago? Maybe it was not showing anything then, but when it really slips there could be a fault code set now. How many miles on it now?
Still not clear to me when exactly it slips. Does it shift to second gear and stays there? Not familiar with the ZJ transmissions, but it could be that it goes into limp mode and doesn´t change gear anymore. The sluggish acceleration which comes from this could maybe give the impression that the transmission slips.

On the ZJ 4.0, a fluid overfill can result in foaming and what feels like slipping, plus a reluctance to shift--but unfortunately not a bruise on the tech's head for overfilling it rather than finding and fixing a leak at the cooler/radiator connect.

If if has a cooler, make sure the hoses haven't come loose such that they are too close to the exhaust manifold--that also causes funny shifting.

I'd take it to somewhere that can read fault codes and see if it is setting any for pressure, then probably pull inspection for any clutches worn, etc.

garafola 06-05-2014 04:16 PM

Hi frango. The transmission is type Mopar atf plus 71761 <4.0> motor:slapfight:

garafola 06-05-2014 04:18 PM

Slips in lower gear

Frango100 06-05-2014 06:55 PM

I think that the mopar ATF + is pointing toward the transmission fluid type.
It should have the 42RE transmission as far as i could find. This transmission uses two bands which should hold planetary gear train components. These bands need to be adjusted once in a while. If the problem is a band, then it should be the front band, which is used in second gear. If it is already slipping in first gear, then it can not be a band adjustment problem. You did check the fluid level regulary, but did you also look at the colour and the smell of the fluid? When it is light red, it is normal. When it becomes brown without burnt smell, then its probably due for a change, but when its dark brown/black and/or smelling burnt, then there are serious problems and continue driving like this will for sure toast the transmission.

garafola 06-05-2014 07:01 PM

Thanks the fluid is not burned I check almost every day, On the lucas transmission conditioner it say its OK to over fill it, I have not done that yet