Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   Rear seat head rest (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/rear-seat-head-rest-75821.html)

wayne mcleod 06-04-2014 07:16 AM

Rear seat head rest

This is a follow up to a previous thread regarding larger buyers.
One thing I noticed when experimenting with my friends Limited is that once I had the drivers seat set up to accommodate myself (6'3" 285lbs.) the drivers side rear seat would not fold down flat. Rear seats were adjusted as far back as possible.
Unlike my Wrangler the Head Rests do not fold in the Cherokee.
Without constantly adjusting the front seat in order to fold the rear seat the simple solution was to remove the head rests. Doing this also gave a better field of vision all around the vehicle.....BONUS!
If anyone interested.......there are two spring clips where the head rests insert into the seat. One is very visible the other is slightly hidden. Bring rear seat to a 45 angle press and hold both springs. You may need a second pair of hands but head rest will slip out easily. :D

BillyWa 06-09-2014 11:48 AM

Re: Rear seat head rest

Can the front head rest be removed also?

wayne mcleod 06-09-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyWa (Post 1034589)

I honestly did not try however..... I'm sure it must be the same situation or close to it of the method of rear removal. If you attempt it and it works please let me know.
Good Luck!:)

Jeepster910 06-09-2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayne mcleod (Post 1032301)
This is a follow up to a previous thread regarding larger buyers.
One thing I noticed when experimenting with my friends Limited is that once I had the drivers seat set up to accommodate myself (6'3" 285lbs.) the drivers side rear seat would not fold down flat. Rear seats were adjusted as far back as possible.
Unlike my Wrangler the Head Rests do not fold in the Cherokee.
Without constantly adjusting the front seat in order to fold the rear seat the simple solution was to remove the head rests. Doing this also gave a better field of vision all around the vehicle.....BONUS!
If anyone interested.......there are two spring clips where the head rests insert into the seat. One is very visible the other is slightly hidden. Bring rear seat to a 45 angle press and hold both springs. You may need a second pair of hands but head rest will slip out easily. :D

Thanks!
That has been driving me crazy that it hits the front seat.
I'll have to look a bit harder for that 2nd clip.
:)

wayne mcleod 06-11-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyWa (Post 1034589)

Follow up to your question Billywa. Experimented with the front head rest in my friends limited and........... yes, they can be removed similar to the rear seat head rests. Exception is front seats are reclined 45 degrees. :)

biga9999 06-11-2014 06:47 PM

Is it safe to remove them? Don't they play a part in protecting your neck if hit from behind?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

wayne mcleod 06-11-2014 09:04 PM

[QUOTE=biga9999;1036130]Is it safe to remove them? Don't they play a part in protecting your neck if hit from behind?

Head Rests are definitely a safety feature in a rear end collision helping to prevent whip lash.
Just knowing that they can be removed is the issue here and for a variety of reasons that can give an individual options of his or her own choosing.
My issue was the inability to fold the rear seat when front seat was extended. If the Cherokee rear head rest had been designed to fold (downward) similar to my Wrangler (which fold upward) there would be no issue.

Another possible solution is to replace the high profile front head rests with the rear. This would still give the necessary protection while improving all-round vision.

To some this can be related as to the use of seat belts.........they are there but not everyone chooses to use them........ this is an individuals own personal choice but definitely foolish on their part if they choose not to use it!

Thanks for your concern.... it is well founded.:thumbsup:

Desert Hiker 06-12-2014 08:32 AM

The Cherokee front head rests have a piston that drives them forward in the case of a rear ender. IIRC, the rear head rests are not "active". A friend of mine was rear ended in his Grand Cherokee and credits the head rest for saving his neck.

Be safe out there!!!

Desert Hiker

wayne mcleod 06-12-2014 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=Desert Hiker;1036403]The Cherokee front head rests have a piston that drives them forward in the case of a rear ender. IIRC, the rear head rests are not "active". A friend of mine was rear ended in his Grand Cherokee and credits the head rest for saving his neck.

Be safe out there!!!

Desert Hiker thanks but.... just for clarification we are discussing the Cherokee not the Grand Cherokee and in what you say regarding your friend........ it was fortunate & most definitely beneficial on his/her part.

I have personally removed both sets of head rests in the 2014 Cherokee (there was no evidence of a piston & if there were I'm sure I would not have been able to remove the front set) :confused:.
Each set is identical to the other in regards to the support/insert posts, the only exception from front vs. rear is conformity & shape.

Using the rear set... up front will still allow the same neck/head protection as they are height adjustable in that area as well.

As I said before this is only an option that some may wish to consider along with the benefit of be able to fold the rear seats at any time without adjustment or effort.
I am single so the rear head rests are useless to me but would be a benefit up front as the design & contour of the current front head rests are a tad obtrusive & not to mention........ gives a much improved field of vision.

Many Thanks & Happy Trails :)

Desert Hiker 06-12-2014 01:36 PM

Wayne,

Yes, I'm speaking of the KL Cherokee (not GC) as well, aside from the anecdote about my GC-owning friend. The Cherokee KL does indeed feature the "active" front headrests - check out the full standard features list. Somewhere the front headrests are described as "piston driven". Lack of wires and an obvious piston is not really proof of a fixed headrest. It could be a leveraged inertial trigger acting on a sear releasing a spring pretensioned piston internal to the body of the headrest. Technically it's called a thingy because it's likely more complicated than a widget.

Carry on.

Desert Hiker

[QUOTE=wayne mcleod;1036521]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Hiker (Post 1036403)
The Cherokee front head rests have a piston that drives them forward in the case of a rear ender. IIRC, the rear head rests are not "active". A friend of mine was rear ended in his Grand Cherokee and credits the head rest for saving his neck.

Be safe out there!!!

Desert Hiker thanks but.... just for clarification we are discussing the Cherokee not the Grand Cherokee and in what you say regarding your friend........ it was fortunate & most definitely beneficial on his/her part.

I have personally removed both sets of head rests in the 2014 Cherokee (there was no evidence of a piston & if there were I'm sure I would not have been able to remove the front set) :confused:.
Each set is identical to the other in regards to the support/insert posts, the only exception from front vs. rear is conformity & shape.

Using the rear set... up front will still allow the same neck/head protection as they are height adjustable in that area as well.

As I said before this is only an option that some may wish to consider along with the benefit of be able to fold the rear seats at any time without adjustment or effort.
I am single so the rear head rests are useless to me but would be a benefit up front as the design & contour of the current front head rests are a tad obtrusive & not to mention........ gives a much improved field of vision.

Many Thanks & Happy Trails :)