Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Remove Front Valence for Better Approach Angle? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/remove-front-valence-for-better-approach-angle-75864.html)

twobars 06-05-2014 10:29 AM

Remove Front Valence for Better Approach Angle?

Does anyone have experience removing the front bottom piece of the bumper to increase their approach angle while offroading? Looking to wheel my '14 overland today for the first time and would like to remove that piece to avoid damage. Any help would be great

lstowell 06-06-2014 01:59 PM

Re: Remove Front Valence for Better Approach Angle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobars (Post 1032826)
Does anyone have experience removing the front bottom piece of the bumper to increase their approach angle while offroading? Looking to wheel my '14 overland today for the first time and would like to remove that piece to avoid damage. Any help would be great

Owners Manual Starting and Operating section.

"OFF-ROAD DRIVING TIPS
NOTE: Prior to off-road driving, remove the front air
dam to prevent damage. The front air dam is attached to
the lower front fascia with seven quarter turn fasteners
and can be removed by hand. The front license plate
bracket must be removed first if equipped."

If you don't need to do it, I wouldn't, it is kind of a pain in the neck.

eibyer 06-06-2014 02:14 PM

Be careful when removing the front air dam and getting on the highway, there is a post here where the exposed liners got ripped. If you're talking about just removing the little winglets... here's a link to a 2011-2013, probably the same for 2014.
"Alice", my WK2 Laredo 4x4 - JeepForum.com

mtnmerlin 06-06-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobars (Post 1032826)

It is easy. I have done it several times. There are seven latches to rotate 90 degrees by hand, then pull it off. No tools required.

I once forgot to take it off before heading out and had to remove it in a dirt road. I got a dirty and had to fold down the seats and throw it in the back. Best to do before heading out....

lstowell 06-09-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnmerlin (Post 1033452)
It is easy. I have done it several times. There are seven latches to rotate 90 degrees by hand, then pull it off. No tools required.

I once forgot to take it off before heading out and had to remove it in a dirt road. I got a dirty and had to fold down the seats and throw it in the back. Best to do before heading out....

I always carry a heavy canvas tarp folded up in the cargo area. Never know when you might need to stick something muddy back there...

Geebee69 09-11-2014 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 46066

It comes of easy. Too easy.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage