Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Transmission learning. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/transmission-learning-75892.html)

redddog 06-06-2014 08:13 AM

Transmission learning.

I keep hearing about the fact that the transmission is learning how you drive.

What exactly does that mean?

It sounds all cool and stuff but what the hell is it learning exactly? And what if I'M stupid? Am I teaching my truck to suck? Do different drivers confuse the crap out of it and it becomes an idiot?

Some clarification on this would be awesome.

Thanks all.

Tony407 06-08-2014 03:20 PM

Re: Transmission learning.

Long story short (generally speaking, not sure about how our Jeeps implement this system as each manufacturer is invariably different):

A computer remembers how you drive (aggressive, lazy, etc.) and then adjusts the shift points and shift crispness appropriately. Also, it supposedly monitors things like road gradient and lateral G's to provide a more comfortable and "safe" driving experience.

If I were you, I'd Google "adaptive automatic transmission" and read the plethora of information out there.

Tony

jp467 06-08-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redddog (Post 1033292)
I keep hearing about the fact that the transmission is learning how you drive.

What exactly does that mean?

It sounds all cool and stuff but what the hell is it learning exactly? And what if I'M stupid? Am I teaching my truck to suck? Do different drivers confuse the crap out of it and it becomes an idiot?

Some clarification on this would be awesome.

Thanks all.

The simple answer is yes.

ExcursionDiesel 06-08-2014 07:08 PM

Read the TSB that outlines a forced relearn. The tranny doesn't learn forever. It establishes a baseline tuning after a certain number of shift events. During this time, it adjusts the clutch timings and pressures.

I pulled the F60 fuse (TCM power) for 30 minutes, reinstalled, then drove as specified in the TSB. It smoothed my shifting significantly. It is a very specific driving procedure.

AAAA 06-09-2014 07:53 AM

Mine learned during the first 10,000 miles. I actually could tell it was happening. For example, periodic rough downshifts at stop signs eventually went away.

redddog 06-09-2014 07:56 AM

I guess I am noticing the tranny smoothing.

Down shifts are way better and overall responsiveness is better.

I'm at 1700 miles.

jacko15 06-09-2014 09:11 AM

14 months and 5,000 miles, never had an update, not even the rapid response. I have absolutely no problems with the shifting. The rough shifts and downshifts in lower gears smoothed out many months ago. I rarely take it out of eco mode. Sport mode throws me back in the seat, and accelerates like crazy if I need it, which is rarely. I travel the interstates frequently, and also drive in the city almost every day. I've owned zoom zooms, like Formula Firebirds and 350 4 bbl Novas, so I know what a fast car feels like. The only time my v6 Jeep is only a little lacking is accelerating from 65 to 80, and I don't need that at all. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I wouldn't change anything about my Jeep.

redddog 06-09-2014 09:14 AM

14 months and 5000 miles?

You barely drive that thing!

lstowell 06-09-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 1034487)
Mine learned during the first 10,000 miles. I actually could tell it was happening. For example, periodic rough downshifts at stop signs eventually went away.

Interesting... the rough downshifts at stops, or when cruising slowly thru parking lots, etc. were why I had the V8's transmission code updated.

At delivery Jun '13, I had them reset the learning, but even at 17-18 K miles, it still had this mild rough downshift.

After the TSB, I asked them to reset the learning even though the TSB indicates this is not necessary, and almost immediately the downshifts were way smoother... possibly a bit too smooth as it looks like one of the changes in the TSB is to just leave it in a higher gear when coming to a stop at slow speed--so for the first couple days I had to adjust my braking just slightly. The jerky parking lot behavior was also gone
immediately after the TSB flash--as I drive in a really really big parking lot every day on commute.

Now you got me wondering if just another reset would have been about as good.

AAAA 06-09-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 1034626)
Interesting... the rough downshifts at stops, or when cruising slowly thru parking lots, etc. were why I had the V8's transmission code updated.

At delivery Jun '13, I had them reset the learning, but even at 17-18 K miles, it still had this mild rough downshift.

After the TSB, I asked them to reset the learning even though the TSB indicates this is not necessary, and almost immediately the downshifts were way smoother... possibly a bit too smooth as it looks like one of the changes in the TSB is to just leave it in a higher gear when coming to a stop at slow speed--so for the first couple days I had to adjust my braking just slightly. The jerky parking lot behavior was also gone
immediately after the TSB flash--as I drive in a really really big parking lot every day on commute.

Now you got me wondering if just another reset would have been about as good.

I can't comment. I have the 6 cylinder and have never had a TSB applied for anything.

jacko15 06-09-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redddog (Post 1034514)
14 months and 5000 miles?

You barely drive that thing!

I actually have a life outside of driving my Jeep. :D

ExcursionDiesel 06-09-2014 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 1034690)
I actually have a life outside of driving my Jeep. :D

I wish I did. I drive 30k+ a year in mine. My GC did carry the family to the beach this week. 31.4 mpg on 4 lane roads at 65 to 70 mph.