Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   FCW Scared the bejeezus out of me yesterday (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/fcw-scared-the-bejeezus-out-of-me-yesterday-75895.html)

SW03ES 06-06-2014 09:02 AM

FCW Scared the bejeezus out of me yesterday

Driving on a neighborhood street about 20MPH, FCW decides to go off with nothing in front of the Jeep. Quite startling to say the least. At least there was nobody behind me.

I know this isn't only a Jeep issue with this technology, on the Lexus forum I post on people have also had similar problems. I'll be deactivating the FCW. Technology is not quite there yet IMHO.

GCLimited 06-06-2014 10:08 AM

Re: FCW Scared the bejeezus out of me yesterday

One of the many reasons I did not pony up the extra money for this option...your's isn't the only post I've read about this happening to them.

I've also read many posts where the owners just turn off FCW just because of the frequency of false warnings.

SW03ES 06-06-2014 10:27 AM

Yeah the FCW wasn't something we really cared about, the adaptive cruise is. It so far has worked great.

5.7summit 06-06-2014 11:58 AM

I too love the ACC and would hate to get rid of it! But I thought you could turn off the automatic braking feature of the FCW. It has come on a few times and while I can deal with all the beeping and lights I can't stand when it puts the brakes on for me.

Scottina06 06-06-2014 12:00 PM

Ive never had it activate falsely

Dan JGC 06-06-2014 12:11 PM

I've found the FCW to be helpful. In my 2011 I had a "false" alarm I think twice but it really wasn't false as there is a turn in the road and the median has large bushes and huge rock that it does look like you are headed straight for it until you veer right. Once what must have been the post stations in the road to keep you in your lane to prevent the other side from doing left hand turns....again is the angle I was approaching them that made them look bigger (in a row) and that I was headed for them. My 2014 hasn't had any false alarms and actually was helpful once. I give it a thumpsup from my experience.

GCOverland 06-06-2014 12:23 PM

On my 2013 Lincoln MKZ, it sometimes comes on when I'm driving at a higher speed and approaching vehicles that stopped but are standing on a turn-lane next to the lane I'm on. However, I don't get too many "false alarms".

Hammerhead 06-06-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.7summit (Post 1033382)
I too love the ACC and would hate to get rid of it! But I thought you could turn off the automatic braking feature of the FCW. It has come on a few times and while I can deal with all the beeping and lights I can't stand when it puts the brakes on for me.

To Change The FCW Sensitivity And Active Braking Settings With Uconnect® 8.4/8.4A System Screen — If Equipped.
Follow these steps to set the FCW Sensitivity and Active
Braking:
1. Press the “Controls” soft-key located on the bottom of the Uconnect® display.
2. Press the “Settings” soft-key.
3. Press the “Safety & Driving Assistance” soft-key.
4. Press the “FWD Collision Warning”, Far or Near soft-key for your desired preference.
5. Press the “Active Braking” On or Off soft-key.

Hammerhead 06-06-2014 02:11 PM

I got a few false alarms on my regular commute where the road curve to the right and the radar sees cars stopped in the left turn lane that is straight ahead before the lanes shift so our FCW has been off for a few months. I might try turning it back on again just to get more experience with it.

5.7summit 06-06-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerhead (Post 1033447)
To Change The FCW Sensitivity And Active Braking Settings With Uconnect® 8.4/8.4A System Screen — If Equipped.
Follow these steps to set the FCW Sensitivity and Active
Braking:
1. Press the “Controls” soft-key located on the bottom of the Uconnect® display.
2. Press the “Settings” soft-key.
3. Press the “Safety & Driving Assistance” soft-key.
4. Press the “FWD Collision Warning”, Far or Near soft-key for your desired preference.
5. Press the “Active Braking” On or Off soft-key.

I have it set to near and active braking set to off but it still will put on the brakes for me. I hate when it does that

SW03ES 06-06-2014 03:47 PM

My wife called me today, happened to her on the way home from work this afternoon, on the highway. I'll play with the settings when I get home tonight but will likely just turn it off.

aboyce85 06-06-2014 04:36 PM

Is there any way to set the FCW indicator to show when it's tracking a vehicle in front of you? I noticed that it only shows with ACC set, when I'm not using ACC I can't verify that it's actually tracking a vehicle in it's line of sight. Probably not a big deal, but the other vehicle I drive does show when a vehicle is in it's line of sight and it does not even have ACC ('14 Impala). I just like to know that it's working...

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage