Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   "Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan" Letter a Sham? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/mopar-vehicle-protection-plan-letter-a-sham-76020.html)

GCLimited 06-10-2014 08:54 AM

"Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan" Letter a Sham?

A week ago I received a letter from Mopar Vehicle Protection at Troy MI stating if my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee is less than 12 months old and has less than 12,000 miles on it (currently 3 months old with less than 3,000 miles on it), and if I called 1-800-336-2895 before June 20th, I'd save $150 on the price of a Mopar vehicle protection plan.

To find out what the plan would cost before the special discount, I got on to www.jeep.com and found that the 5 yr/60,000 Maximum Care plan was $1,080.

So I called Mopar Vehicle Protection and basically got the run around from the sales rep. Their price for the same plan was also $1,080, and the $150 savings was already "built in".

Has anyone else received this letter from Mopar Vehicle Protection, and did anyone actually get the $150 taken off the price?

:confused:

Jim_in_PA 06-10-2014 09:04 AM

Re: "Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan" Letter a Sham?

There is a "discount" for buying a Mopar extended service contract before 12 mos/12k miles...the price increases after that. What's at issue here is the semantics of the marketing language used in the letter and in the conversation you had. The letter and the rep should have stated that the "price is X until you reach 12 mos/12k mile and then is Y after that". (until eligibility to purchase expires)

Whether you buy directly from Mopar or from another source, such as Ziegler, the price changes at 12 mos/12K miles.

devilsadvocate 06-10-2014 09:07 AM

If you want to confirm the $150, feel free to price another quote for a car that is over 1 year and 12k miles. You will notice that the quote is $150 more.

GCLimited 06-10-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilsadvocate (Post 1035114)

If you want to confirm the $150, feel free to price another quote for a car that is over 1 year and 12k miles. You will notice that the quote is $150 more.

From Mopar Vehicle Protection? I don't believe I can. The letter is specifically addressed to me...complete with a "Customer ID" number that when given to the sales rep, lists my specific vehicle.

devilsadvocate 06-10-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 1035130)
From Mopar Vehicle Protection? I don't believe I can. The letter is specifically addressed to me...complete with a "Customer ID" number that when given to the sales rep, lists my specific vehicle.

Ok, I got it online through Harold Zeigler so I tried it and indeed saw the $150 difference. If you're really bothered you can get quotes from various other sources and if you get a lower quote cancel your current contract and replace with a different one.

GCLimited 06-10-2014 10:12 AM

Thanks for the advice devilsadvocate, I'll give that a try.

I have a couple questions for people who have a some sort of Mopar extended service contract:

1) Let's say I have a tranny issue like hard shifting that Jeep so happens to have a comprehensive TSB to correct (e.g. a TCM reflash). Would I have to pay the $100 deducable to get this done?

2) If my Jeep is declared a lemon, and Chrysler ends up buying it back from me, would I be reimbursed the cost of the extended warranty...a "pro-rated" reimbursement at least?

macfan 06-10-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 1035161)
Thanks for the advice devilsadvocate, I'll give that a try.

I have a couple questions for people who have a some sort of Mopar extended service contract:

1) Let's say I have a tranny issue like hard shifting that Jeep so happens to have a comprehensive TSB to correct (e.g. a TCM reflash). Would I have to pay the $100 deducable to get this done?

2) If my Jeep is declared a lemon, and Chrysler ends up buying it back from me, would I be reimbursed the cost of the extended warranty...a "pro-rated" reimbursement at least?

1.) That would depend on how old your Jeep was and how many miles were on it. If it was still under the original Warranty then there would be no deductible but if not and under the new Service Contract then there would be a deductible.

2.) I believe you would get a pro rated amount back as the Service Contract adds to the value of the vehicle. I know if you get into an accident and total the vehicle the insurance will pro rate the Service Contract in the payoff.

Jim_in_PA 06-10-2014 12:26 PM

macfan is correct, AFAIK, on both counts. The pro-rate refund is actually in the contract language of my Mopar MaxCare Lifetime Service Contract.

lstowell 06-10-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 1035130)

Lets just say that "sham" might be too harsh a word, possibly "creative marketing" might apply.

... or just file the letter in file drawer 13, since it is probably too rough and heavy to use while finishing up on the throne.

Amazing the volume of crap you can get from just registering a new vehicle isn't it.

GCLimited 06-10-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 1035224)

Lets just say that "sham" might be too harsh a word, possibly "creative marketing" might apply.

I hear you...

It's just that the letter states "A $150 savings on the price of a Mopar Vehicle Protection plan is available...", but in fact that's not the case.

I'm not pissed off or anything, Chrysler just doesn't get my money...that's all.

Jim_in_PA 06-10-2014 03:07 PM

Yep...you save the $150 by doing it now before your odometer clicks over to 12001 or the calendar turns over to 12 mos and 1 day from date of purchase. Isn't marketing wonderful?

jp467 06-10-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 1035234)
I hear you...

It's just that the letter states "A $150 savings on the price of a Mopar Vehicle Protection plan is available...", but in fact that's not the case.

I'm not pissed off or anything, Chrysler just doesn't get my money...that's all.

To answer a couple of your questions you would pay the 100 dollar deductable after the factory expires and if you sold the vehicle or even kept it you can cancel and get a prorated refund. You can probably get it cheaper from an online dealer anyhow.