Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   My Jeep needs a quart of oil ... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/my-jeep-needs-a-quart-of-oil-76040.html)

bill_de 06-10-2014 07:37 PM

My Jeep needs a quart of oil ...

... Only a couple of thousand miles after an oil change. The last time I had to add a quart of oil to any of my vehicles I used a spout that punctured the top of the can to open it.

I hope this isn't going to be typical.

---

Jim_in_PA 06-10-2014 07:40 PM

Re: My Jeep needs a quart of oil ...

The Hemi does use a little oil normally, Bill. I find I add about one quart between my 8000M oil changes. It's the nature of that particular engine, according to many other discussions on the same. It's also why so many folks buy the catch cans...

jgc4ever 06-10-2014 08:48 PM

Thanks for posting this. Reminded me to check the oil in the Hemi. At the add line so I added 1/2 quart and that brought it up half way into the x-hatches. I'm at 6,000 miles since my last oil change, 5w20 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. Will go another 1,500 to 2,000 miles before changing the oil and filter. I had 16 hemi spark plugs (Mopar / NGK) waiting on my porch from justforjeeps.com and Jeep is at 29,985 miles so I'll need to change those soon.

TypeRod 06-11-2014 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 1035465)
... Only a couple of thousand miles after an oil change. The last time I had to add a quart of oil to any of my vehicles I used a spout that punctured the top of the can to open it.

I hope this isn't going to be typical.

---

Bill, how many miles total on your JGC? Just curious....

bill_de 06-11-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeRod (Post 1035708)
Bill, how many miles total on your JGC? Just curious....

Just shy of 8,000 miles.

---

LTrainGC 06-11-2014 09:31 AM

Do you have a catch can?

I'm at 26k miles now and I change my oil every 5,000 miles and haven't experienced any oil loss between changes other than what is sitting in the catch can (which is usually about 3/4 or so full after 5k miles).

GCLimited 06-11-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 1035465)

The last time I had to add a quart of oil to any of my vehicles I used a spout that punctured the top of the can to open it.

:eek:

Wow...that was a long time ago, huh? I can't remember the last time I've seen an actual "can" of oil on the store shelves.

bill_de 06-11-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTrainGC (Post 1035817)
Do you have a catch can?

No Catch Can

lstowell 06-11-2014 11:26 AM

Was the oil near a quart low right after the oil change?
I've noticed that on every oil change, the level is pretty close to the low mark.

Other than topping that up to just below the full level, I haven't used a full quart of oil in 17.8K miles... no catch can. Recalling older hemi folklore, NOT using a bit of oil is kinda scary.

TypeRod 06-11-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 1035812)
Just shy of 8,000 miles.

---

When you first bought the vehicle were you "liberal" with acceleration? or did you baby the throttle? When I bought a new vehicle I used to baby them thru the break in period, but my 2014 JGC Hemi and my previous vehicle, a 2013 VW Passat TDI, I just went ahead and followed the advice of just not being afraid to give the motor full throttle acceleration once in a while, and to accelerate moderately. Supposedly this will help with the piston rings getting seated, sort of forcing the rings out towards the cylinder wall and creating good contact. I never saw any oil loss on the 2 years I had my Passat it had about 18K on it when I traded it in for my 2014 JGC, and I only have 700 miles on my JGC so time will tell if this theory is good for my JGC, lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTrainGC (Post 1035817)
Do you have a catch can?

I'm at 26k miles now and I change my oil every 5,000 miles and haven't experienced any oil loss between changes other than what is sitting in the catch can (which is usually about 3/4 or so full after 5k miles).

Which catch can are you using? I would like to install one but I'm a little gun shy due to it being out of my realm of installation, lol. It's purpose is supposed to catch blow by oil fumes, correct? Im not to familiar with them at all, but if it prevents something bad from happening, Im all for it! lol!

LTrainGC 06-11-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeRod (Post 1035875)
Which catch can are you using? I would like to install one but I'm a little gun shy due to it being out of my realm of installation, lol. It's purpose is supposed to catch blow by oil fumes, correct? Im not to familiar with them at all, but if it prevents something bad from happening, Im all for it! lol!

I am using the one from Billet Technology (they are a vendor here). It's very easy to install - if you can change your oil I'd guess that you could do this.

TypeRod 06-11-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTrainGC (Post 1035876)
I am using the one from Billet Technology (they are a vendor here). It's very easy to install - if you can change your oil I'd guess that you could do this.

Did you get one and add on all the fancy trimmings, like braided hoses and such? Are there two types of fittings available, a barbed type and a screw on type? I would be more comfortable about getting one if I knew the installation procedure before hand. I assume one end of the hose goes somewhere onto the intake tube and the other end of the other hose goes onto...? Thanks in advance!

Sorry don't mean to hi-jack this thread OP!