Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Just returned from an 800 mile round trip to southern WV in my new 2014 Overland... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/just-returned-from-an-800-mile-round-trip-to-southern-wv-in-my-new-2014-overland-76074.html)

SW03ES 06-11-2014 02:04 PM

Just returned from an 800 mile round trip to southern WV in my new 2014 Overland...

As the title says, just returned from an 800 mile round trip in the Jeep, which now has 1,850 miles. Trip included 325 miles each way of highway 80MPH stints with heavy mountain grades, country roads, some rutted gravel roads and some rocky light offloading.

Trip overall went great. The Jeep performed beautifully, ACC is awesome, comfortable, quiet and smooth in everything it does. Very confident on the back country roads, and in the light offloading we did the quadra-lift was very helpful in making sure I never had to worry about hanging a corner up on anything.

Transmission shifted great, even on long 7% upgrades and downgrades. I was very impressed by its ability to be in the right gear to keep me from having to use the brakes when going down steep country switchbacks.

Huge improvement in every conceivable way from the 2011...except perhaps the front which is growing on me but still not as universally handsome as the 2011 IMHO. Very happy with my purchase.

Hiccups:

1. I don't love the way the new bluetooth audio works. No way to seek and find music when hooked up to an iPhone through BT...this was doable on the 2011 and is on my Lexus. When plugged in it works great, when using BT you have to select songs on the iPhone itself...lame.

2. The memory seats seem to have remembered our settings as being much closer to the dash than there are. My brother drove it briefly while I was there and when I got back in it and pressed my setting it seemed way too close to the dash. When my wife got back in it this morning after I got back her setting was the same way. Weird.

3. A large bug cancelled my ACC which was just sort of funny. Had to clean him off.

4. Passenger seat seems to be creaking when a passenger is in it. My brother was laying back on the way back and I noticed it on the windy/twisty sections of I-64.

Jeep is all clean now, not a mark anywhere which is great considering all the highway driving and trucks, etc.

Very pleased :thumbsup:

SnoFire 06-11-2014 02:18 PM

Re: Just returned from an 800 mile round trip to southern WV in my new 2014 Overland.

Sounds great Steve, glad you had a fun trip and the Jeep worked as it should.

Angler 06-11-2014 07:22 PM

Re: Just returned from an 800 mile round trip to southern WV in my new 2014 Overland.

Nice report. Glad y'all had a good time and your Jeep performed well. :thumbsup: Funny about the bug cancelling out your ACC! Something to remember during the summer. :lol:

Jim_in_PA 06-11-2014 07:53 PM

My very first trip after buying my MY12 Summit was also to southern WV. :) The day after I bought it....1000 niles round-trip. LOL I thoroughly enjoyed that ride and have done the same route several times since.

'Glad you are enjoying your new Overland!

(You may see me around Gaithersburg on occasion...'have a customer there, too)

SW03ES 06-11-2014 07:57 PM

Yeah and I watched the bug sail in there too and as soon as he hit I lost ACC LOL

Where in Southern, WV Jim? I'm originally from Fayetteville, thats where I was this weekend.

Shoot me a PM sometime you're in G'burg! We'll have a mini Jeeper meet!

Jim_in_PA 06-12-2014 09:49 AM

Parkersburg is a several-times-a-year destination for me, Steve. I'll try to remember when I'm next hitting G'burg to message you. Dogfish Head Ale House is an excellent place to "meet and greet". LOL

SW03ES 06-12-2014 10:04 AM

Cool! Yeah Dogfish Head is about 3 miles from our house.

Zhe Wiz 06-12-2014 11:00 AM

We have a long-ish trip to take tomorrow, lots of highway driving. It's just my wife and I, so we SHOULD take the Prius and it's 50MPG highway mileage, BUT I so want to take the Jeep, especially after reports like this! So hard to drive the Prius now on ANY trip, let alone long ones. The Jeep's ACC is great, BSM is nice, and it's so quiet and comfortable! Everything about it is better...except the MPGs.

I'm guessing the GC is going to win. :)

SW03ES 06-12-2014 11:04 AM

Take the Jeep. Our 2011 Jeep replaced a Prius...ugh ;)

Zhe Wiz 06-13-2014 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 1036482)
Take the Jeep. Our 2011 Jeep replaced a Prius...ugh ;)

We took the Jeep. :D 30.0 MPG round trip 215 miles. Mixture of 55 MPH back roads, a little 65 MPH highway, and a little city streets. 30 MPG is no Prius, but I'm happy with it!

Weather was interesting. Misted, poured, rained, sunshine, rinse repeat. REALLY made me appreciate the auto wipers. VERY nice not having to constantly adjust the wiper speed, computer took care of everything. Love it.

ACC was again flawless and made driving much less stressful. It tracks vehicles (even a motorcycle) MUCH better than our 05 Sienna did. That system tended to "lose" other cars if they were too far left or right in the lane, went around too sharp of a corner, or over a hill. The Jeep seems to track and hold tight, never lost contact in any condition, even when raining. Tech has improved a lot in the last 9 years.

I'm so spoiled. Love this car, did NOT miss the Prius! :thumbsup:

SW03ES 06-13-2014 07:37 PM

Awesome! 30MPG! Wow. Guy who works for me just picked up his Overland diesel today. Maybe I should have gotten that lol

Jim_in_PA 06-13-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 1036482)
Take the Jeep. Our 2011 Jeep replaced a Prius...ugh

My wife's Outback Limited replaced a Prius...and my Summit replaced Highlander Hybrid. I miss the mileage, but both of our current vehicles are the most comfortable we've ever owned for both local and highway travel. I would have bought the diesel JGC if it had been available at the time!